Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My Most Troublesome coin !!  (Read 1499 times)

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
My Most Troublesome coin !!
« on: December 31, 2007, 11:43:16 pm »
The Hadrian Sestertius below, has been one of my most problematic coins to photograph ever.
Now that I am starting to get familiar with the new digital SLR purchased a few months back, I decided to take another stab at it. And I think I finally have a photo that looks close to reality. I would love to hear any comments positve or negative on the new photo vs the old one taken on my old camera.

First the old:

And the New:

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: My Most Troublesome coin !!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 01:48:29 pm »
The second (new) one is much better (to my eyes at least), but now there is a wierd dull line on the left side of the reverse...

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 04:09:30 pm »
Thanks,

That dull line is real, it seems to be a deep scratch that someone may have tried to fill with something at some point.  :-\

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 04:56:43 pm »
Indeed, and a good photo always will show such damage unmistakably.  I think it's an excellent photograph.  Pat L.

Offline ROMA

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 10:55:51 am »
The second photo is superior. The lighter color allows you to see better detail, for instance in the area of the eye in Hadrian's portait. I try to keep in mind that a good photograph is one that most realisticaly showcases the coin, not just one that shows off a coins strongpoints and hides its weakpoints best. Nice photo, and nice coin btw!
Adversus solem ne loquitor

All coins are guaranteed for eternity