Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage  |  Topic: how to treat this silver denarius? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: how to treat this silver denarius?  (Read 1682 times)
stef n
« on: December 12, 2008, 05:29:04 am »

elagabal corrosion on the reverse
Dino
Procurator Caesaris
Quaestor
Caesar

Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 06:29:04 am »

I'd bet you could pop those off pretty easily with a needle in a pin vise under magnification.

awl
Comitia Curiata
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 08:25:46 am »

I would not use mechanical cleaning on siver, it could end scratching the coin. Lemon juice is probably the safest option for this coin.
casata137ec
Caesar

Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 04:57:27 pm »

Or just leave them. They do not detract and for that matter, it is an ancient coin! Wink

Chris

Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691
Gavignano
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

"I check Forvm daily, and take a multivitamin."

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 08:07:30 pm »

I would not touch this coin either. Risk outweighs any minor benefits. Its already very nice - exceptional clean cheek on the obverse.

"May all your campgates be Ticinums"
areich
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 12:28:52 am »

Or just leave them. They do not detract and for that matter, it is an ancient coin! Wink

Chris

I agree completely.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage  |  Topic: how to treat this silver denarius? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop