Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A denarius of Commodus overstruck by Septimius at Rome in 193 AD  (Read 9805 times)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
I obtained this unusual overstrike at CNG's E-Auction 210, 13 May 2009, lot 270.  3.07 gr., see CNG image below, plus a picture from CoinArchives of the overstruck types of Commodus.  The letters in brackets have been eradicated by the overstrike.

Overtype:

Clodius Albinus as Caesar, Rome, 193, the earlier issue without SEPT in his name,

[D CLODIV]S AL - BINVS CAES, head bare r.

[PROVID] - AVG COS, Providentia standing l. holding wand over globe and scepter.

Because of ALBINVS it can't be the later obverse legend with SEPT, which had ALBIN only:

D CL SEPT ALBIN CAES.

Undertype, obverse under obverse and reverse under reverse at virtually the same orientation as the overtypes: 

Commodus, Rome, 192:

[L] AEL AVREL CO - [MM AVG P FEL], head laureate r.

P M TR P XVII [IMP VIII COS VII P P], Fides Militum (?) standing l. holding curious "knotty" standard and cornucopia, perhaps traces of star in l. field adjoining the P of TR P.

The raised right arm holding the top of the standard before Providentia's face is all that survives of the figure of Fides from the undertype, but that is sufficient to identify the type: no other denarius type of Commodus' last year showed a standing figure holding a standard or scepter in raised right hand.

Now, despite frequent modern assertions to the contrary, it is certain that condemning an emperor meant condemning his coinage, and that the Roman emperors regularly made significant efforts to withdraw, melt down, and remint the coinage of their condemned predecessors, without of course ever succeeding to destroy anything like every coin issued.  We might guess that a very determined emperor might have been able to destroy half of his condemned predecessor's total coinage, but the other half of it doubtless eluded his grasp, explaining why coins of Caligula, Nero, Domitian, Commodus and other condemned emperors have survived in such quantities until the present day.

Since the Senate condemned Commodus in 193, it is to be expected that Pertinax, and perhaps Didius Julianus and Septimius Severus too, instructed their officials to withdraw and recoin coins of Commodus in that year.  Septimius' rehabilitation and deification of Commodus, which of course meant the end of any destruction of his coinage, did not occur until two years later, in 195.

However, my new overstrike cannot be interpreted as clear evidence of Septimius' recoining of the coinage of Commodus in 193, but must be seen as something accidental or exceptional, since condemned coinages were normally melted down and recast as new blanks, not overstruck directly as in this case!

Direct overstrikes of coins of later emperors on those of their condemned predecessors are extremely unusual, and in the few cases where they do exist, are exceptional and were generally not struck at Rome.

The only other cases I can think of are a rare series of provincial asses of Claudius, overstruck on asses of Caligula, and a unique Eastern denarius of Septimius Severus overstruck on a denarius of Pescennius Niger, in the British Museum from the collection of Roger Bickford-Smith.

Curtis Clay

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
Re: A denarius of Commodus overstruck by Septimius at Rome in 193 AD
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 09:11:16 pm »
Due to poverty, I sold my collection in the early 1970's but kept 3 coins that I considered special.  One was what I considered an overstrike.  Imagination is a wonderful thing but do you see Commodus rotated 1/8 turn under Domna?   I bought the coin in 1963 because I believed it was there and I still do.   My photo here is one of my sets of three different lightings on the same coin so you can tell more about it than any one shot could provide.  It happens to be from this same period.

Completely unrelated but without doubt is my Decius over Geta:
http://dougsmith.ancients.info/feac51dec.html

Overstrikes are unusual but interesting. 

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 09:54:49 pm »
It would certainly be nice to find another example of Septimius in 193 directly overstriking denarii of Commodus at the mint of Rome, but I have two hesitations. 

First, your Domna is definitely doublestruck on the reverse, and might it just be a doublestrike that has caused the deformations of the obverse too?  I don't see any distinct remains of an undertype on either side.

Second, I have doubts that the coin is from the mint of Rome; the style seems slightly too crude.

I am sure you have showed me this coin before, ten or more years ago, but I don't recall what I may have written you about it then!

There are indeed other well-known examples of direct overstriking of Roman coins by official mints, but for reasons other than damnatio. 

Most of Hadrian's cistophori were directly overstruck on earlier specimens, especially those of Mark Antony and Augustus, presumably because the recoinage was carried out at a large number of city mints, and direct overstriking was both easier and restricted the possibility of either errors or peculation that remelting and producing new flans would have entailed.

In 251 Decius and Gallus directly overstruck great quantities of old denarii into antoniniani in order to double their spending value, so your Decius over Geta.

In 260 Regalian struck all of his antoniniani directly on old coins taken from circulation, presumably because he didn't have the facilities to melt down the old coins and produce new flans!
Curtis Clay

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 04:31:41 am »
Were these overstuck denarii cold struck or were the flans heated?

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 05:38:30 pm »
They must have been heated, as cold silver alloy is far too hard to strike successfully.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity