Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Article Wanted - Greek Numismatic Dictionary  (Read 5314 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Article Wanted - Greek Numismatic Dictionary
« on: October 21, 2009, 10:54:44 am »
I am looking for a volunteer or volunteers (Forum dollar reward available) to create a Greek Numismatic Dictionary page in NumisWiki.  I have created a shell page.  I am hoping the page will include honorific city titles, Royal titles, city magistrates and officials titles, Roman titles, etc. used on coins.

If every active member contributed even just one title...

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Greek Numismatic Dictionary
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
Re: Article Wanted - Greek Numismatic Dictionary
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 09:05:01 am »
OK, I had a play with the Greek Numismatic Dictionary page.  A couple of thoughts:

1. If you want to include words found on Byzantine coins, some of them will be a mix of Greek and Latin characters. I tried writing an entry for despotes . The problem of font size then arises, since I couldn't quite make the Latin C the same size as the Greek letters, and it came out looking a little funny. Was I doing something stupid, or is there an easy fix?

2. Are the section headings ('Royal Titles', etc.)  really useful? Maybe like most dictionaries listings should be purely alphabetical? But if we do want to retain sections, then - again thinking Byzantine - we will need one for religious titles and invocations.

Bill R

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 09:30:27 am »
The C has always been a problem for me too.  I don't have an answer.

If it gets long enough we can change to alphabetical.  I put up the sections so people would have some idea of the intent of the page. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

nemo

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 11:57:21 am »
The "C" in question is a later variant form of ς (sigma), not a Latin C. In a lexicon of Greek words, traditional Greek letters should always be used: δεσπότης. Notes on how letter forms change through time (Byzantine forms, for example) might be useful in an introduction or within the individual definitions. This may seem to make things more difficult for some, but in the end it's the only logical format.

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 06:12:47 am »
Of course they are really variant sigmas, but with the available fonts on Numiswiki the closest we can get is Latin-C and Latin-S. You're probably right that the traditional  :GreeK_Sigma: is the logical format for the principal definition, but that doesn't reflect what people actually see on the coins. So I think it would still be good to have subsidiary references,something like:

:Greek_Delta: EC :Greek_Pi: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Tau: EC  see  :Greek_Delta: E :GreeK_Sigma: :Greek_Pi: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Tau: H :GreeK_Sigma:

and the minor problem of letter height remains.

Bill R

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 10:21:39 am »
And now that I come to think about it, how would one handle, for example,  the Christian abbreviation IC / XC, which is very common on Byzantine coins?

Entering this under  :Greek_Iota: :GreeK_Sigma::Greek_Chi: :GreeK_Sigma: would just look silly.

Bill R

nemo

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 12:24:35 pm »
Entering this under  :Greek_Iota: :GreeK_Sigma::Greek_Chi: :GreeK_Sigma: would just look silly.

I give up.

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 04:36:53 pm »
I wonder if its possible to import the fonts from these reply pages over to numiswiki :overlineIC:            :overlineXC:         ??

did not pep create the mongrams for the references section?

cw

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 12:42:25 pm »
The listings should look like the coins.  If the coin has C, the listing should have C.  Personally, I don't care if the C's don't quite match the rest of the text font. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 12:27:19 am »
Just trying something:   IÇ XÇ , this was made using Open Office, and the characters are accepted by Numiswiki - however, since I don't collect Greeks, I will bow out of this, when we get to Byzantines, I will pop back in.

Bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 10:43:27 am »
I just wanted to point out that the Historia Numorum has a good start toward these.

http://snible.org/coins/hn/intro2.html#xi
http://snible.org/coins/hn/inscriptions5.html

I think those pages are already in the Wiki, but breaking them out in the forum Joe has suggested would be a nice improvement.  Think of the HN pages as something to get started with for content.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity