Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: recently added  (Read 49257 times)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: recently added
« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2011, 09:21:20 pm »
Dino - Thanks! I ahve enjoyed adding them! lol

Danny - it may be irrational, but I still hate them...and speaking of which, I am adding a new freakin fouree tonight...this one an older greek! lol

Anyway...time is short so right to it.

Included tonight:

1 fouree of an Arados tetraobol (purchased mistakenly...long story)
1 Homer coin from Smyrna (always wanted one...this one was in my price range and full identifiable!)
1 triobol from Phokis (nifty chunk of silver!)
1 semi ok Carthaginian from Sardinia
and one nifty 1/8 Satamana from Taxila - take a sec and read the info on it, they are actually pretty interesting!

Enjoy!
Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2011, 12:15:23 am »
Great additions. that 1/8 Satamana  is pretty cool

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #152 on: April 09, 2011, 11:21:33 am »
Thanks Randy, I'm with you. I thought it was pretty cool myself!  :)

In keeping with my tradition of collecting odd, worn, and obscure coins of all eras and cultures, I am presenting a freak show assortment today!  ;D I am only posting five today, as I am waiting on a couple and am trying to get final attributions on a few others, but they are all pretty interesting.

Included today are:

1 worn and beat up Republican denarius featuring a bust of Roma w/equestrian statue, aqueducts reverse
1 Sicilian (under roman rule) worn bronze featuring the bust of Isis/head dress of Isis reverse
1 small Sicilian bronze (these small versions are rarer than the larger Heiron II versions) trident reverse
1 drachm from Rhodes featuring the bust of Helios and Rose incuse reverse (magistrates name is off flan and there were a ton of variants minted, so I have it marked as "similar to", thanks for your help on this one Nick!)
and 1 small 4 century AD bronze. "What!" you say. "That is much later than I am interested in...I won't bother looking at that one." BUT, what if I were to say that it was an Aksumite coin? Probably the same thing I did when I first heard the name. "Who?" Well, after a bit of research, I found that they were an interesting and enigmatic people. Take a couple of minutes and read what I found out about them (a few points of interest) and then go check them out in more depth. I am sure you will agree that they are worth having at least one example of! (I did anyway! lol)

Enjoy,
Chris

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #153 on: April 11, 2011, 07:27:15 pm »
Well, I am on an attribution roll, so I have 5 more to add. On the whole, a so-so group, but the two greek bronze are actually pretty nice. :)

Included are:

1 Marcus Aerulius As featuring sacraficial implements...no great shake on the obverse, but the reverse is pretty nice. I got this from FORVM auctions a long while back for cheap due to the fact that it was painted black! lol literally! The seller adveritsed it as such. After stripping it and letting it sit on the window sill for the winter (polluted snow and ice) this is what I have. Not horrible.
1 Diva Faustina I from Bostra. This one made it few the ID forum twice with no luck, I moved it to the Greek forvm and Minos came up with an attrib like it was nothing...and as it turns out it isnt even greek! Go figure!
1 chewed up diobol from Calabria. If you squint just right you can see Heracles shoving his arm down the lion's throat! lol
1 pretty nice sikyon bronze. Sure they are common as all get out, but I really like them! :) (nice obverse, flatly struck reverse)
and 1 nice bronze trichalkon of the Arkadian League featuring the horned head of Pan/ big monogram rev

Enjoy!
Chris

Offline rover1.3

• Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #154 on: April 11, 2011, 07:58:21 pm »
I like the Sikyonian dove...
It is a type which brings to me beautiful, warm and euphoric feelings.
I really need to get one of these hauntingly beautiful coins one day.

Nice additions Chris!

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #155 on: April 12, 2011, 03:37:29 am »
some interesting additions there Chris.

if i may offer a suggestion, i don't think that the Tarantine diobol shows Athena's helmet decorated with a Skylla hurling a stone (the more common type), but rather decorated with a hippocamp (slightly less common). this would probably match with circa Vlasto 1290-1299.

it also may not be from Taras at all, but from Herakleia instead. they also struck this type, and also with a hippocamp on the helmet. these coins typically have an 'HE' above the lion (often off the flan), however in this condition that would be hard to prove. still, you might want to investigate circa SNG Cop 1118.

~ Peter

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #156 on: April 12, 2011, 08:07:28 am »
thanks Peter, I will look in to that this evening. :)

and thanks Nick! I really liked the dove as well.

Chris

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #157 on: April 12, 2011, 08:26:03 am »
Nice to see your foray into Greek coins has crossed the Ionian Sea from Sicily to the Peloponnesus.  Really like your Arkadian League bronze.

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #158 on: April 12, 2011, 03:26:33 pm »
Nice to see your foray into Greek coins has crossed the Ionian Sea from Sicily to the Peloponnesus...

yeah, but he's just slummin'.

;)

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #159 on: April 12, 2011, 04:19:50 pm »
Alot of cool additions!

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #160 on: April 12, 2011, 09:36:50 pm »
Randy - thanks man, I am digging the recent crop a bunch too.  :)

Dino/Peter - I have a couple thesselian coins heading my way...and that beautiful Phoenician (I had to post it in CotD...I love looking at it! lol) I just got, but yeah...I will be heading back to the Western Med here pretty soon...although I do have my eye on a drachma from Lokris...we shall see...  ;)

Chris

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #161 on: April 13, 2011, 09:17:41 am »
Just remember who started those colonies over there.   ;D

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #162 on: April 16, 2011, 10:28:42 am »
Just remember who started those colonies over there.   ;D

If I am remebering correctly, it was mostly guys that were trying to get away from central Greece;D

Speaking of central Greece, it just so happens that I have a couple from Thessaly that I am adding today (thanks Andreas! they are beautiful). :) I only have 4 entries today, but they are all pretty nice. Included are:

1 pretty ares(?)/nymph from Phalanna
1 nifty Poseidon (?) (Zeus, depending on the publication)/ horseman
1 absolutly beautiful Phoenician with a goergous blue patina and absolutly spotless Phoenician script. I cannot, for the life of me, read it (trust me, I have all the links and even a paper guide to the language, but my brain simply will not make sense of it!) though, so if anyone out there can, and could take a minute to explain how I should be reading it, I would be an open eared, willing student!
and 1 (way out of my normal collecting sphere) nice Licinius I follis (also aquired from Andreas (areich)) that I had to get due to the giant head of Jupiter on the reverse. He kind of reminds me of somthing you would find on Easter Island. I imagine that with his skinny frame, he would have trouble holding his head up! lol

Anyway, enjoy,
Chris 

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #163 on: April 16, 2011, 02:13:14 pm »
That Phoenician piece is really striking - really nice!  Your gallery is well-presented and there are some interesting pieces there.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #164 on: April 23, 2011, 10:36:09 am »
Thanks Cliff! I have done my best to find interesting and obscure coinage to present here. I am glad you enjoyed! :)

Well all, I knew the time was coming, and now it is here. My wife's hours got cut drastically, therefore new coinage (both ancient and modern! lol) will be pared back quite a bit. Although this sucks quite badly, it is going to force me to actually get my whole collection identified and processed instead on just the coinage I am currently obsessing on. This will keep me busy for a while...for that matter, some of them have been sitting around long enough that they will be like new to me! (I can think of one baggie in particular filled with Nicaean standard coins that I have been avoiding for years!) I also have a 50+ soaking that I have been cleaning slowly... With that said, I only have one new one to add today.

Included are:

1 Macrinus tetradrachm from Beroea. I love these Syrian tets, especially from the Severan era and I did not have one of him. The portrait is nice and stern and the eagle is well done, but the control mark is one of the oddest ones I have seen. Per C. Clay "According to Prieur following H. Seyrig, probably a winged and horned lion, three of which occur at the feet of Beroea's patron god Haddad as an idol on a bronze coin of the city." Curtis also pointed out that "Reverse dies like yours showing Caracalla's title COS IIII (YPATOC D), wrong for Macrinus,  could be considered to be old dies of Caracalla that for practical reasons simply continued to be used under Macrinus. They are so prolific at Beroea, however, as to suggest that some of them were perhaps newly cut under Macrinus, by engravers who just unthinkingly copied Caracalla's titles from the mint's earlier tetradrachms." Information like this is what keeps me collecting.

Enjoy,
Chris

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #165 on: April 23, 2011, 05:21:07 pm »
i can sympathize completely Chris!

a few years back my financial situation increased rather significantly, which in turn renewed my interest in ancients (after a 15 year hiatus). but within the year my wife had to quit her job, bringing our income back to where it had been but leaving me with a serious addiction!

i'm still collecting, but quite a bit slower. but the day will come when our money problems will get better, and then we'll be off and running again, right? right!

~ Peter

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #166 on: April 23, 2011, 10:49:09 pm »
I hear you, things work out the way they are suppose to I imagine. Actually *off topic, but I am introspective at the moment*, I have spent the day phoning relatives and making sure everyone was all right (they are) after the tornado's that rolled through here last night. I can tell you that perspectives are a funny thing. I woke up worrying about financial woes and now it is the farthest thing from my mind. It's amazing what massive destruction a few miles from your front door can do for your general outlook on life!

Chris

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #167 on: April 23, 2011, 11:51:11 pm »
oh dear, i had forgotten that you were in the area. the devastation shown on the news was very scarey, and i hope all of your friends and loved ones are ok.
our recent tangle here with a much depleted tsunami was no much of an event, but i was in SF during the Loma Prieta earthquake in '89 and the feeling of utter helplessness is one i will never forget. nor is the realisation that for all our technology and feelings of superiority we are still just along for the ride when Mother Nature turns ugly.

i'm glad you're alright. the coins can wait (for awhile anyway).

~ Peter

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #168 on: June 11, 2011, 10:28:17 am »
Morning all! It has been a while since I have had enough coins to make an entry (I try to wait until I have at least 5). All are greek bronze, none are FDC, all are interesting (at least to those who are freaks like me and like worn greek bronze!! lol). Three of these I ahve been working a while (bronze disease reclamations), one (the Seleucid) I have had for a while waiting for enough for an entry, and one I got from Andreas for a song (the little Rhodian coin). Included today are:

1 sicilo-punic bronze (BD project) featuring a date palm w/ pegesus rev,
1 tiny coin from Rhodes featuring Rhodos w/ rose rev,
1 pretty nice, thick flanned, Seleucid featuring Alexander II Zabinas w/ corucopia
1 small thracian (this one had some hard core BD otherwise it would be a fantastic coin) featuring a female bust and reclining river god
and 1 larger coin from Bruttium (another BD reclamation project that some of you may have followed on the cleaning board) featuring janiform female heads w/ Asklepios reverse

Enjoy! I may have another entry (including a denarius! lol I know you are saying "What!", but I saw Andreas selling this one and thought I may be able to clean it up a tad...it is turing out pretty good so far) in a week or so depending on my cleaning progress and arrival of a lot I was able to aquire...

Chris 

Offline rover1.3

• Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #169 on: June 11, 2011, 10:32:53 am »
I love both Zabinas and the rose Chris, very nice additions!

Best regards,

rover

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #170 on: June 26, 2011, 09:40:54 am »
Thanks rover! I like them both too! :)

I just have 4 to offer today. Two bronze (one decent, one just OK), a potin tet (cleaning contest coin, turned out pretty good) and 1 denarius that I had to fight off a mm of thick black crud to get to (identifiable)!

Included are:

1 potin tet of Maximianus featuring Homonia, one that I would not have normally sought out, but as this one came to me in the current lot of cleaning contest coins I am working, and it turned out so nice, I have added it to my collection proper
1 scarce-ish denarius of Hadrian featuring Hercules sitting on a cuirass (cheap purchase as it was mostly encased in thick blackness)
1 3rd century pseudo-autonomous from Phrygia featuring Tyche Pathenia (she is a serious deity mash up!)
and 1 nice (also scarce-ish) bronze from Pelinna, Thessaly featuring Mantho

Enjoy
Chris

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #171 on: July 30, 2011, 10:33:58 am »
Morning all! I have not been able to post anything for a bit (not enough coins to post (I try to wait until I have 5)...camera issues...etc), so I am pleased to do so now! :) This entry runs the gambit from a teeny tiny coin from Aeolis, a quick detour to ancient India, and a single LRBC (yeah, I collect them when they are interesting! lol). Enjoy!

included are:

1 worn Ptolemaic featuring the elephant headdress wearing head of Alexander w/standard eagle reverse
1 3rd century ancient Indian drachm of Rudrasena II
1 rare-ish VOT of Constantine I from Thessalonica
1 rare-ish tiny coin from Lesbos, Methymna featuring the helmeted head of Athena w/lyre reverse (even with my new camera this one is hard to photograph!)
and 1 teeny tiny coin from Aeolis, Larissa Phrikonis, featuring a 3/4 facing, horned, female head  w/bull's head reverse which is quickly becoming my favorite coin. This one is so small in hand that it took a decent photo for me to be able to really appreciate it. I am in awe of the die cutters skill!

Chris

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #172 on: August 01, 2011, 06:10:57 am »
Morning all! I have not been able to post anything for a bit (not enough coins to post (I try to wait until I have 5)...camera issues...etc), so I am pleased to do so now! :) This entry runs the gambit from a teeny tiny coin from Aeolis, a quick detour to ancient India, and a single LRBC (yeah, I collect them when they are interesting! lol). Enjoy!

included are:

1 worn Ptolemaic featuring the elephant headdress wearing head of Alexander w/standard eagle reverse
1 3rd century ancient Indian drachm of Rudrasena II
1 rare-ish VOT of Constantine I from Thessalonica
1 rare-ish tiny coin from Lesbos, Methymna featuring the helmeted head of Athena w/lyre reverse (even with my new camera this one is hard to photograph!)
and 1 teeny tiny coin from Aeolis, Larissa Phrikonis, featuring a 3/4 facing, horned, female head  w/bull's head reverse which is quickly becoming my favorite coin. This one is so small in hand that it took a decent photo for me to be able to really appreciate it. I am in awe of the die cutters skill!

Chris

all cool additions, but that last is sweet! I don't like most foward facing busts but that one is great!

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #173 on: August 14, 2011, 02:48:21 pm »
Thanks, Randy! I really like that little coin...as for facing busts, I have one in this entry (well, it's a facing mask, but you get the picture! lol) and a couple more next entry. Maybe you will like them as well. :)

This entry ranges from the Severan's all the way back to Gela, Sicily...a span of about 500 years. as you all know, I am never stuck in one era or on one type! There should be somthing for everyone. (well, everyone who likes worn bronze!  ;D )

Included are (starting at the newest and working back):

1 Severan bronze from Nicopolis Ad Istrum featuring Septimius w/ Domna reverse
1 Marcus Aurelius from Ephesus w/stag reverse
1 Macedonian (under Roman protection) featuring the facing mask of Silenos w/ ethnic in wreath reverse (worn and badly cleaned, but identifiable)
1 bronze from Pergamon featuring the head of Asklepios w/ snake wrapped staff reverse
and (my favorite of this entry)
1 fat bronze litra from Gela, Sicily featuring a ram getting sacrificed w/ horse reverse (a fabulously cheap blurry pic find! I know of at least one other person here will dig it!)

Enjoy!

Chris

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #174 on: August 27, 2011, 10:20:50 am »
Morning all. Another mixed bag entry that includes one unreferenced coin, one that was a suprisingly successful cleaning job, and one extremely obscure thracian. The small coins are turning out to be tough to photograph, but they are not that bad. Enjoy!

Included are:

1 common pontic coin, Aegis and (headless) Nike, not the best strike, but it really illustrates the difficulties they had in making the flans for these guys (striations)
1 nice, but holed, Constantine I from Trier featuring trophy and captives
1 tiny obscure Thracian pain in my buttocks that esnible and Dino finally found an attrib for (helmeted athena and grain ear)
1 tiny AR hemiobol (half an obol) from Caria that was bought uncleaned and severly crusted up that turned out great...to bad my photo does not do it justice!
and 1 seemingly unpublished 3/4 facing female (Kybele?) from Plakia. I have been contacted three times now by collectors of Asia Minor coinage with offers to buy it, so if it is not unpublished it must be mighty scarce!

The Thracian coin and the Plakia were bears to ID. I would like to thank everyone who helped, once again! I really appreciate.

Chris

All coins are guaranteed for eternity