Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin Storage  (Read 4429 times)

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
Coin Storage
« on: February 28, 2009, 02:37:02 pm »
I've been looking for some decent wooden coin storage units for a while.  I know that there are at least two manufacturers of very nice mahogany cases, but by the time I figure out what I need and put it in the cart, it winds up really pricey.  Money better spent on coins at this point of my collecting priorities.  Finally found some units that aren't bad though.  About 30 USD each and they're stackable.  Not the best quality, but they happen to slide in perfectly in one of my closet shelves, so they'll do for now.  Every unit was just a bit warped, but that fact is fairly well hidden by the fact that the units just slide into the shelf, although you can see some of the warping in the pics below.  (The seller replaced two of the units sent because one was VERY warped and the other had a broken drawer.  The replacement units arrived within 3 days of a phone call, so customer service was very good).

The drawers are removable and the trays interchangeable so it's all pretty flexible.  Pics below.

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
Re: Coin Storage
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 02:40:08 pm »
Couple of additional pics:

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 02:41:49 pm »

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 02:46:26 pm »
Many nice coins. My advice, put them into a safety deposit box in a bank vault.
It severly reduces enjoyment of your collection, but should your collection be stolen...real agony.
PeteB

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 02:49:52 pm »
I've been considering that, but I'm hoping that the combination of a very good alarm system and a 125 pound dog balances out the safety concerns a bit:)

Offline SVLLAIMP

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 08:10:51 pm »
I have actually been curious about that, do many people here keep their coins in a safe deposit box?  I just can't imagine doing that myself, not just because I don't have any truly valuable coins, but because it seems like it makes the coins less of a hobby to be enjoyed than an investment to hoard.

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 10:10:20 pm »
i feel the same way as you do SULLAIMP, as i get my greatest enjoyment by actually living with my coins. i often break them out and re-examine them after reading a relavent post here, and often find something new even in coins i have owned for twenty years or more. that would be far more difficult were they stored away somewhere out of reach.

however i can't help thinking in the back of my mind that this is a dangerous course to steer, and i am considering CGPCGPs advice and installing a decent security system (i already have a decent dog;)  ). i don't like to live paranoid, but some things are just good practice.
what's that old saw...  "Trust in God, but keep your doors locked"?

romeo

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 05:03:11 am »
i think if its a random snatch n grab burglary then it goes without saying every home should have a good secrurity system anyway and maybe a thief would rather snatch the television than trying to get a simple safe secured onto a main wall for instance. (which is a alternative to having them stored away somewhere else. the real problem is if someone finds out that you have a collection like this and targets your home for this reason alone, so i guess in this internet world its best to sometimes limit your info that you give out espicially when it comes to where you live.
but back to original thread.. the coin storage looks good but my problem i always find is displaying the coins along with a card with the description of the coin. do you put it underneath coin, where it cant be read without lifting coin? i know its a finicky point but i can never seem to find a satisfactory solution. or maybe im being fussy.  ;D

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 06:41:52 am »
but back to original thread.. the coin storage looks good but my problem i always find is displaying the coins along with a card with the description of the coin. do you put it underneath coin, where it cant be read without lifting coin? i know its a finicky point but i can never seem to find a satisfactory solution. or maybe im being fussy.  ;D

I use a three-ring binder.  The first two pages are tables that have the same number of boxes as the coin trays.  Each table represents a drawer and I've numbered the boxes in each table.  The next several pages in the notebook are the numbered paragraphs with pictures and descriptions of the coins.

romeo

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 07:51:35 am »
ahhh , good thinking batman! ;)

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 03:39:43 pm »
yes, that sounds very organized.
i have been thinking about a similar storage system for my collection, but i'm wondering CGPCGP if the one you have works as well if the coins remain in their flips?

i have a beautiful old coin cabinet that i bought used many, many years ago but never use. the problem is that the individual compartments are round, so i can't keep them in their flips. i prefer the protection the flips afford, rather than having the coins sliding around in the drawers. and then the information is right there too, of course.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 03:54:22 pm »
An alternative I'm thinking about is to do what many dealers do, get trays that are big enough for coins in their flips
or at least coins and the tags. The wear caused by the coins sliding around on the paper that is a major problem with dealers
shouldn't be one as I don't intend to travel with them. If I did I would have to put them all in flips. That way they can't fall out, I saw that at a coin show and it was a mess and a headache to match coins to tags to find out the price.
The dealer hadn't even started yet and just wandered off, leaving his wife at the table and surely losing some sales.
Andreas Reich

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 08:10:29 pm »
yes, that sounds very organized.
i have been thinking about a similar storage system for my collection, but i'm wondering CGPCGP if the one you have works as well if the coins remain in their flips?

Yes.  They make the insertable trays for flips.

http://www.safepub.com/catalog/coins/nova.htm#nova%20sizes

From the website:  6354,6354DO   6854,6854DO   12   54   2-1/8   2" x 2" Holders, Medals

Mike Willner

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 12:22:26 pm »
I'm also looking for a good solution for storage, and was referred to this thread. Currently I'm using the Landmark Opitima system.

http://www.coins-and-banknotes.com/Album-and-collector-accessories/Coin-album/OPTIMA-coin-album/Extra-pages-for-Classic-Optima-M-35.html

Don't know if you can see, but it is a page with pouches that you slide in and out strips of coin holders, open at the side. I put the coin on one side and slip in a card opposite with the coin information, my inventory number, etc. It works well, and I can take my coins out to play with them (I hate the idea of slabs or 2 x 2s for ancients). Problem is I have to slide them out of the plastic and I'm afraid of abrasion (though someone mentioned that there is little to be concerned about with the soft PVC plastic). Also, since the holders are open on the side I'm always afraid the coins will slip out.

Considering trays, the question of how to keep the attribution / inventory information with the coin also arises. I guess I could put the card in the tray compartment but I'd be concerned about the coin sliding around on the card, and it kind of ruins to presentation. I guess I'd follow the same approach as with my Optima, putting a coin in one compartment and the card next to it...  but this will get expensive as it effectively cuts the storage space in half.

Sigh... still undecided. As some point soon I have get more storage, and I'll to make a call and either commit to the Optima or switch to the trays. Hopefully one of you will make the commitment before me and be able to report all the pros and cons:)

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 01:07:44 pm »
For Roman or Greek coins remembering what they are tends not to be a problem (that's not the case for some of my other coins).  However if you are concerned that info might get lost - just consider your tray as a grid square - numbered accordingly and then have all the relevant info on a spreadsheet - beside that number.

I have all my coins photographed and the image is labelled with all the information that is essential - so that helps keep track of things as well

all the best

Malcolm

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 07:37:19 pm »
Cross-posted from another topic.....

I had always wanted a mahogany cabinet to house my coins, but price was always an issue.  So I figured the best way to get one was to build my own..... 

I just finished it about two weeks ago.

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 08:10:45 pm »
Beautiful work!  My attempt to build something failed.  Miserably.

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 03:56:08 pm »
This looks great.  Are the bottoms of the individual circles lined individually or did you sandwich one piece of fabric under the wood with the holes and back it with a solid board?

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 08:15:11 pm »
Wonderful, I was planning tomake one like that to hold the cointains that I like to use. They come in about 5 sizes, but are adaptable to to many other sizes by using foan rings. So thin shallow drawers will work well. I was thinking of using birch plywood, using 2 pieses one 1/16th inch [about 2 mm] and the othe 1/8th inch [3.5 mm] . Great work and a beautiful unit.

Bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 12:24:23 am »
This looks great.  Are the bottoms of the individual circles lined individually or did you sandwich one piece of fabric under the wood with the holes and back it with a solid board?

The holes are individually drilled and individual felt discs are then inserted into each one.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity