Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What ONE coin in YOUR collection do you enjoy the most?  (Read 25304 times)

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: What ONE coin in YOUR collection do you enjoy the most?
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2009, 03:51:40 pm »
outstanding coin Cosmin!

i have been looking for one of these for quite some time now, but i won't be able to afford one comparable to yours. congratulations!

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2009, 06:12:18 pm »
Sorry, I should have said who it was. Mithridates II, king of Parthia. He ruled from about 123-88BC, and was one of their most powerful kings.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2009, 10:27:33 pm »
This is very much like choosing your favorite child, but here goes. I really love everything about this coin. I am a sucker for a great river patina, and this coin has a nice one. I love the way that the shiny highlights make the minute details that you normally can't see on coins with thicker patinas, jump out. In the hand the expressions of the horses really make them come alive and sell the motion of the scene. I had wanted one of these for a long time, and the moment I saw this one, I knew.

Dave I wish my Germanicus was half as nice as yours!

Well I know I already posted here but I think my new favorite has to be this one...

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2009, 02:05:08 pm »
Very nice coin, Titus! I love these eastern AE's, they are so very interesting!

Offline Danny S. Jones

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2009, 12:27:39 am »
My first love was a follis of Constantine, but I have long since added to my harem of ancients. It's hard to pick which coin I love the most, or even the type... (drachm, denarii, blonde, brunette, etc.) But one Severan reverse has intrigued me as of late, and I've tried to obtain several pieces of this type: The Dea Caelestis reverse, riding a lion above a rock with water gushing out. The coin possibly commemorated the establishment of the water works in Carthage. Nothing rare or expensive, but I love the type. Just something about the mystique of a goddess riding on a lion with a thunderbolt in hand; and the water from the rock sends the mind soaring back to Biblical times. I really love this coin.

OBV: SEVERVS  PIVS  AVG Laureate bust of Septimius Severus right.
REV: INDVLGENTIA AVGG; Dea Caelestis in elaborate headdress riding right on lion, holding thunderbolt & scepter, below, water gushing from rocks. IN CARTH in exergue.
RIC 266, RSC 222, BMC 335. A.D. 202 - A.D. 210
3.2g 19mm

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2009, 01:01:43 am »
Apparently from clashed dies.

On the rev., left of the water, I see an incuse V from the obv. legend.

More interesting still, this may be one of the rare cases where the clashed rev. die managed to inflict damage to the obv. die too, not just vice versa.  Isn't that the snout and front legs of the lion protruding before Septimius' mouth and nose on the obverse?

Can you find other traces of the clash, remembering that clashing produces mirror-image, slightly incuse images of the obv. type on the rev. and the rev. type on the obv.?

Have you seen my thread on the INDVLGENTIA AVGG IN CARTH type under Forvm's Classical Numismatics?
Curtis Clay

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2009, 02:00:59 am »
This enigmatic gem always captures my attention. It is struck from the only obverse die that was ever used to strike coins in the name of three successive rulers - Alexander III, Philip III and Seleukos I, paired with a resurrected reverse die  from which the Seleucid anchor was erased during the war for control of Babylon 310-308 BC, prior to being legend and control modified on four separate occasions :

Seleucid Kingdom, Babylonia, Uncertain Mint 6A, Seleukos I Nikator, 312-281 BC, AR Tetradrachm
Obv:   Head of Herakles right wearing lion skin
Rev:   ΒΑΣΙΛΣΩΣ ΣEΛEYKOY Zeus Aetophoros seated left, Π in left field (engraved over erased AΣT, anchor and MB monogram), letter A below throne; the only known example with these controls.
Ref:   CSE 938 (this coin); SC 69.7 (this coin). Babylonia, Uncertain Mint 6A, 305-301 BC.
(26.1mm, 16.743g, 9h). The blundered legend ΒΑΣΙΛΣΩΣ is a characteristic of the reverse die from which this coin was struck, in all four of its modified states, as noted by Newell
Forum Ancient Coins; ex- Arthur Houghton Collection: CNG 122 (7 September 2005) Lot 59.

This is a very enigmatic coin. The obverse die, very clearly of "Uncertain Mint 6A" type, that was used to strike the coin is here in an advanced state of wear. Previously it had been used to strike issues in the name of Alexander, then Philip and on this example Seleukos.  This is the only known die to have achieved such mileage!  Otto Morkholm's "Early Hellenistic Coinage" plate IX 149-151 illustrates the die paired with reverses bearing legends of each of the three rulers.

As if this is not enough of a point of interest, on this coin the enigmatic obverse is paired with a reverse die that is re-commissioned from the prior period of anchor erasure at Babylon II, when coins in the name of Alexander were subject to the anchor erasure.  This re-commissioning of a previously anchor erased but incomplete (no legend) reverse die involved the addition of the Seleukos legend to the die from which the anchor had been erased, plus successive re-engraving of the reverse controls on four separate occasions.  Note the blundered spelling of ΒΑΣΙΛΣΩΣ (Σ rather than E) on all modified states of the die. On this coin the reverse die is in its final state of modification.  A further enigma, the reverse die which based on stylistic considerations originated with almost 100% certainty from Babylon II mint is paired in its earlier states with an obverse die (used to strike the preceding two coins) that is most certainly not from Uncertain Mint 6A, but from Babylon I mint, or perhaps, though less likely Babylon II. Finally, it can be demonstrated that this coin issue using the modified reverse die is probably the earliest coinage issued in the name of Seleukos.

Offline Danny S. Jones

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2009, 05:51:41 am »
Apparently from clashed dies.

On the rev., left of the water, I see an incuse V from the obv. legend.

More interesting still, this may be one of the rare cases where the clashed rev. die managed to inflict damage to the obv. die too, not just vice versa.  Isn't that the snout and front legs of the lion protruding before Septimius' mouth and nose on the obverse?

Can you find other traces of the clash, remembering that clashing produces mirror-image, slightly incuse images of the obv. type on the rev. and the rev. type on the obv.?

Have you seen my thread on the INDVLGENTIA AVGG IN CARTH type under Forvm's Classical Numismatics?

I am reposting this on the "clashed dies" thread to continue the discussion about this coin. I am very interested in other opinions about this particular piece. If you can offer some info on this coin, visit the thread: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=41793.0

Pseudolous

« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2009, 09:43:41 am »
Now that I have done the research on my newest two coins, I like my latest muse:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2129&pos=6

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2009, 03:43:13 pm »
I should say so!  The Hercules alone is as good as all the muses together, and your specimen delights me, too.  Pat L.

Offline simmurray

• Consul
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2009, 03:50:18 pm »
My favourite is my Magnentius - my first decent coin I have a little peep at it a few times a week.  It holds nice memories for me.

Steve

Offline Julianus of Pannonia

• Consul
  • "VICTORIOSO SEMPER"
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2009, 01:34:53 pm »
Ive got much favourites in my collection, but one of the greatest coins ist the fallowing denarius of Julius Caesar.
quiet one of the only republican coins in my collection  :laugh:

regards
JoP

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2009, 05:59:56 pm »
My main collecting focus remains the coinage of Probus from Lugdunum and whilst I have started collecting Greek coins and have my eastern Severan collection the following coin is probably the one that I return to again and again and so I think must be the coin I enjoy the most.

Probus Antoninianus
Obv:VIRTVS PRO-BI AVG, Radiate, helmeted, cuirassed bust left, holding spear and shield, decorated with emperor riding past row of soldiers with shields
Rev:ADVENTVS PROBI AVG, Emperor riding left, right hand raised, left holding sceptre; at foot, captive
Minted in Lugdunum (IIII in exe.) Emission 5 Officina 4. End A.D. 277 to Early A.D. 278. (Bastien)
Reference(s) – Cohen 69. Bastien 256 (2 examples cited). RIC 64 Bust Type G (Rated Scarce)

This issue was minted as Probus returned through Lugdunum on his way back from fighting the Celtic tribes. This reverse type explicitly commemorating his visiting the city on his way back to Rome.

Regards,
Martin

Offline rover1.3

• Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2010, 05:11:35 pm »
My 5th century BC owl. Although is not the best, holding it is magical  :)
Pure Athens, i guess.

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2010, 12:23:06 am »
This is a GREAT question with lots of really beautiful coins! It's easy to see why each is the pride and joy of its owner :)

My favorite coin in my collection is the Hadrian sestertius (RIC 589b) pictured in my gallery.  Why? It has several merits on its own, but more importantly, this was my first large bronze coin and taught me that "bronze is beautiful." Since that time, I have dedicated myself to upgrading my collection to the largest, nicest bronzes I could find and afford.

mz

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2010, 01:04:46 am »
yeah Mark, that's one of my favorites from your gallery too. it looks almost sculptural.

~ Peter

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2010, 02:25:45 am »
yeah Mark, that's one of my favorites from your gallery too. it looks almost sculptural.

~ Peter

Peter,

Thanks. Coming from you, I consider that high praise, as my humble collection pales in comparison to yours.

mz

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2010, 03:14:23 am »
Beautiful Coins all.

Despite some of the problems I've have with this one, its still one of my favorites.

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2010, 08:05:31 am »
Yea Mark, I agree. Your bronze featured here is probably my favorite bronze I have EVER seen. There is just a very applealing artistic quality to it. Couple that with the very nice flan and patina and it is amazing!

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2010, 09:56:57 am »
Beautiful Coins all.

Despite some of the problems I've have with this one, its still one of my favorites.

Randy,

How could there be any kind of problem connected with owning one of these iconic coins??

I would love to hold it for you if it will relieve you of a problem! ;) A beauty!

mz

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2010, 10:00:55 am »
Yea Mark, I agree. Your bronze featured here is probably my favorite bronze I have EVER seen. There is just a very applealing artistic quality to it. Couple that with the very nice flan and patina and it is amazing!

Renegade,

I thank you and I agree with you!

When I saw it I just had to have it :)

mz

Offline El Reye

• Consul
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2010, 12:19:23 pm »
The one coin that I enjoy the most seems to always be the one most recently acquired, however after a while, it seems to lose its luster (metaphorically speaking) and I am required to acquire another to fulfill my enjoyment. See thread on coin alcoholic
Cameron
“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.”
Aesop   Greek slave & fable author (620 BC - 560 BC)

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
    • Eros on Roman Provincial Coinage
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2010, 01:04:32 pm »
What a hard question to answer (as many of the contributors to this thread have pointed out)! So - what to choose? A great rarity? A big, flashy coin? An FDC ancient? Your very first attractive coin? Most of my personal favourites have already appeared in FORVM discussions under "Provincial Coins" or elsewhere, so I've chosen an unspectacular little coin that, for its size (15 mm.), gives me complete satisfaction. It's rare, but probably not excessively so (though ISEGRIM lists only the BMC specimen), the style is excellent, the details are clear, and, though it's a bit cracked and battered, the metal quality is very good. Even better still: It didn't cost me very much.

Pionia in Troas, AE 15 of Hadrian, naming on the reverse a mgistrate "Niko", presumably the Strategus Nicomachus known from another coin of Hadrian from this city. Rev. Heracles standing facing, with club and lionskin. BMC 4. 1.16 g, 6 h.

Francis

Online *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2010, 02:00:55 pm »
This is easily my favourite Roman coin in my collection.

AUGUSTUS. AR Cistophorus (3 denarii) of Pergamum. Struck 19 - 18 B.C.

This coin was struck to commemorate Augustus' triumphant agreement with the Parthians in 20 B.C. under which they returned the legionary standards captured from Crassus who had been defeated and killed at Carrhae thirty-three years earlier (53 B.C.).

Obverse: IMP IX TR PO V. Bare head of Augustus facing right.
Reverse: Triumphal arch surmounted by Augustus in facing triumphal quadriga; IMP IX TR POT V on architrave; S P R SIGNIS RECEPTIS in three lines within arch opening, standards at either side.
RIC I : 510 ; BMC : 703 ; RSC : 298.

Alex.

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2010, 03:16:45 pm »
Beautiful Coins all.

Randy,

How could there be any kind of problem connected with owning one of these iconic coins??

I would love to hold it for you if it will relieve you of a problem! ;) A beauty!

mz

some authenticy issues, which were resolved   :)

I really like that sestertius of Hadrain alot as well , reminds me a bit of this denarius I have (anothe one of my favorites)

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-41564

All coins are guaranteed for eternity