Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lighting direction when photographing coins  (Read 26939 times)

Offline James Anderson

• Consul
Re: Lighting direction when photographing coins
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2010, 12:19:48 pm »
Pat-This is what happens when you wear a University of Florida tee shirt at LSU :)!

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2010, 11:27:58 pm »
Oh, mine is really, really orange.  I got it from a stack of guys' tee shirts at a K-Mart on the outskirts of Huntsville, Alabama.  Also a green one beyond the pale for beer in NYC on March 17th.  They are XXL and come nearly to my knees, great for summer in BR.
But I do have some khaki and some white ones, too, for photographic garb.  Pat L.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2010, 01:37:42 am »
Just to complete the record: here's the same Pius Consecratio denarius photographed the same way but with a WHITE tee shirt instead of an orange one on the photographer.
Pat L.
CLICK

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2010, 02:51:00 am »
I use a wireless remote shutter release so I can stand back and not affect the coin shot (mainly to keep from vibrating the camera and taking a blurry photo). The live view feed is piped via USB to my computer screen so I don't need to look through the lens to compose the shot. With my setup, I can also focus the lens remotely, so after positioning the camera and lighting, I don't have to touch it at all. I turn off all room lights except for those used to illuminate the coin, so ambient lighting or reflections from colored objects in the room won't be a problem.

Despite all that, I still like your photos better, Pat.

Respectfully,
Danny

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2010, 03:31:08 am »
Like Danny, I no longer have a clothing colour issue with coin photos.  The camera is off to my right.  I control it from my computer, adjusting focus, aperture and exposure time with my mouse and using the close-up preview on screen to get the right focus.  This is a major step forward in ease of control for this kind of photo.  Among other things, the lack of contact with camera or stage means that I can take several shots with different settings that can be overlaid and merged, which can sometimes be useful.

The only drawback is that I have to disconnect the camera from the computer to make it save a reference frame for custom white balance.  But I use the same setup and conditions every time, so I rarely have to reset that.

Then I hold the mouse off the table, sit still and hold my breath before taking the shot with a mouse click. It's surprising how easy it is to blur an image with a vibration.

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2010, 09:31:10 am »
Like Danny, I no longer have a clothing colour issue with coin photos.  The camera is off to my right.  I control it from my computer, adjusting focus, aperture and exposure time with my mouse and using the close-up preview on screen to get the right focus.  This is a major step forward in ease of control for this kind of photo.  Among other things, the lack of contact with camera or stage means that I can take several shots with different settings that can be overlaid and merged, which can sometimes be useful.

The only drawback is that I have to disconnect the camera from the computer to make it save a reference frame for custom white balance.  But I use the same setup and conditions every time, so I rarely have to reset that.

Then I hold the mouse off the table, sit still and hold my breath before taking the shot with a mouse click. It's surprising how easy it is to blur an image with a vibration.

Bill

Another feature you can use to help control vibration is the mirror lockup feature. The opening and slap of the mirror can cause minor movement of the camera causing a slight vibration. In macro photography, the effects are magnified, and any little thing you can do to control the vibration helps. Canon now has a 100mm Macro lens with image stabilization. That will probably be my next purchase.

Anyway, back on topic, the vibration can also be controlled with a higher shutter speed, in which proper lighting is necessary.

Respectfully,
Danny

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2010, 10:28:09 am »
I'll probably have to get a real camera for the ability to connect it to the computer and shoot with a mouse-click alone.
I always have to screw the camera to the copy stand, see that it's level, shoot and then remove it and hook it up to the computer. If I got the lighting wrong again I usually have no motivation to repeat the process.
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity