Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: storage question  (Read 2722 times)

crassus

storage question
« on: June 05, 2009, 08:25:09 pm »
Hi
are holders like these good for keeping ancient romans?
thanks

Offline Tiberiusjulius

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
Re: storage question
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 10:40:19 pm »
As long as they are PVC free and you like how they look.
All the best
Josh

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 11:13:16 pm »
I personally don't like these because I have to open the cases to touch my coins and they themselves need something unwieldy to hold them(like a velvet tray).

I would just skip this and directly put the coin into the velvet tray.

Also, the coins are not exactly round, so finding a good fit is hard so the coins will almost always be banging against the case. 

crassus

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 11:14:36 pm »
are these PVC free?

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 11:17:30 pm »
if they are from airtite(spel?), they are.

Usually all fairly expensive modern coin holders are; and they usually say in the description

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 03:44:06 am »
I second what Ecoli said, the main drawback for me would be coins sliding around.
Especially with ancients I see the danger of damage to the patina if the coin bangs against the hard plastic.
Keeping your coins in an airtight container may make sense for modern coins (does it?) but not for ancients.
Andreas Reich

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 11:50:37 pm »
OK, I have to ask:  What does PVC, polyvinyl chloride do to ancients, silver, gold, bronze etc.? I use gem cases to store my coins. Now I am concerned. I buy the gem cases in a glass lid box and they are all foam filled in a foam filled box. The coins are tight and visible and to handle them I just open the individual lids. Very handy and economical since they come in sizes raging from 1/2" to 2 or more inches. They are great for coins. So what does PVC do? 

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 04:32:17 am »
I don't think that PVC has any effect on bronze coins but if you store silver in it you will get green patches forming overtime. It's not pretty! Personally I store my coins in trays contained within a hard carry case. The only problem been if you move it around too much the high points on your coins will become polished. Regards

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 08:04:56 am »
I don't think that PVC has any effect on bronze coins but if you store silver in it you will get green patches forming overtime. It's not pretty! Personally I store my coins in trays contained within a hard carry case. The only problem been if you move it around too much the high points on your coins will become polished. Regards

So I have to assume that not all plastic contains PVC. Anyone know about gem cases? Usually pvc is contained in vinyl softer plastics but what about hard plastic gem cases? Now I am worried about my storage methods. I have to assume slabbed coins would be in pvc free containers.
There are no recycling symbols on my containers to identify pvc. Wouldn't the soft coin flips have pvc? Thanks for the info.

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 08:32:58 am »
The soft coin flips are the ones to watch out for. Generally the stiff flips are ok as far as I know.

Sri_Sahi

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 10:42:48 am »
I don't think that PVC has any effect on bronze coins but if you store silver in it you will get green patches forming overtime.

PVC damage on bronze coins is like an oily "slime" which slowly corrodes the surface. Damaged coins still in the holder look "wet". Once the goo is cleaned away, the coin surface will be porous. There are commercial products available from coin supply houses to clean/treat PVC-damaged coppers.

Hard plastic gem cases should be fine. The greatest risk might be scratching from a broken case or "cabinet friction" if the coins slide around.

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 04:50:11 pm »
My understanding is that the C of PVC is of course Chloride, (PolyVinyl Chloride).  The Chloride part that lots of people above say will will just colour the coins green, can react with mositure in the air, and the copper in the bronze, to form Cuprous Chloride.  Further moisture in the air can make this Cuprous Chloride into Hydrochloric acid, and Cupric Cloride, at which point the acid will attack the coin further and form more Cuprous Chloride.  This can continue until there is no metal left.
This is otherwise known as Bronze Disease, or Green powdery death for bronze coins!
regards
Mark

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 05:01:41 pm »
I was just referring to siver coins when I say it will cause them to turn green as I have personal experience of this. I have no experience with bronze! Regards

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 09:33:24 pm »
One type of holder that is not mentioned, are the Airtite cointainers. they come in 4 basic sizes, with foam inserts to accommodate different coin sizes. the smallest holds coins from 10 mm to 22 mm or so. They are fairly easy to open, and the foam ring is coin safe, add that you can view from both sides. I use then for a large part on my medallion collection, and have a number of the romans in them.

Bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity