Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lamps for a worn coin: to see Hylas.  (Read 1050 times)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Lamps for a worn coin: to see Hylas.
« on: July 11, 2009, 12:49:09 am »
I thought that, as I am always recommending Ott-Lites and ones similar to them, I should offer some more solid advice.  One good thing about them is that they burn much cooler than incandescents.  They can be closer to a camera, safely.
Work in a darkened room or in the evening; the mini-fluorescents in these lamps should work alone, not fight with other light.
I took the tiny pocket camera (like a cell phone whithout a phone, so to speak) and tried to show the whole set up (pardon mess; last week I had a possum and had to move stuff around).
In the photos, you see my baking dish, my glass, my camera with 60mm Macro on copy stand, also the electronic release;* the coin in the illustration is a 26mm of Nicopolis of Septimius Severus (I thought you'd ask).
I set camera on Aperture Priority and the timer has 10 seconds to allow any jiggle to settle down.  My old eyes in glasses love automatic focus.  EXIF reports that it was at f.10 for 1/6 sec. with two lamps.
OK.  Notice that Trajan's portrait is more fully and faithfully rendered using 3 lamps together for even illumination.  The reverse, however, which also preserves less relief, to show Herakles accompanied by his young friend Hylas, profits from turning off the desk lamp placed at ±1h and letting the more distant standing lamp suffice for fill in.  I make it a rule always to employ the desk lamp at 10h; you can take pretty good photos with this one position (the one the ANS years ago taught us to use, by the way).  Most of the pictures on my web site were taken with the one lamp.  At the bottom of my baking dish is my 18% reflectivity neutral gray card, from the photo shop (but any neutral gray will do).   I do not 'paper-doll' my images (as if they were cut-outs pasted on colored poster board) and you can plainly see from my finished (finished for study) products how many and where the lamps were.
Pat L.    *I seem to have left off the electronic release when making the mock-up.
CLICK TO ZOOM
I want to thank Andreas for sending the Hylas coin to me.

Offline Paul D3

• Consul
Re: Lamps for a worn coin: to see Hylas.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 09:44:55 am »
Thanks for the post. One more for my "how to handbook". My "Ott" type light has made my photos better. The lights are cheap and I will get more and try these type of shots. I posted my latest ones, with, Ott light, in my gallery. I await my copy stand comming in the mail. Then I will start using the bowl and glass.
Paul

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
Re: Lamps for a worn coin: to see Hylas.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 01:21:50 pm »
Sigh...

I envy those who do not have someone(or three people in my case) who stands there and say "What in hell is this" every time I buy something that they don't understand or use :)

The fourth person in my case just like to push all the buttons and throw everything off the table...so I am resigned to use my 3-book setup ;)

BTW, excellent pictures Dr. !

All coins are guaranteed for eternity