Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Any advice on what camera to buy?  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
Any advice on what camera to buy?
« on: August 15, 2009, 01:04:06 pm »
I'm currently shopping for a digital SLR camera. I'm heavily leaning towards a Canon, somewhere in the 12-15 megapixel range.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which model and lens to buy? (Also what type of lens would be suitable for coin photography.)

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
Re: Any advice on what camera to buy?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 04:08:40 pm »
hmmm. guess not. :'(

Offline Jeremy W

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 04:32:16 pm »
There are several threads discussing the current models of DSLR's.  I myself have the EOS Rebel XSi and LOVE IT.

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 12:30:40 am »
For the purpose of coin photography and nothing else (most of us use our cameras for other things, too), I see no difference between any model Canon DSLR.  I own the original model Digital Rebel and a slight upgrade model 30D.  The difference in image quality between the two requires a print over 8x12.  I generally shoot coins with the old Digital Rebel (300D) and reduce the combined obverse and reverse to 1140x760 pixels which is less than one megapixel but makes acceptable 4x6" prints and projects well.  It also makes as large an image on my monitor as I require.   What you see here is only 800x533 and was automatically reduced by Forvm software.  The only slightly larger version is available: http://www.pbase.com/dougsmit/image/116392215

Coins only have a certain amount of detail.  My low end technique still results in being able to see things magnified like the reverse scratches on my sample below.  I suppose if you have nicer coins than I do or plan on making 20x30 prints, you might want an upgrade but for most of us, any DSLR will do. 

The lens is a slightly different matter.  I prefer using a longer focal length so you can get some distance between the lens and the coin to allow freedom in arranging lighting.  The above sample is the Canon 100mm macro lens.  It is a bit overkill for the purpose but it is definitely a sharp lens.  Any lens over 100mm that can be used with extension tubes to fill the frame with a coin should do well enough.  Canon makes a 55-250 zoom that is not expensive and should do nicely but I do not have it.  I have used several older lenses including some from the pre digital era.  The Probus shot below was made with a $500+ Canon 'L' series lens while the Septimius used an old Yashica lens I happened to have (probably worth ~$50 used today?).  Both are crops from shots that included the whole coin so the sharpness you get here is what you might see on a 16x20 image (or so).   Both required extension tubes to focus close enough.   Can you see the difference?  I can.  Is it worth the difference?  Your call.

You asked for suggestions:  Any DSLR with a 100mm or longer lens capable of close focus (a macro or using accessory extension tubes).  Spend money on a decent tripod and put thought into lighting.  These make more difference than the camera model.  Jeremy's XSi is a fine choice!  It is better than what made these photos but you will not see the difference for 99.9% of common uses.

I have many more suggestions on the page below and the several older pages that link to it.
http://dougsmith.ancients.info/ph2008.html

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 02:09:02 am »
Thanks! I'm still shopping around to upgrade my camera. I do a lot of photography (not just coins) and want a good general lens as well as good macro function. You've got some great tips on your website. I've spent several hours reading just about every page you've written. It's a great site and an awesome resource!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity