Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 1st photo with new lens  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Cleisthenes

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • "not unlike a clamberer on a steep cliff," Newman
    • Swimmin' Lessons
1st photo with new lens
« on: May 13, 2008, 06:27:44 am »
I just received this lens in today's post.   It is a Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 (thank you very much Pat L.!).  I just got home from work, mounted the new lens and set it on f/4 for 1 second.  I did not do any post photo "touching up."  The image posted is the one the camera took, and it looks, pretty much, just like the coin!

Elagabalus AE 26; 26.62mm, 12.7g; Nicopolis ad Istrum, 218-222 A.D. Obverse: Radiate bust of Elagabalus right.

Jim
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Nullum Gratuitum Prandium!
"Flamma fumo est proxima!"--Plautus
 :Chi-Rho:

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: 1st photo with new lens
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 08:22:36 am »
That is a great pic! My new copy stand is suppose to be here today and I hope to take pics half as good as that!

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Cleisthenes

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • "not unlike a clamberer on a steep cliff," Newman
    • Swimmin' Lessons
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 09:29:16 am »
Chris,

Thank you for the kind words, but I'm pretty sure the real credit goes to the lens :)!

Cheers,
Jim
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Nullum Gratuitum Prandium!
"Flamma fumo est proxima!"--Plautus
 :Chi-Rho:

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 12:25:27 pm »
I am overjoyed that the 'Manual' lens works so well on a new DSLR.  I found the prospect of rephotographing my entire collection manual focusing through the eyepiece too daunting, so I bought the AF son, so to speak, of this same lens, the AF 60mm f.2.8, and I rejoiced in Cleisthenes getting the 55mm  f.2.8.  I am so glad that it arrived promptly; the postage halfway around the globe is not so bad as you'd think!
Congratulations on your photo.  All you need is some reflected light on the dark edge; Doug Smith, who soon will have posted a new page on coin photography, is quite right that aluminum foil works well.  I wish I could claim that my first DSLR photo was as good as yours.
Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity