Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Canon SX10IS Opinions?  (Read 2370 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Canon SX10IS Opinions?
« on: April 24, 2009, 10:17:08 pm »
I haven't had any experience with Canon since before digital. 

I have been happy with Nikon cameras. 

But I am thinking about buying a Canon SX10 IS.  I looked at it at Best Buy the other day and the Macro capability was impressive.   I put the lens directly on a newspaper and read the text on the veiw screen.  They claim it is good at a distance near zero and it seems to be true. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Mark Lundgren

Re: Canon SX10IS Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 07:34:09 pm »

Joe,

I just got an SX110IS (not quite as much camera as the 10's).  I'm very impressed with it's macro feature (and the lens in-general) so I'm sure the SX10IS will be great.  I will publish a shot after I've had a little more practice, but just putting coins on the coffee table in ambient light, I was able to get right on top of them (like an inch away) and take convincing pictures.   I'm not a big digital toy user, but I found it very easy to switch to macro,  and I could easily adjust ISO.  I'm really looking forward to taking some good shots of my collection.  This is my first Canon, and I'm sold on it.

PS:  It's already survived a full drop, by my nine year old, onto the street, with the lens open.   For those concerned, the child also survived ; )

-Mark

gavignano

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 10:00:55 pm »
Joe - I'm very curious also, as I saw it listed as being able to get up to less than one half of one inch to an object. That would be quite amazing for coins. The one you are looking at - the 400 USD cost, right?
Only marginally related but my wife has a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT and it is incredibly simple to use and takes magnificient (non super macro) pics. I consider Canon fully equal to Nikon in quality for these types at least. (i've tried Nikons).

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 10:47:33 pm »
Just an opinion:  A camera that requires being 1/2" from a coin to take its picture is next to worthless for good photos.  At that distance, it is hard to get light evenly on the surface without shadows were you don't want them.  Look for a camera that will fill the frame with your coin from a greater distance which means it offers macro capability at longer focal lengths. 

I'd love to see reports of various model cameras with the statistic of how far from the coin you are when filling the frame with a denarius.  I have used cameras with this measurement ranging from 3" to 9" and the last is far easier to get results I find pleasing.  Your opinions may vary.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 12:04:02 am »
I don't think it actually requires being 1/2," I think it is just capable at a 1/2."  Actually even a 1/4" which is amazing even if not useful. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 10:27:23 am »
I don't think it actually requires being 1/2," I think it is just capable at a 1/2."  Actually even a 1/4" which is amazing even if not useful. 

The research I did on this model showed what they term Super Macro photos filling the frame with a daffodil.  Making a lens focus on the front element is not difficult at wide angle settings.  the Canon XT mentioned by Gavignano with standaard 18-55 kit lens can be made to do this with the addition of a small extension tube.  This was the point I was making on my flower photo image comparing similar crops of macro show at wide and telephoto settings.  I'll give the link since it is not a coin:
http://www.pbase.com/dougsmit/image/57576032

Note the left image shows the stamen as black since they are about 1mm from the lens and inside the filter threads.

There is a good review site for digital cameras offered by Steve's Digicam.   Pull down the menu list and find the camera in question.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

Once in the review use the page selection pull down (at left) to go to the Specifications page.  The SX 10 IS entry :
Focusing Range
   Normal: 1.6 ft./50cm-infinity (W), 3.3 ft./1m-infinity (T)
Macro: 0.39 in.-1.6 ft./1-50cm (W)
Super macro: 0-3.9 in./0-10cm (W)

The lack of a mention of macro followed by (T) often means the camera lacks macro at longer settings.  Unfortunately, older pages showed macro measurements from the film plane rather than the front of the lens so it is hard to compare. 

The SX10IS appears to be a great general purpose camera from the review but I still would suggest buying it from a place that takes returns until we see someone demonstrate how well it fills the frame with a denarius at a distance that allows light onto the coin.   

Mark Lundgren

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 01:06:03 am »
I'm afraid this is just the table lamp on my coffee table  (I haven't set up any lighting yet), and it's not quite a denarius (but close: 15x17 mm).  Hand held, no tripod yet.

Here's 8 inches and 4 inches, and the 8 inch shot blown up

I should have noted, THIS IS THE 110 not the 10.  This is the $200 camera  (under rough conditions)

I think it's going to be a great choice for someone that doesn't want to spend a lot.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 01:13:11 pm »
...but I still would suggest buying it from a place that takes returns...

Which is exactly why I don't already have one - 10% restocking fee at Best Buy and that is my only option here. 

Nice hand-held photo Mark. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 10:15:39 pm »
i wanted to Bump this thread and ask if anyone has any further experience, good or bad?
this certainly seems to fit my need and budget.

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 09:04:31 am »
I looked at one the other day.  (My daughter is showing great interest in photography and recently submitted to photos in a local contest and won prizes with both).  I should have her photograph my coins.  My photos are horrible.

In any event, Ritz camera has it.  The salesman showed me all the features and macro capabilities etc.  Looks amazing.  In addition, no stocking fee on returns, $100 off on a second lens and 17 free photography classes along with other assorted goodies.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity