Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Transition Gordian III/Philippus ?  (Read 2238 times)

Offline Alwin

• Consul
    • parthika.fr
Transition Gordian III/Philippus ?
« on: October 16, 2007, 04:28:51 pm »
I had bought the coin below two years ago and I found that the portrait was not very resembling in the Philippe's usual portrait

Today I discover in Herakles Numismatics this coin, with this explanation :

"Note: The site of Viminacium on the Danube had been occupied by the Celts before the Romans arrived and established a legionary fortress. Early in the reign of Gordian III (238-244) it was upgraded from a city to a colonia and coins were struck there, dated according to the foundation-year of the city.
Gordian III issued coins for years 1-5, and Philip I for years 5-9. The year 5 coins are transitional since the year is shared by both emperors and because on some of Philip's coins (presumably his first issues of year 5) his portrait is merely that of Gordian III, with a slight beard. This often occurred at Roman mints before official portraits (imagios) of the new emperors arrived to guide the engravers. Since Philip succeeded Gordian in February or March, 244, while on the Persian front, and he did not make it back to Rome until July of that year, there is a suitable gap during which the portrait fusion (observed on this coin and, for example, no. 3874 in Sear GICaTV) would have occurred."

What is your opinion on this assertion, have you additional elements to go to this direction ?
I know that this scenario often occurred, but I would like to know more about it on this precise case.
(I have seen also some imperial coins of the end of Gordian's reign where he wears a short beard)
Thank you for your reflexions.
A.C.

Offline scottatlaw

• Praetorian
Re: Transition Gordian III/Philippus ?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 03:17:02 pm »
The author's explanation is basicaly correct.  Not only are Philip's early Viminacium portraits essentialy hybrids of Gordian III's, but the legends are as well (note the use of PIVS FEL).  The hybrid legends and portraits are eventualy corrected in late year 5 at the viminacium mint as is seen in this rare Philip "Dupondius" from Viminacium:

http://www.tantaluscoins.com/coins/24234.php

Note not only is the portrait more in line with what the standard Philip I portrait is, but also, the legend has been modified to read "IMP M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG".

Interestingly enough, after Trajan Decius was proclaimed, and wrestled controll of Viminacium away from the Philips, his year 11 coins all have a hybrid portrait that is realy just a narrowed version of Philip I's portrait.

Offline Alwin

• Consul
    • parthika.fr
Re: Transition Gordian III/Philippus ?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 04:38:34 pm »
Thank you infinitely Scottatlaw for this very interesting answer.
I was really inattentive not to have seen that the legend also was inspired by Gordian's coins.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity