Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Caring for silver denari  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
Caring for silver denari
« on: July 15, 2009, 03:10:27 pm »
Salve brothers and sisters

After a couple of years' collecting I have a burgeoning but already interesting collection of about 50 Trajan denari. I am still very much a beginner but my collection is now reaching the point where I want to absolutely ensure I am caring for it correctly to maintain its quality and longevity. I am aware of some issues with storing bronzes but am ignorant of any problems I may encounter with silver. Are there any things I should remember when it comes to keeping silver???

For example - Should I or should I not handle my silver denari? I must admit I do like the feel of them in hand every now and then.

I keep them on velvet lined trays in a bog standard coin suitcase, is this sufficient or do I need something more suited?

I have heard of silver reacting badly to paper/card labels, is this true or a myth?

Any advice about silver would be much appreciated as I have nightmares of waking up one day and finding nothing but black slugs because I was unaware of some important silver keeping knowledge.

Cheers all
Kained

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
Re: Caring for silver denari
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 03:20:50 pm »
If your keeping them in velvet trays they should be fine. Just don't let them anywhere near PVC or they'll start turning green as I found out to my horror! Regards Adrian

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 04:02:06 pm »
I collect mainly denarii as well. The coins are currently stored in a safety deposit box at the bank, in 2x2 cardboard holders, organized by RIC number in coin boxes.

I normally hold them by the edge between my fingertips in order to avoid any fingerprints that may discolor or stain the coins.

At least you don't have to worry about bronze disease (unless you collect fourrees!).

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 04:23:18 pm »
I keep mine in PVC-free 2x2's, and handle them regularly. There wouldn't be any fun in keeping them in hermetically sealed containers and never touching them.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 09:34:19 pm »
I collect mainly denarii as well. The coins are currently stored in a safety deposit box at the bank, in 2x2 cardboard holders, organized by RIC number in coin boxes.

I normally hold them by the edge between my fingertips in order to avoid any fingerprints that may discolor or stain the coins.

At least you don't have to worry about bronze disease (unless you collect fourrees!).

You may not have to worry about BD, but be aware of Horn Silver, which is silver chloride, it is less common than BD, but can ruin a good silver coin.

You might think about the Airtite containers, they are a very hard plastic, with foam rings to keep the coins from sliding around and becoming worn. They are fairly easy to open if ou want the coin out for some reason.

Bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

Gao

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 11:20:46 am »
Actually, you can still get that with a coin that's debased enough.  I recently had a minor BD issue with a Neronian tetradrachm from Alexandria.

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 02:36:50 am »
If I didn't have daily access to my collection I would see no reason whatsoever in having it.
As to handling the coins, careful handling is perfectly okay. In the course of 2,000 years, give or take, these coins have seen a lot worse than my fingers. Holding them procides a direct link with history and that is really why I collect. Indeed, posessing these pieces of history, the marvellous little works of art, and daily handling and appreciating them is the ONLY reason I collect them. Others may have other reasons for and theories of collecting ancients and that is all well and good but I think that only by contact with the coins can one truly absorb the profound nature of what they really are. These aren't mdoern uncirculated or proof coins that a bit of contact with the skin will affect adversely. My advice: keep them close by, touch them, study them, and enjoy having them as part of your life!
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity