Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Poll

Would you use artificial patina on your private collection?

NEVER! That's sacrilegeous!
10 (27.8%)
Only under the rarest circumstances
13 (36.1%)
sometimes...
10 (27.8%)
of course.  If it makes the coin look nicer
3 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Poll: artificial patina  (Read 12588 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Poll: artificial patina
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2009, 01:22:41 pm »
I differentiate between toning and patinaToning is a very thin darker layer that usually develops fairly quickly naturally.  Patina is thicker, usually green and takes a very long time to form. 

I believe that stripping a coin to bare metal, especially just because it is the fastest and easiest way to clean it, does the real damage. Toning a coin naturally (on a windowsill) or artificially with sulphur (dellers or other) does little damage at that point. 

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2009, 01:49:04 pm »
I too, hava a Nero sestertius with a bothersome patina. It has a nice portrait and chocolate brown patina, but the bare metal shows through at several points on the bust, which I have always felt somewhat detracts from it's beauty. I have heard about Deller's, and have wondered if a small bit might might do the trick without compromising or cheapening the coin's look. Here it is for reference, any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions?

Deller's is sulfur based and causes surface oxidation.  I think it would turn those bare areas black.  As a result, not sure I'd use it on that coin.  From a personal perspective, I think that coin is beautiful as is and wouldn't do anything to it.

Having said that, I know Jax comes in different colors, but I don't know the process through which it works or what it looks like when done.  Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2009, 04:59:03 pm »
I've used it successfully to improve several coins like that.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity