Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Webmasters (Moderator: Sorin Teodor)  |  Topic: acsearch.info - an Ancient Coin Search Engine 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: acsearch.info - an Ancient Coin Search Engine  (Read 44560 times)
dougsmit
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2013, 06:18:26 am »

acsearch and mcsearch have become really fine tools for me as a collector.  I do wish there were a way to add more coverage in lower value coins than are usually sold by the houses now part of the database but I suspect time will help this as well. 

Thanks to all whose efforts have contributed to such a fine free resource. 

xanthos
Praetorian

« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2013, 12:06:56 pm »

There's a new feature called "bookmarklet" on www.acsearch.info (on the main page, right), that allows you to search for a coin from any website only be highlighting a text and without actually leaving the website or open a new window.

If you don't know what a bookmarklet is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bookmarklet
Pscipio
Tribunus Plebis 2009
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2014, 12:44:59 am »

We have launched an extensive update for acsearch / mcsearch yesterday. The most obvious change is that we integrated mcsearch into acsearch, creating a single website only. The differentiation between ancient and modern coins now can be made by the filter to the right of the search box.

Further changes are:

- The design automatically adapts to the device (responsive design), making the site much more convenient to use f.e. on a Smartphone.
- Frame and List view have been merged.
- Currency can be changed (USD, EUR, CHF, GBP).
- The search engine now includes a Thesaurus, which can be expanded by users at http://www.acsearch.info/thesaurus.html
- The discussion option has been replaced by a commentary option.

To prevent the data from being illegaly downloaded by web scrapers, it is now necessary to log in to see auction results and picture enlargements.

If you have any comments, suggestions or questions, please let us know. If you find any errors, please send us an email or PM including a screenshot. We do hope you enjoy the new site!

Lars

Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com
Arados
Comitia Curiata
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2014, 02:39:52 am »

I do like your new look site Lars, thanks for providing a quick and easy way of searching for specific coins.

Much appreciated  Thumbs Up Wink

Best Regards
Martin

quadrans
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.

« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2014, 02:17:29 pm »

Hi Lars..

I agree with Arados..
 nice work Thumbs Up

Thank you.

Q .

Molinari
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

My defeat, if understood, should be my glory

« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2014, 04:56:43 am »

I like the new design, Lars.  Things work great on my PC and iPhone.

Nick

Akropolis
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2014, 07:37:14 am »

I guess I am still in the stone age....as emphasized by the fact that my Windows XP and Internet Explorer 8 are no longer accepted by acsearch.info. Windows XP cannot accept IE 9 and later. My AOL software is overlaid and dependent upon IE 8.
Soooooo, I'll have to switch back and forth to Google Chrome.
Aaaarrrggghh.
PeteB

Molinari
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2014, 08:00:35 am »

People still use Internet Explorer?

xanthos
Praetorian

« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2014, 10:55:28 am »

PeteB, I suggest you delete your IE8 and switch to Chrome instead. Not only because of acsearch, but also for security reasons.
Akropolis
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2014, 11:36:10 am »

Hi Xanthos:

If I delete Internet Explorer, my primary e-mail account on AOL won't work. As I wrote above, it is overlaid on IE.

And I need my hundreds (thousands?)of links therein, which cannot be mass exported to Google Chrome....which I also have installed. It is, indeed, MUCH faster than AOL/IE
But thanks.
PeteB

Andrew McCabe
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2014, 12:37:28 pm »

Hi Xanthos:

If I delete Internet Explorer, my primary e-mail account on AOL won't work. As I wrote above, it is overlaid on IE.

And I need my hundreds (thousands?)of links therein, which cannot be mass exported to Google Chrome....which I also have installed. It is, indeed, MUCH faster than AOL/IE
But thanks.
PeteB

I doubt this is true. I use my aol account very happily in IE, Chrome, Firefox and Safari, it is also set up in my Microsoft Outlook account on my PC, my Windows 8 tablet and my Windows phone. I can read all of my aol mails, including archived mails going back 15 years on any machine and in any browser.

I also think the advice re IE is rather outdated. That's a perception issue that mainly dates from older versions of IE in older versions of Windows. IE in Win8 is as robust as any browser, and after five years using nothing but Chrome, I used both interchangeably for some time and now mainly use IE as its web page rendering seems to work better and faster. For example I much prefer acsearch.info on IE than Chrome. The only proprietary bonus you get in Chrome is auto translation of web pages which I use for example with lamoneta.it, but the days when Chrome was faster, smoothr and safer than IE are in the past. At least if you are on Win8!

Akropolis
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2014, 01:47:37 pm »

Two points:
Yes. I can access AOL on Google Chrome and read e-mail, news items, etc,, but I cannot find how to access my NUMEROUS "favorite places" links on AOL 9.0 VR/IE. If you know of a way, please tell me.

AOL tech support told me I must use AOL Version 9.0 VR with Windows XP after I called them with browser proble3ms.

Second, I mentioned  that I have Windows XP with IE 8, as I mentioned, not Win 8, which has IE 9 or 10 or maybe even higher. I do not know the latest version of IE, since it  is of no use to me,. IE 8 is FAR slower than Google Chrome.

But thanks for your views.
PeteB

Jochen
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.

« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2014, 02:39:16 pm »

Hi Pete!

I have the same problem like you with Windows XP and IE 8. I was advised to use Mozilla Firefox instead to access acsearch  and all works well.

Best regards

Akropolis
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2014, 03:27:20 pm »

Thanks, Jochen.
Warmest regards,
Pete

Andrew McCabe
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2014, 03:31:54 pm »

Aha. My comments weren't very relevant given that we are talking about XP, sorry I missed that - I agree in that case one perhaps needs special measures. I'm using IE 11 on Win 8.1, and its very fast (compared to Chrome) and apparently very secure.

Adrian W
Caesar

« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2014, 04:16:03 pm »

Internet Explorer has serious security issues as the news media in the last few weeks recommended no longer using it,and all my techy friends quit using it a while ago for that reason

Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County
Andrew McCabe
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2014, 03:19:25 am »

Internet Explorer has serious security issues as the news media in the last few weeks recommended no longer using it,and all my techy friends quit using it a while ago for that reason

That's what I mean by it being only a perception issue, as this was a very brief issue that was quickly fixed. A loophole was identified late April. It was fixed on 1st May, for all Windows operating systems back to XP (yes, XP was included in the fix), and reports say that there was no evidence that the loophole had actually been exploited in the short time between being highlighted and being fixed. There's a lot of news fluff about computer bugs, most of it prompted by lovers or haters of specific tech companies and often biased by perceptions formed many years or even decades ago (when Apple was bug free only because it had a tiny user base and Microsoft was thought to dominate the world with slow buggy software). Times change. For those users of XP however I would suggest they consider buying a new PC. $300 and one gets a lightning fast and secure new system. As for bookmarks and other reasons to stay with an old system, generally one can find and transfer the relevant file, but if not, one can copy and paste the website addresses into a text document manually in perhaps 30 minutes.

Molinari
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2014, 05:37:24 am »

That's what I mean by it being only a perception issue, as this was a very brief issue that was quickly fixed. A loophole was identified late April. It was fixed on 1st May, for all Windows operating systems back to XP (yes, XP was included in the fix), and reports say that there was no evidence that the loophole had actually been exploited in the short time between being highlighted and being fixed. There's a lot of news fluff about computer bugs, most of it prompted by lovers or haters of specific tech companies and often biased by perceptions formed many years or even decades ago (when Apple was bug free only because it had a tiny user base and Microsoft was thought to dominate the world with slow buggy software). Times change. For those users of XP however I would suggest they consider buying a new PC. $300 and one gets a lightning fast and secure new system. As for bookmarks and other reasons to stay with an old system, generally one can find and transfer the relevant file, but if not, one can copy and paste the website addresses into a text document manually in perhaps 30 minutes.

I just hate IE's interface. The toolbar takes up a third of the screen (I'm sure one can make it smaller) and I feel like every webpage I visit I get a stern warning that the site might be dangerous!  I can't imagine myself ever going back to IE, though I have to admit I haven't even thought about it in years, hence my original post.

Andrew McCabe
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2014, 09:39:16 am »

I just hate IE's interface. The toolbar takes up a third of the screen (I'm sure one can make it smaller) and I feel like every webpage I visit I get a stern warning that the site might be dangerous!  I can't imagine myself ever going back to IE, though I have to admit I haven't even thought about it in years, hence my original post.

This no longer happens. I'm using IE11 right now and there's nothing except a discreet  thin line of bookmarks at top of screen, with three small buttons to their right to access the control functions. It basically looks like Chrome but seems to render web-pages faster and nicer. But I do understand about decades of bloat-ware that caused people to leave. I returned after many years Chroming because issues of space and rendering matter more on a space-limited PC tablet screen. I used both in parallel for months before landing on IE as the one I liked most.

Andrew McCabe
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2015, 03:42:38 am »

In looking for analogies to my latest Octavian denarius on acsearch, I noticed, to my distress, that the search engine on acsearch equates "Octavian" with "Augustus". This is absolutely not at all helpful, as when looking for the scarcer Octavian types, the searches are inundated with hundreds, if not thousands, of irrelevant Augustus results. I don't think it's even helpful for collectors of Augustus types, as I'm sure they are all already aware that a separate search for Octavian is also a good idea. But it's positively destructive for Imperatorial searches on Octavian. A search on "Octavian Denarius" provides 14,861 results, most of which are Augustus denarii. Even narrowing the search by addition of an extra term or number doesn't help much. I searched on "Octavian 540" and got three hundred results of which only a handful were Octavian denarii. Sometimes dictionary equivalents on search engines just gives one the entire universe.

Do others have issues with this?

Lars - is it possible to remove the dictionary equivalence for Octavian and Augustus?

areich
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2015, 03:47:05 pm »

I've had a similar problem, though I don't remember with which words. A way to turn off the thesaurus in the advanced options would be nice.

Ted
Praetorian

« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2015, 05:55:36 pm »

Semi Workaround: octavi* denar* produces under 3000 hits
Andrew McCabe
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2015, 08:51:23 pm »

Semi Workaround: octavi* denar* produces under 3000 hits

Thanks ... Just removing the Octavian - Augustus equivalence from the Thesaurus is the real work around needed. As I've noted it's of no real help to Imperial collectors but is very disruptive to Republican or Imperatorial collectors. "More" results ain't necessarily better, especially when "more" equates to "much less relevant".

Jay GT4
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Leave the gun, take the Canoli!

« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2015, 06:32:34 am »

What I did was enter "Octavian" then "-Augustus".  The "-" removes the search for Augustus in the results.

My Gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=18312

IG: @artisan.flooring
J. Grande
xanthos
Praetorian

« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2015, 04:40:22 am »

Thank you all for pointing this out.

I've made an update to the search. You can now choose whether to use the thesaurus or not (click on the small wheel next to the search to change settings), as proposed by areich. I hope this helps.

As I am only occasionally on this forum, it would help if you send me a PM next time there is an issue Smiley

Simon
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Webmasters (Moderator: Sorin Teodor)  |  Topic: acsearch.info - an Ancient Coin Search Engine « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop