Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Making my own "collection book"  (Read 2029 times)

Offline RomaVictor

• Praetorian
  • Initium Dimidium Facti
Making my own "collection book"
« on: November 11, 2007, 09:28:23 pm »
Hello everyone,

I've been experimenting with coin photography lately and when i found a method which appears to produce nice pictures, i thought: "hey, why don't i make some sort of catalog of my own collection". So i've been busy with Photo Shop this weekend and this is the basis layout of what i had in mind. I still have to add some information such as pagenumber, header etc., but this is the basic thought. What do you think?

Offline rasiel

• Procurator Monetae
  • Praetorian
  • I love this forum!
Re: Making my own "collection book"
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 02:06:28 am »
well, i dunno, i think it's a great idea!

depending on your budget and how much time you want to devote you can make yourself a coffee table book or a working reference. if the former, then "order" is not that important. you can just print out page after page and then bind the loose pages - or just three hole punch them into a binder though this would be a rather cheesy looking alternative.

if you want to make a reference then layout becomes a bigger concern. biggest among these is choosing a format for describing the coins consistently throughout the period you're working with. this helps you, and anyone else who might benefit from using your work, in finding the material easily once they learn your system. if you have or are expecting to produce a work based on an extensive collection you should also choose a method that "compresses" the data so that your book doesn't turn into a mammoth-sized book.

seeing from your prototype my guess is you're going more for the coffee book approach, certainly the less challenging route. still, take it from me, the more you can think and plan aheadon a system that scales well should you decide to make your initial aim more ambitious the better. once you commit to going down one road it's very tedious to have to reinvent the wheel because of some shortcoming you didn't think of earlier on ;-)

ras

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 03:20:38 am »
Actually, very nice, IMHO.  Only, watch your language.  "laureated" won't pass.  The -ate and the -ed duplicate each other, the first from Latin, the second from English.  That formation seriously distracts me from your photography!  Yes, I know you've seen others say it, but don't join their club.
The introduction of just a touch of warmth to the coins is very pretty, and I don't see why you can't have both a serious catalogue AND a nice piece of graphic design at once.  Just be careful that your language doesn't suggest that you are more devoted to the visual than to the scholarly!
I find that anything I do visually with the coins makes me learn them and enjoy them much, much more--even making web pages' links all work, which is real labor, is otherwise very enjoyable.  It wouldn't work so well for folks who don't enjoy it.
Pat L.

Offline Aleph

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 02:34:26 pm »
Very nicely done! I have also considered the same idea and it is on my list of long term goals.  The things I would do differently are more just a matter of personal taste.  I am a fan of coins on facing pages like Dumbarton Oaks late roman coinage and some auction catalogs (I have a New York sale catalog like this).  This keeps the photos grouped together and the catalog listings grouped together.  I like the provenance inclusion as well, but I prefer not to include condition description as this is redundant with the photo.  Comments might aslo be interesting- special features of the coins, why you bought it, how it fits in with the collection...  I personally am very interested in the methodology of how people form collections.  Keep us posted on how it goes!

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 12:26:19 pm »
I like it.  I think it would look better if the attribution weren't set back like it is (with the shadow, etc.), but that's just my personal taste.

NJM

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 12:29:53 pm »
I agree. I prefer not using those special effects.
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity