Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Quick bd question  (Read 1442 times)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Quick bd question
« on: November 30, 2008, 09:08:59 pm »
I have just recently had a break of bronze disease (first time any of mine have gotten it that didn't come in with it) and wondered (and I know that this will probably sound stupid) if I should throw away the plastic flip?

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

gavignano

Re: Quick bd question
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 10:25:26 pm »
Chris - far from a stupid question. I have read other posts that suggest to do this. I guess one could clean the flip, but it would hardly seem worth the trouble.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 12:25:16 am »
I have just finished processing, following Moonmoth's instructions, which did so well for me before, seven imperial Rome mint aes.
The newest of them (in my possession) is the Iuventas sestertius, which is emerging much improved (see recent IVVENTAS thread; new photo tomorrow).  The others, including a PAX I used for a Xmas card last year, looked fine when I got them and for some time thereafter.  All of them, I think, had been hastily treated for BD, by middlemen if not the seller, to make them saleable.  I recommend checking your whole collection of brass, bronze, and copper once a year.  It is noteworthy, I think, that none of these came from any dealer like Forvm, or those that publish hardcopy catalogues.  But if you live in any kind of odd climate, check them all, anyway.
Pat L.

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 11:36:52 am »
I have just recently had a break of bronze disease (first time any of mine have gotten it that didn't come in with it) and wondered (and I know that this will probably sound stupid) if I should throw away the plastic flip?

Chris

The only answer is toss out the flip. No wmatter how well you think you have cleaned it, there will be particles, and they are inexpensive. Why ask for trouble.

Bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 09:26:52 pm »
Thanks everyone, I figured, but I didn't really know how communicable bd was.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

All coins are guaranteed for eternity