Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Specific type of PVC-Free Flip  (Read 1242 times)

Offline lv88

• Consul
    • Armenian Numismatic Page
Specific type of PVC-Free Flip
« on: January 30, 2010, 01:10:12 pm »
Morning All,

A while back, I bought a group of PVC free flips looking like the picture below. They are relatively hard plastic, with rounded edges. So, when you play around with them a lot they come apart and break into 2, but I suppose they keep the coins well preserved. And my only concern is that the coins scratch them, which leads me to wonder if the coins get damaged from this.

So, my two questions are, is there damage from this type of flip, and can someone PM me to tell where I can find and restock! I really cannot remember where I bought them last time.

Levon

Offline 284ad

• Praetorian
  • biberunt ut Gothi
    • My collection blog.
Re: Specific type of PVC-Free Flip
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 07:37:48 am »
I just got stung with 200 pvc flips.

I was told they were PVC free but I just tested them and they are definitely PVC.

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 08:49:54 am »
There are two type of PVC flips - hard ones and soft ones. The soft ones contain plasticizers (which is what make them soft), which is the main thing that makes them potentially harmful to coins over the long term.

Sometimes the safer hard PVC flips are incorrectly called PVC free, but the real non-PVC flips are made of a different plastic, Mylar, such as those sold under the brand "SA Flips".

Ben

Offline crawforde

• Consul
  • Historia est testis temporum, lux veritatis ...
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 08:02:06 pm »
I just picked up some nice ones from FORVM  :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity