Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sauroktonos coins  (Read 13408 times)

corso

Sauroktonos coins
« on: January 10, 2010, 09:17:38 am »
I regard Laurence article on Sauroktonos coins rather poor. She still believes that Praxiteles travelled to Parion to carve his Eros. On the contrary now everybody believes that Praxiteles worked at home in his own workshop based in Athens and that the patrons went there to ask for statues and to pick them up when they were ready (see Pliny 36. 20-22). Moreover she believes that the Sauroktonos on a coin type of Prusias ad Olympum is an Apollo: on the contrary already Rizzo in 1932 understood he was an Eros. Finally she thinks that Apollonia ad Rhyndacum struck coins with a Praxitelean Apollo from around 140 AD. Con the contrary this series begins with Domitian. She cites my suggestion without having read my books on Praxiteles, just through the grotesque presentation of my theory given by Martinez in the Louvre catalogue on an exhibition on Praxiteles. That is very uncorrect.
Antonio Corso

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: Sauroktonos coins
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 09:43:47 am »
I regard Laurence article on Sauroktonos coins rather poor. She still believes that Praxiteles travelled to Parion to carve his Eros. On the contrary now everybody believes that Praxiteles worked at home in his own workshop based in Athens and that the patrons went there to ask for statues and to pick them up when they were ready (see Pliny 36. 20-22). Moreover she believes that the Sauroktonos on a coin type of Prusias ad Olympum is an Apollo: on the contrary already Rizzo in 1932 understood he was an Eros. Finally she thinks that Apollonia ad Rhyndacum struck coins with a Praxitelean Apollo from around 140 AD. Con the contrary this series begins with Domitian. She cites my suggestion without having read my books on Praxiteles, just through the grotesque presentation of my theory given by Martinez in the Louvre catalogue on an exhibition on Praxiteles. That is very uncorrect.
Antonio Corso

Hello Antonio, and welcome to this foum!

So you have one theory on Apollo Sauroktonos coins and Patricia Lawrence (?) is the person who has a different theory?

Maybe it would be more polite just to tell us your theory and discuss the advantages of yours instead telling us also that someone else is wrong.
But thats my own humble opinion.

Best regards,

A.

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
    • Eros on Roman Provincial Coinage
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 09:54:45 am »
Moreover she believes that the Sauroktonos on a coin type of Prusias ad Olympum is an Apollo: on the contrary already Rizzo in 1932 understood he was an Eros.

Do you mean Prusa ad Olympum (as opposed to Prusias ad Hypium)? Which coin are you referring to?

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 10:15:49 am »
I think I've found the answers to my own questions. The article that you take such exception to is presumably Pat Lawrence's essay on the numismatic Sauroktonoi
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/ayiyoryitika/saurcoins/ayiyoryitika-saurcoins.htm
hosted here on FORVM. The "Eros" that you refer to is her no.9:

9  Æ 23.  Prusa ad Olympum.  Commodus, laureate, head to r.  AUT K M AURHLIOS KOMODOS ANTWN.  Rev., Apollo Sauroktonos stg. r., but nearly frontal; the type is perfect, but the dart and lizard are only implied.  PROUS    AEWN.  Waddington, RG II, p. 580, no. 25, pl. 99, 21. (Oxford, Ashmolean, Image 4800s1).     

Well, I've been looking at images of Eros fairly intensively for several years now and I'm afraid that, Mr. Rizzo's opinion notwithstanding, I don't believe that this is one. If you can provide evidence to demonstrate that this is an Eros, and not Apollo Sauroktonos, I would be most appreciative, though very surprised.

Francis

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 09:00:03 pm »
First, I repeat a technical note from the date of posting the web page.  Where my font said that all the omegas are  :Greek_Omega: the server software supplied English W, the most potentially misleading of all the crazy substitutions (and the Picasa servers, reportedly running on Linux/Unix, have lots more crazy substitutions).

Second, I add another Prusa coin, which a kind Forvm member found for me, now in my Picasa album of larger images for the Sauroktonos page: http://picasaweb.google.com/slokind/SaurCoins#5367447131324056658
The Waddington Prusa coin is, as Britannicus said, no. 9 on my web page, at the address he gives, and (since it from an outside source) I illustrate it only there, not in the Picasa album where the new coin can be found.

Third, I did emphasize that the web page is only the numismatic evidence for the coins properly considered as Sauroktonoi.  The tangled mess of art historical literature has no place in a web page meant only to be helpful to numismatists and collectors of coins.

Fourth, I do understand that reading a language not one's own requires closer attention.  But Mr. Corso paid no attention, I think, to what I actually wrote.  And he did not even cite AMNG IV for Domitian (which shows the figure from a different angle but is nonetheless, I agree with Britannicus, not an Eros but, as von Fritze said, ibid., p 70, no. 210, Taf. IV, 10, an Apollo), let alone the obvious Sauroktonos-like pose of the Nerva coin, of which I illustrated a photo in the essay under Pastiches at the end of my web page.  Corso seems unaware, indeed, of the array of Apollo types even in century-old plates in AMNG IV, that  Apollonia Rhyndacum displayed.  I do, however, take great pains to read Italian very exactly, just as if it were Greek or Latin or German, for example, and I do not pretend to be able to read Polish or Hungarian.

Fifth, here is the key paragraph that seems to have offended him.  I didn't mean to be un-nice, but only as brief as possible, and I chose words exceedingly carefully ("blithe", for instance).  I have added numbers to facilitate addressing Mr. Corso's problems.

•• Apollonia Rhyndacum had, and at a date earlier than 1 any of the Sauroktonos coins (i.e., the early 140s AD, dated by Zeno), its own ‘original’ version, its own leaning-pose pastiche, of the Apollo shown on their coins.2
Just so much 3 of the other half of my inquiry, the questions surrounding the related statuary, must be mentioned here.  Study the beautiful Praxitèle catalogue closely.  Martinez, p. 52, says that the Apollonia coins have been wrongly, abusivement, called Sauroktonoi, but includes the Faustina of Philippopolis 4, to which the same objections apply, among the Sauroktonoi; getting rid of old lists is not easy.  Notice, too, that Pasquier and Martinez have refused to name Sauroktonos, abusivement, the London Apollonia for Lucius Verus, ibid., p. 209, fig. 127, and rightly take to task Corso’s blithe erection of an hypothesis on an admitted error 5.  I do doubt that Praxiteles went on from Parion 6 to make, himself, a variant leaning Apollo for Apollonia Rhyndacum.  Likewise, I would not make a single Antonine coin, 9,  into a claim 7 for Prusa ad Olympum.  The life-size replicas of the Sauroktonos are from Greece and Rome.  But even to say that much 8 is to stray into the other half of this study.

This is very time consuming, but I want to be helpful and I do not want to be unnecessarily misunderstood (I do not care if he spells my name in the alternative fashion, though care to copy accurately is not unimportant).  Let's all read carefully, including in our own languages.

1  As my opening paragraph on the page makes plain, this numismatic page addresses only the coins that I can regard as intended to refer to the Sauroktonos type, and the earliest of THEM is Zeno's. 

2  I should think it is plain, throughout, that I leave aside the Apollonia Ryndacum coins because the range of Apollos on that city's coins are evidence (primary evidence) that the city used allusive poses, not "copies", and so made Apollos that they could regard as their own (having different ideas of "originality" from ours--and on this see the other web page, though it is still very roughly written, called Their Inherited Images.  But perhaps Mr. Corso did not reflect on that range on pls. IV and V in AMNG IV.

3  Including "just so much" of the art historical business on a numismatics page is NOT an open invitation to engage in flaming me along with Martinez who is, apparently, the one that Mr. Corso is really annoyed with.

4  I made quite clear (and have done so also in threads here that Mr. Corso can consult using Search) that, but for the "true" Sauroktonoi, my nos. 4 and 5, showing that the Philippopolis ones do need to be considered along with the Antonine Nicopolis ones (and no. 4 may well be itself, like no. 1 at Nicopolis, a Zeno coin), the Faustina II coins (my no. 6) at Philippopolis would arguably not have a place in a list of Sauroktonoi as such.

5  "admitted errors": This abbreviated statement concerns a number of cross-referenced statements in the essays in the Louvre catalogue, to which here I can only refer you.  May it suffice to say that Mssrs. Martinez and Corso do not unreservedly admire each others' writings?

6  Even here I was at pains to say that we do not know much at all about Praxiteles' life or procedures, except to agree that he probably did NOT work on the Mausoleum at Halikarnassos.  In the longer, half art historical, article that I am still working over, I stood firmly against any arguments as to what he did or did not do, where he did or did not go.  I hardly need say that such arguments, concerning the Parion Eros, have no place on a carefully focused web page about a certain iconographic type at Balkan mints in the Antonine and Severan periods.  Strictly informally, I will admit that I suspect that the use of the Sauroktonos was due to its being a very young god doing a child's version of something heroic, rather as at Rome the infant Herakles strangling the snake threatening him and his little brother was used, with an infant Caracalla head on it, to suggest something superhuman about the baby heir.  But I can't prove that, and neither can a whole lot of other stuff be proven.

7  Here I merely repeated that the Prusa coins do not mean that Prusa, either, owned the Sauroktonos.  Alas, we really have no idea where it stood, or for how long before being taken, perhaps, elsewhere.  As I said above, the second Prusa coin, the last added to my Picasa album (link above), only adds to the puzzle.  It has a column rather than a tree.  THE FOCUS OF MY WEB PAGE IS THE ONES THAT QUITE CERTAINLY DO CONSTITUTE A MEANINGFUL SEQUENCE, EVEN THOUGH WE CANNOT KNOW HOW IT HAPPENED OR EXACTLY WHY.

8  Again, a statement that the coin list is only a part of a larger study.
Patricia Lawrence (slokind)

corso

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 12:09:11 pm »
dear all

concerning coins of Apollonia ad Rhyndacum portraying Apollo Sauroktonos + a column still in the late 1st c. AD see LIMC, s. v. Apollon, no. 81 e.

The probability that at Prusa ad Olympum Eros was regarded to have acted as Sauroktons is argued by the two coin types of this city struck under Commodus reproduced by G. E. Rizzo, Prassitele, Milan (1932) pl. 62, figs. 8 and 9.

The taste for the substitution of a tree trunk with a column is otherwise known in Mysia and Thrace. For example Pautalia and Anchialus reproduce Hermes + baby Dionysus on a column, not on a tree trunk (see Rizzo, pl. 4, figs. 3 and 8).

And even the Knidian Aphrodite, when it is copied in Mysia, loses her pot + drapery and rests on a column: see LIMC s. v. Aphrodite, no. 706.

Of course that does not mean that they did not want to reproduce those famous masterpieces. However probably they felt that the column would have given the creation a sense of sacrality which was demanded  by the spiritualistic culture of the period.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 12:34:58 pm »
Pardon my ignorance, but how can Eros and Apollo be confused? I though Eros was always winged.
PeteB

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 06:37:33 pm »
Yes indeed. There are no wings to be seen on the Prusa coin, even though there is plenty of room for them in the design, and that is sufficient reason for me to think that this is not an Eros. I don't know the Rizzo book, but in what sense is there a "probability" that "at Prusa ad Olympum Eros was regarded to have acted as Sauroktonos"? What is that supposed to mean? There is actually a Commodus Eros coin from Prusa, Waddington p.580, no.28, showing Eros with legs crossed leaning on a "cippus" and holding an arrow in his raised right hand. Could this at least be an ironic/humorous reference to Apollo Sauroktonos, as Eros on other coins takes on aspects of Heracles? But Eros holding an arrow doesn't necessarily have to be a reference to Apollo, because Eros was equally famous as an archer, and arguably more deadly.   ;)
Eros-with-arrow appears on coins of various cities, including Poemanenum in Mysia (the pose similar to that of the Eros of Parium), Cyzicus in Mysia, and Tralles in Lydia.

Francis

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 07:21:57 pm »
"There is actually a Commodus Eros coin from Prusa, Waddington p.580, no.28, showing Eros with legs crossed leaning on a "cippus" and holding an arrow in his raised right hand."

And it is winged.
PeteB

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 08:24:51 pm »
Yes, of course. I forgot to mention the wings, but they are definitely there and this is definitely an Eros. The Waddington coin is from the first Imhoof-Blumer collection, now in Berlin, but unfortunately not on the Berlin Museum's interactive website or (yet) on the provisional RPC IV website. RPC does however illustrate a similar coin of Crispina (in Vienna)
http://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4836/?search&stype=quick&q=Prusa&rno=22
though the wings here are not quite as clear as on the Commodus piece.

Francis

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 11:14:08 pm »
Yes, indeed, the coin that Akropolis and Britannicus have just cited is an Eros.  In fact, any young figure who leans ON HIS ELBOW  on a waist-high "cippus" (a colonnette or pillar) is a leaning figure not even related to the figure-composition of a Praxitelean Apollo LIZARD SLAYER.  Sauroktonos is not just a label of convenience, like calling the Weary Herakles "Farnese", it is a word that has a concrete meaning and no meaning other than a concrete meaning: a figure of Apollo killing a lizard.  No matter that we aren't quite sure why.  Sauro+ktonos means Lizard-Slayer.  And the sources describe it unmistakably.
I never have devoted a decade to the coins of Prusa, and indeed my new coin (which I now attach because it may be inconvenient to go to the Album unless you're running two browsers) does muddy the water about Prusa, since it has no tree.  (see and CLICK).  Even so, if you compare the Louvre (Borghese) copy, you will see the way the boy's left hand is draped over the top of the tree-trunk (the coins agree with the Borghese copy in this detail).  That is utterly, categorically different from leaning on your elbow on a colonnette.  It causes a different body composition.
Pat L.
I add the comparison of my Sauroktonos 02 (Antoninus Pius, without Zeno's name) with the Vatican copy.  I'll go find the file for the Louvre one, too, if need be.  Even the grotesque little Commodus specimens from Nicopolis have the forearm at this height.  See attached, my no. 8, CLICK, also on both the web page and the Picasa album.

P.S. And if you go to Waddington RG, pl. XCIX, nos. 21 (Commodus, which Waddington already calls Sauroktonos) and 23 (Commodus, which shows Eros, winged, leaning on his elbow on a waist-high support), shown within 8 cm. of each other, you will see how utterly different the figure compositions and body language are.

corso

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 03:40:12 am »
Eros Sauroktonos is known also through free standing life size copies, at least from the time of August (full catalogue in Antike Plastik of 2002). The body is just a copy of Apollo Sauroktonos, except of course for the wings.

Given the fact that two specimens of Prusa of the period of Commodus have Eros it is not impossible that the coin with the Sauroktonos without wings is just a simplified version of the coins in which the wings identify Eros.

Re. the Borghese copy in the Louvre, many scholars agree that it is not the most reliable. The copy in the Vatican Museums, coming from the Palatine, is much better (see the catalogue of the exhibition Praxitelis held in Athens in 2007).

Best wishes

Antonio

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 09:10:42 am »
Given the fact that two specimens of Prusa of the period of Commodus have Eros it is not impossible that the coin with the Sauroktonos without wings is just a simplified version of the coins in which the wings identify Eros.

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but that does not seem very plausible to me.  It's a purported "simplification" that would do nothing but create confusion.

It is akin to suggesting that one could "simplify" a depiction of Pegasus by removing the wings.  Pegasus without wings is just a horse.  

Eros without wings in the pose of Sauroktonos wouldn't been seen as a simplified version of Eros.  He'd be seen as Apollo, wouldn't he?

So who would "simplify" in that manner?

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 09:41:44 am »
Yes, indeed, the coin that Akropolis and Britannicus have just cited is an Eros.  In fact, any young figure who leans ON HIS ELBOW  on a waist-high "cippus" (a colonnette or pillar) is a leaning figure not even related to the figure-composition of a Praxitelean Apollo LIZARD SLAYER. 

You can see the wings and the pose that Pat describes in the Prusa Crispina referenced by Britannicus.  (Click on it for a larger image).

corso

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 10:07:20 am »
sometimes artisans who wont to hurry up oversimplify. Which is why Pegasos without wings did exist at least in the Etruscan imagery (it is identified because of Bellerophon).

Equally in Roman copies sometimes the wings of Eros are not reproduced. For example the Soranzo Eros in Sankt Petrsburg, Ermitage, has now wings. We understand that the original statue had wings because the other copies of the same type - at Oxford, Ashmolean and at Sparta, preserve the sockets for the insertion of wings.

Equally the copy at Cyrene of the Lysippan Eros has no wings. Of course we have so many copies of that type that we understand that in this case a copyinst was too quick to deliver his staff!!!

I can forward other examples if someone is interested to...

Antonio

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 10:18:57 am »
sometimes artisans who wont to hurry up oversimplify. Which is why Pegasos without wings did exist at least in the Etruscan imagery (it is identified because of Bellerophon).

After reading your response I looked at an example on-line of an Etruscan stone carving of a man on a horse attacking a chimaera with a spear.  In that case, I can see a conclusion that the horse may be pegasus because of the chimaera, man (presumably Bellerophon) and spear.  In other words, there is other evidence on the depiction itself suggesting that the horse may be Pegasus

On the coin(s) you suggest may be a wingless Eros, are there any other identifying features on the coins themselves that lead you to that conclusion?

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 02:28:24 pm »
THANK YOU, DINO!
Well, all very "interesting", I'm sure, but it has nothing to do with my catalogue raisonné of the sequence of Sauroktonos coins at Nicopolis ad Istrum and Philippopolis (the latter only Antonine).
Once again, as I said, this little catalogue is just provided for my numismatic friends and does not include the art historical context or much else.  It is these coins that do belong together, for their own sake.  My list no. 9 had to be included because Waddington already had published it as the Sauroktonos that it is and because it has a tree.
The very fact that Corso brings up the 19th century discussion (Lippold was the last to rehearse it) of which copy of the statue, Louvre or Vatican, is "truest" (true to what?) shows misunderstanding of the methods and habits that prevailed in the ateliers.  He is so interested in mentioning exceptions of all kinds that he hasn't studied the images provided to see that some of the coins have poses more like the Vatican, others more like the Louvre statue, shows the problems that have arisen from my making available the numismatic series alone.
Corso's contributions here may shed some light on my loss of pleasure in dealing with lines of argument like his.  It is pointless and unhistorical.  Now let him argue, if he wishes (I won't) about the word 'unhistorical'.  I think now that Jean-Luc Martinez was remarkably polite in the Praxitèle catalogue.
P.L.
And so far as at least generically Praxitelean statues of Eros are concerned, Nicopolis ad Istrum yielded one of its own in the early excavations, which I attach here, reproduced from the Jahrbuch des deutschen Archäologischen Instituts more than a century ago:
Sofia, National (or Archaeological) Museum.  Eros statue from Nicopolis ad Istrum.  Jahrbuch des d. arch. Instituts, XXIV (1909) pl. 6.  Same type as the "Eros Borghese" in the Louvre, but neither restored nor touched up; wings belong.  The city was founded by Trajan, after the Dacian campaigns.
Good copies and variants like this were all over the Empire. 
The citation is merely that provided for my undergraduate students.
CLICK

For those who wish to pursue this non-numismatic question, See the Louvre catalogue 2007, pp. 352-3, no. 93, where both the "Eros Borghese" and its variant (as Filow already noticed) the Nicopolis Eros are consigned to "Praxitèle après Praxitèle".  I am not insisting that the essay is perfectly right, but the head of the Eros Borghese has the character of a sweet ninny.  I attach the main part of the Eros Borghese as it was exhibited in 1982 (in very photogenic light!).  CLICK.  I do not have photo of its re-restored condition.

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 03:30:29 pm »
Thanks for the photos, Pat! On three successive visits to the Sofia museum I've made surreptitious efforts to photograph it - they are very touchy about photography, even without flash, though they don't provide images of their exhibits, some of which are really superb - and every time I got caught and bawled out...   :(

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 08:09:17 pm »

This is/has been an interesting discussion, unfortunately I do not have any of corso's books, though I looked them up online - a bit pricey for me right now and given his line of thought in this thread might not be of much use to me. I think, though, at least in this argument he engages a bit too much in trying to bend the data to his pet theory and not the other way around. So, I find myself in agreement with Dr. Lawrence, whose study of the Sauroktonos coins I have been following for a very long time - she has been very generous in allowing me to see and study images of her coins and read many of her early writings - her research is impeccable and numismatic history is on her side. Not one of her conclusions are made without the support of generations of previous research, note her comment that Waddington had published her #9 coin as Sauroktonos - Waddington had amassed a huge collection of Greek and Provincial coinage and was a serious classicist whose conclusions were based on a deep understanding of the material both ancient and current to his time - just like Dr. Lawrence.

c.rhodes

corso

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 05:49:16 am »
Lawrence confuses the Eros of Parion with the Eros Sauroktonos. The Eros from Nikopolis is pertinent to the series of variations of the Eros from Parion, not of the Eros Sauroktonos. She just does not know what she is talking about. Blatantly she has never read the seminal contribution of Kabus Preisshofen published in Antike Plastik of 2002. I feel pity for her students.

And she does not respect a scholar as myself who wrote 96 publications which include 8 books published in very prestigious series and several tens of articles published in well refereed periodicals. I was awarded many distinctions by such prestigious institutions as the German Archaeological Institute and the British Academy. She cannot be that arrogant.

Re. Prusa, we know that Greek cities asserted each one just one version of mythical episodes. That is argued by Pausanias who often reports that the Megarians asserted that, the Thespians that other story. He never says that one group of Thespians asserted something and another group something else. Since two coin types from Prusa show that in the age of Commodus Prusans believed that Eros acted as Sauroctonus, the possibility that in the same time they attributed the same act also to Apollo is at least problematic. The hypothesis that the Prusan coin type with a young god acting as lizard slayer is a simplified version without wings stems from this consideration.

Scholars can disagree from my argumentation but cannot insult me as Lawrence does. She should apologize!!!

Antonio 

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 09:34:27 am »
Antonio-

With all due respect, people post in this forum to contribute and to learn.  They generally do so in a polite manner.  Please look at your first post and your comments regarding Pat and consider whether you believe it was polite.  Look at your following posts and ask yourself the same question.  You cannot storm into a conversation hurling insults and demanding that we agree with your conclusions (which haven't really been backed up by any facts in this thread anyway). 

If you are truly interested in the topic, then please post and explain and support your reasoning.  Pat has done so.  If you truly are the scholar and expert that you TELL us you are then you SHOULD know how to do so as well.  You may in that way gain the respect with regard to your views that you want to DEMAND we give you.  Do so in a polite and respectful manner and you may gain the respect as a person that you again DEMAND that we give you.

At this point I see nothing in your posts that would lead me to believe you are interested in scholarship or actual discussion.  It seems to be more about a bruised ego. 

I am certainly interested in reading why you believe what you believe and seeing any supporting evidence.  I am not the least bit interested in reading temper tantrums and demands for apologies. 

Good Day.

corso

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 01:21:08 pm »
dear colleague

let me please politely disagree. First of all it has been Mrs. Lawrence who accused me to have build up my hypothesis (that the original Sauroktonos stood at Apollonia ad Rhyndacum) on an error, thus putting in doubt my professional seriousness. In her last message she wrote many terrible things (please read her message of yesterday: she speaks of misundertandings on my part, of lack of method, etc.).

Moreover asking that scholars read all the relevant bibliography (including seminal articles such as that of Preisshofen in Antike Plastik of 2002) and are able to distinc between very different sculptural types should not be regarded an act of arrogance.

Finally my ego has nothing to do with that. I have never suggested to anybody to read my article devoted to the Sauroctonus (published in 'Numismatica e Antichita' Classiche. Quaderni Ticinesi' of 2009). On the contrary I suggested the entries of the catalogue of the Athenian exhibition on Praxiteles (not written by me) and Preisshofen's article.

In any case since we do not tune well together this is my last message. I wrote what I had to write, I retorted to the defamation forwarded against me by Lawrence, I wrote what I think of her scholarly work. Thus my goal has been fulfilled.

Best wishes

Antonio

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 01:55:47 pm »
Lawrence confuses the Eros of Parion with the Eros Sauroktonos. The Eros from Nikopolis is pertinent to the series of variations of the Eros from Parion, not of the Eros Sauroktonos. She just does not know what she is talking about. Blatantly she has never read the seminal contribution of Kabus Preisshofen published in Antike Plastik of 2002. I feel pity for her students.

And she does not respect a scholar as myself who wrote 96 publications which include 8 books published in very prestigious series and several tens of articles published in well refereed periodicals. I was awarded many distinctions by such prestigious institutions as the German Archaeological Institute and the British Academy. She cannot be that arrogant.

Re. Prusa, we know that Greek cities asserted each one just one version of mythical episodes. That is argued by Pausanias who often reports that the Megarians asserted that, the Thespians that other story. He never says that one group of Thespians asserted something and another group something else. Since two coin types from Prusa show that in the age of Commodus Prusans believed that Eros acted as Sauroctonus, the possibility that in the same time they attributed the same act also to Apollo is at least problematic. The hypothesis that the Prusan coin type with a young god acting as lizard slayer is a simplified version without wings stems from this consideration.

Scholars can disagree from my argumentation but cannot insult me as Lawrence does. She should apologize!!!

Antonio 

Pat, who is arrogant, has students worthy of your pity and doesn't know what she is talking about should apologise to you?

I think you should apologise to this entire forum for the reprehensible way in which you have conducted yourself.

Steve

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 02:29:48 pm »
This is a thread I should have been interested in, but when I picked up on the tone I quickly became disinterested, which is a pity as it's something I'd like to have learnt more about. 

Statements proclaming "I know better that you", or "my portfolio is bigger than your portfolio" are really more suited to a playground.

Malcolm

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 02:49:54 pm »
How childish.
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity