Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The pose of Hilaritas on sestertii of Marcus Caesar, c. 145 AD  (Read 2043 times)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
The HILARITAS type of Marcus' COS II period, 145-7 AD, occurs on sestertii, middle bronzes, aurei, and denarii, and was doubtless struck mainly or exclusively in 145, since it had already been introduced at the end of the year before, with COS DES II (late 144).

The first picture shows the normal type: Hilaritas stands left, weight on r. leg, holding long palm and cornucopia, the tip of which curves left towards her body.

The second picture shows a variety that I first noticed in NAC R, 2007, lot 1542: Hilaritas still has her weight on her r. leg, but her cornucopia is turned the other way, its tip pointing away from her body, as though seen from a different angle because she is twisting her upper body more to the right.

The third coin I acquired from the recent CNG E256, lot 342: here Hilaritas has shifted her weight from her right to her left leg, the pose I call "standing right, head left", and the tip of her cornucopia again points away from her body.

These variations are minor, but I think they have to be regarded as deliberate, since they entail distinct changes from the standard type. I have not noted the variant poses on any other denomination (middle bronzes, aurei, denarii), though admittedly I have not searched very far.
Curtis Clay

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
Re: The pose of Hilaritas on sestertii of Marcus Caesar, c. 145 AD
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 09:27:16 pm »
Mr. C.,

To what do you attribute these differences and what are the inferences, if any?

mz

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 09:58:35 pm »
I judge the variants to be just artistic attempts to enliven the type, so nothing earth-shaking!
Curtis Clay

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 11:32:05 pm »
Oh well, at least the variations are well wrought and pleasing, aren't they?

mz

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 05:34:13 am »
Very interesting observation. It does seem odd, though, that all three variants were issued simultaneously...? I once noticed the different variants on the Caracalla Serapis types, but as you noted, each type was issued on a different date, so it makes more sense that they were different. Here's the thread:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=63223.0

Regards,
Ignasi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity