Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Regular paper in flips  (Read 1353 times)

CzarMike

Regular paper in flips
« on: August 30, 2009, 11:02:18 am »
I have been using regular printer paper for my flips, but the flips are pvc free, should I worry much?

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
Re: Regular paper in flips
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 12:02:03 pm »
As long as the paper isn't in direct contact with the coins, which it shouldn't be in a flip pocket, there's not much to worry about. I used to work in a paper mill years ago, and learned quite a bit about production techniques. Most of the paper produced these days is acid-free, because paper companies use chalk as the main filler material in the paper pulp since chalk is cheaper than china clay that was used as pulp filler in the past.  Chalk will react with acids in the pulp, and therefore requires paper companies to make the pulp chemically neutral or alkaline.

As for paper bleached with chlorine, virtually all North American mills converted to "elemental chlorine free" processing to whiten the pulp in 1990. As a matter of fact, the Alliance for Environmental Technology posts an annual report on ECF paper stating that 89% of the world's paper production is now "elemental chlorine free." 

There are actually three types of chlorine free paper processes:
1. ECF can sometimes still use a chlorine derivative, primarily chlorine dioxide, which is much less reactive. Elemental Chlorine-Free indicates virgin or recycled fiber that is bleached with chlorine dioxide or other chlorine compounds. This process significantly reduces hazardous dioxins, but does not completely eliminate them.

2. PCF Processed Chlorine-Free a paper with some or 100 percent recycled fiber content. The recycled fiber in the sheet is unbleached or bleached with non-chlorine compounds, but as we don't know how the original paper was treated, we cannot consider it totally chlorine-free.

3. Totally Chlorine-Free means that 100 percent virgin fiber (including virgin tree-free fiber) is unbleached or bleached with non-chlorine compounds. It may also include wood or alternative fibers, such as kenaf. The term TCF cannot be used on recycled paper because the treatment of the original paper is unknown.

Look for the ECF, PCF, or TCF label on the next ream of paper you purchase. If you are in North America, you shouldn't have to worry at all about chlorine leaching from the paper, as the 11% of paper still produced by chlorine gas beaching processes are made in mostly small, semi-industrialized nations. If you are still worried about the small amount of chlorine derivatives remaining in regular paper, you can always switch to cotton rag fiber paper, which is archival, acid free, and totally chlorine free... and is made to last for up to 1000 years. As for me, I'd stick with the cheaper, regular paper and let my great great grandchildren change out the flip inserts if they start to tone the coins a few generations from now.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity