Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Assistance with an unidentified Perseus type  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Samaritan

• Praetorian
  • www.ancientcoinage.org
Assistance with an unidentified Perseus type
« on: June 14, 2008, 09:03:10 pm »
I have been struggling to identify the reference to this Perseus/Medusa type. The obverse seems like it is Domitian (in a classical Augustan style). Moreover, although the reverse is clearly an ode to Perseus...the style of this Greek Hero looks a bit more like the standard emperor image (perhaps a melding of the classic tail with Domitian as heroic emperor?). Regardless, I am unfamiliar with this particular mint. I have tracked quite a few Perseus types to include:
1) Cilician types (Tarsus) - Anonymous (time of Hadrian), Gordian (multiple types), Maximinus I (multiple types), Balbinus, Pupienus, Trajan Decius (multiple types), Trebonianus Gallus, Valerian I (Aegeae) Philip II, (Coropissus) Maximinus, (Anemurium) Maximinus I
2) Alexandria (Antoninus Pius)
3) Iconium (Anonymous - Zeus), GALATIA, Claudiconium (Claudius), Lycaonia (Hadrian and Gallienus)
4) Argos (Lucius Verus, Caracalla)
5) Phrygia, Sebaste) Caracalla   
6) Deultum (Macrinus, Diadumenian, Gordian, Tranquillina, Philip I)
7) Paultalia (Caracalla)
and then a variety of Greek types like those from PAPHLAGONIA, Sinope and many other locations...all that said, this coin couldn't pass for any of them so I am currently stumped.

Any help in attribution or finding a similar type at previous auction here would be great! Also, any solid guesses on the legend would also be of help.
Thanks!
Mark

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Assistance with an unidentified Perseus type
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 09:15:35 pm »
I can find nothing in RPC I & II, including both supplements, using the index of reverse types.  The size might help someone.

Steve

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 09:34:00 pm »
It's likely this one, of Trajan, as listed in Isegrim; though the portrait does not look much like Trajan, the specimen in SNG France has the clear legend ... NEROYAS TRAIANOS:

PRO:   CILICIA TRACHEIA
PO :   IOTAPE <?>
PZ :   Between 98 and 117
   Obverse
VSG:   KAISAR NEROYAS TRAIANOS
VT :   PORTRAIT MAN L / TRAIANUS
VA :   WREATH LAUREL
   Reverse
RSG:   IW..
RT :   MAN STANDING HL(1) / PERSEUS(1)
RA :   HAND RAISED / HARPA(1) / GORGONEION(1)
   Technical details
M  :   AE
GR :   28(1)
GEW:   14.55(1)
   Bibliographical references
ZIT:   SNG FRANCE 2 0677(1) / COLL PARIS 625(1) / SLG WADDINGTON 4324(1) / LEVANTE NC 1991 S210,1(1)
   Additional remarks
FR :   VS: KAISAR NEROYAS TRAIANOS RS: IW..
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline Samaritan

• Praetorian
  • www.ancientcoinage.org
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 10:08:57 pm »
Excellent. Can't believe I didn't see it in that reference...but perhaps it's old age. Thanks again, I am sure in looking at the coin that you have solved the mystery for me.

Mark

Offline Tiathena

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 12:57:55 am »

Is it just my eyes – or is that an obverse die match?

Facilius per partes in cognitionem totius adducimur.  ~ Seneca
My Gallery

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 08:14:46 am »
Looks like it to me too.  As for snagging that reference, I believe it was actually mis-entered in Isegrim, to the point that the search-strings vt: portrait man l ra: harpa and vt: portrait man l rt: perseus.* both successfully led to the type we were after while the search-string vt: portrait man l rt: perseus did not.  (".*" signals a wild-card extension in Isegrim, but what's the extension completing a free-standing "perseus"?)  If a type ought to show up in Isegrim, it generally will, but it may take a few variations on your search-parameters.

Isegrim Really Works / Really Working with Isegrim:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=44094.0
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity