Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Maxentius Dioscuri  (Read 9039 times)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Maxentius Dioscuri
« on: July 16, 2009, 08:06:44 pm »
This came today.  I got it for my Dioscuri (the Rome ones) collection, or sub-collection.  Rome always was very fond of these figures, from the Republic to the End.  I was going to add it to Lord Best's Maxentius COTD, but then the Fonteia question surfaced here, and I cast my vote for their addorsed heads, since there was a sort of Plutarchian fashion for paired, addorsed heads.  Yet, when it came, my new coin seems to show an older-looking Pollux, with a beard.  So I'm posting it here.  All Maxentius portraits are nice (I think Maxentius probably was nice), but Dioscuri labeled AETERNITAS are more interesting, perhaps.  Do compare those Arcus Novus sculptures, if you can.
• 16 07 09 Æ follis 7.741g 24,3mm axis 1h  Maxentius (308-310) Ostia mint  RIC VI, 35,
IMP C ,MAXENTIUS P F AVG
Rev. AETE  -  RNITAS -  AVG N and in exergue M OST P
The Dioscuri, resting on their spears, stg. nearly frontal, heads facing (so that they mirror each other), Castor holding his horse's reins in his l. hand, Pollux his in his r. hand.  The horses are represented (in good Tetrarchic rejection of recession into deeper space) by thier foreparts, again mirroring.
They are, of course, the famous statues of the Temple of Castor (and Pollux) in the Forum.
They are especially relevant at this time because on two pedestals of the Arcus Novus (now in the Boboli Gardens) erected in honor of Diocletian's Decennalia of 293, though that date is deduced, not inscribed on them. See Diana E. E. Kleiner, Roman Sculpture, pp. 499-412, figs. 377-379.
The spears and their more florid style distinguish the Dioscuri on the follis from those of the Arcus Novus.  Both should be compared with the Memmius denarius, which is a little earlier than the temple of Castor as we see it today.
For the Fonteia thread, https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=54902.0
For another one in the AETERNITAS set, see https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=54677.0, Reply #7
The art historian and archaeologist in me is very pleased with this coin!  CLICK TO ZOOM
Pat L.

Offline 284ad

• Praetorian
  • biberunt ut Gothi
    • My collection blog.
Re: Maxentius Dioscuri
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 08:23:00 pm »
That is an absolutely lovely piece. 

The later style of the dioscuri is new to me (having only really owned Republican Denarii with them depicted) and I really like it.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 08:29:31 pm »
A beautiful specimen with nice surfaces. Much better than my coin.

I have a question to the Dioscuri: Why it is always Castor when only one Dioscur is depicted? Has Castor any privilegs over Pollux?

Best regards

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 08:37:24 pm »
So it seems.  Even the Greeks seem to find the horse-tamer nicer than the pugilist.  I don't think it has to do with Leda's eggs, or with the stars, the Gemini, that perhaps were more important in the later (post-Classical) periods.  Schlegel notwithstanding (no, it's Mayrhofer), I think the Zwillingsterne are more Roman than Greek.  Sailors' stars, anyway.  But Cicero's not bothering to be "correct" but calling the temple simply "Castoris" seems to me indicative of their feelings.
Shall we try Roscher?  The Daremberg-Saglio Dictionnaire des Antiquités..?
Pat L.
P.S. The Maxentius came from Forvm and was sent as soon as Joe got home.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 09:19:46 pm »
I'm also not fluent in later Roman coinage, but that is a most excellent find! The portrait seems very bold and the reverse is very interesting. Fascinating to also see the continuation of the reverse across the centuries.

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 12:07:43 am »

Dr. Lawrence's comment on Pollux being bearded prompted me to go find mine. Didn't take as long as I thought it would given I hadn't seen it in ages. Not nearly as nice, but seems to indicate maybe a beard on Pollux - or baby fat cheeks! The only added detail is the wolf and twins.

c.rhodes

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 01:04:06 am »
Doug Smith has one (plain, without wolf and R&R) that also surely has both boys smooth-cheeked.  So it is just that 'florid' style of mine that made me consider the possibility of whiskers.  These are fun, almost as much fun as the Karthago set.  I never knew there was also an AETERNITAS with the Dioscuri flanking the Wolf (yours and the Reply#7 in the COTD thread).
Pat L.

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 01:17:18 am »
For convenience, here is the one in Reply #7 COTD.  Nice golden toning, by the way (could not resist it).  No beard.  George S.
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 04:42:43 pm »
Since he had sent me the file, Doug Smith said I also could edit it (to 900 pixels wide) to post here.
His specimen has different, very charming, large-headed twins.  The type as such is the same.
It seems good to see a range of engravers' styles in one thread.
Pat L.
CLICK
Are they wearing kalathoi on the brow, or did the prototype of the image (the same question applies to mine?) have stars over their heads, on spikes, or what?  The Dioscuri flanking the Wolf seem to wear kalathoi.

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 05:01:57 pm »
Here is my coin from Ostia, RIC 35. And it seems to be stars over the heads. The 2nd coin, Ostia 16, shows it without doubts.

Best regards

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 06:22:00 pm »
I think stars are intended in all cases here, rendered more or less successfully as stars.  I think Pat L.'s example with the "florid" style (and why not a beard?) is the most interesting depiction.  Well done, that die cutter!  George S.
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 11:30:53 pm »
Finally, an interesting comparandum.  I saw, and got, it years ago in CNG electronic 73, lot 67.  Today, while photographing something else, I decided to do this one, too (the scan was too gaudy).  I'll check to make sure I sent it to RPC Antonine.*
• 24 09 03 AE 27  10.07g  ~12:00  Troas, Abydus.  Marcus Aurelius, laureate, draped bust to r..  AV . M A . AV .    . ANTONINOS.  Rev., the Dioscuri standing between their horses to l. and r., holding their bridles, as on the Rep. denarius that shows the statues of the Temple of Castor and Pollux in the Forum (quoted frequently, but this is Asia).  The magistrate is Ael. Zoilus (Beamtennamen p. 73), but Lindgren's example is no help with the legend; he was asiarch under Marcus and Commodus (also coin of Faustina II in Lindgren), but I can't grasp the necessary clues for the rest of the legendWaddington is cited by LK, though.
---]A (or Omega)S AI    ZOILOV . and in exergue [AB]VDEta
The source of the reverse subject seems plain, and the portrait certainly is worth having.  But I bought it for the Dioscuri.
CLICK TO ZOOM
Pat L.
* Yes, in RPChttp://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/28/?search&stype=quick&q=Troas+Abydos+Marcus+Aurelius&rno=2

CzarMike

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 08:22:08 am »
Is that BD on your coin?

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 07:44:12 pm »
No, not on this one.  It is remains of green patina.  I have tested it many times.  Pat L.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 05:03:30 pm »
Philip Hill states in his book "The Monuments of Ancient Rome as Coin Types that :

The statues of the Dioscuri represented on this coin are likely those which were situated in the precinct of the Lacus Juturnae and probably dated from the 5th century B.C. The moneyer, L. Memmius struck denarii with this type during the Republic and although the positions of the Dioscuri relative to their mounts differ on this coin it is possible that, as the statues occupied separate bases, they may have been transposed at some period during the intervening four centuries.

My own example of this coin is below.

Alex.

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 05:47:55 pm »
And this type of Dioscuri holding their horses you find today on top of the high stair which leads to the Esquiline hill in Rome.

Best regards

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 04:58:06 pm »
Missed this thread, read it, found it interesting and here add a picture of the group you find on the Esquilinus, taken last October.

Frans

All coins are guaranteed for eternity