Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Photographing Bronzes  (Read 2974 times)

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
Photographing Bronzes
« on: December 16, 2009, 04:42:26 pm »
OK, I will be the first to admit that my skills definitely do not lie in photography.  I'm getting a little better at silver but still have huge issues photographing bronze.  Two pics .  One - the one you can actually see - is a dealer's picture.  The other is my attempt taken at f9 1/100sec indirect lighting with a Canon Rebel digital camera.  Lens that came with the camera.  i don't have a macro yet.

Advice appreciated.....

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
Re: Photographing Bronzes
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 05:02:19 pm »
The white background is fooling the camera into underexposing the dark coin.  Try adding a stop of exposure compensation for dark coins and see if details perk up.   My Canon tends to produce too much contrast on many coins but I handle that by shooting RAW and processing flatly.  If you have similar problems but want to stay with JPG images, you could bias the in camera processing by lowering the contrast by going to the Parameters menu / Set Up and moving the contrast slider all the way to the left.  You could save that as a separate Parameter set so it would be easy to switch back and forth between lower contrast and normal situations as desired. 

nikos k

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 06:02:29 pm »
Dino,i prefer your foto instead of dealers..
Your foto has a lot of character,and gives a feeling to the portrait.
Just a small beam of light on frond face and back of head(in your foto) helps portrait to be "removed" from background,because makes the edges of portrait so intense!
This help's us to concentrate to the portrait,not the empty flan,or the background talking general..
Is exactly like cinema,movies.You have seen million times a portrait(close-up) of an actor at night.Light only at crucial parts of portrait,and a back light to help the edges (hair,hats etc) to be raised from the black backgroung,and give us a clear portrait impression.

Dealers foto is completely FLAT looking,and full of unwanted reflections.
In my opinion your foto helps coin look better.
Of course,this is only my opinion

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 08:27:31 pm »
I agree with some of the comments. Your camera is overexposing because of the background. Either get an 18% Gray card, or find some cardboard that is about the same tone as the coin you are photographing.

Bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 11:15:07 pm »
Latest attempt.

f9 and using black background.  Think it's a little better.  Colors seem truer to the coin which is a deep rich brown with reddish highlights.  Focus is just a bit off though. 

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 11:47:29 pm »
Well, using a dark background sems to make a world of difference.  Here's a Philp AE i just rephotographed.

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 12:51:13 am »
There are several Canon Rebel cameras.  which model do you have, and which lens?

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 05:29:21 am »
What kind of light source do you use?
Andreas Reich

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 04:02:37 pm »
Try scanning.  It usually works for me...
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 04:29:45 pm »
I´m more satisfied with my pictures since i avoid a direct visible background - either by a thin basis (hidden by the coin) or glass supporting the coin.

For bigger and darker coins - like most bronzes are - i prefer a black distant background:

For tiny bright ones i prefer the distant white background:

The important rest is experimenting with the angle and the distance of the light source.

regards

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 05:37:48 pm »
There are several Canon Rebel cameras.  which model do you have, and which lens?

Bill

Bill,

It's a Canon Rebel XS with the stock 18-55mm lens.  I haven't bought a macro lens yet.

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 05:38:48 pm »
What kind of light source do you use?

Two small halogen lamps behind white nylon screens.

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 05:40:41 pm »
Try scanning.  It usually works for me...

Prbably a good idea, but being a stubborn fellow, I think I'll keep trying to improve my photography.   ;D

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 04:01:44 am »
OK - well, the reason for wanting to know the exact model was so that I could download the manual and give some specific hints.

I hope you are working in aperture priority mode? And with the aperture set somewhere around f8 to f16.  (These are on page 72 of the manual). I would then recommend setting your metering mode to partial metering (page 77 of the manual).  With any luck this will use only the coin itself to set the exposure, and ignore the background.

If the result is still too dark, then play with the exposure compensation setting. Page 78 of the manual. Your camera will set an automatic exposure that makes the result a middle tone, which coins generally are not, and an adjustment will probably help a lot.  On my camera, +1/3 is just right for normal bronzes, +1 for silvers.  Yours will be different and needs some experimentation.

Best of luck!  Please say if you are still having trouble with focus.

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 06:39:13 am »
Bill,

Thank you very much!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity