Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A new sestertius of Antoninus Pius?  (Read 1879 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
A new sestertius of Antoninus Pius?
« on: September 29, 2007, 07:38:29 pm »
Hi!

A friend of the German Forum has asked for the attached sestertius of Antoninus Pius. It is not listed in RIC. But I found it in BMC IV, p.179 without a number:
Obv. ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP, Head of Antoninus, lareate, r.
Rev. Securitas seated l., holding sceptre in l. hand and resting head in l., SECVRITAS COS II SC.
Below is the following note: Strack, No.770. Should rev. read SECVRITAS AVG COS II SC?

I think this means, that Mattingly hadn't this coin in hand and doubts the legend Strack has reported. Then this coin proofs that Strack was right!

Am I correct?

Best regards

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: A new sestertius of Antoninus Pius?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 01:57:19 am »
Jochen's explanation is correct.

Strack saw the coin in the stock of the Paris coin dealer Feuardent, so Mattingly had certainly not seen a specimen!

One thing I have to look into: is the legend SECVRITAS alone on coins, not followed by AVG or IMPERI or P R, so unusual that Mattingly was justified to propose a correction to SECVRITAS AVG?

By chance, I acquired a specimen of this sestertius myself about a year ago.  Unfortunately it is worn; on rev. [CO]S II can be made out faintly in exergue, but [SECVRITAS] is illegible.

My specimen is from different dies than the one shown by Jochen, and its rev. type varies in two small details.  My coin shows a strut between the legs of Securitas' throne, omitted on Jochen's specimen.  On Jochen's coin Securitas seems to be supporting her head with her l. hand; on mine her l. hand is much farther from her head, as though she were perhaps drawing up her drapery.  However, the gesture of supporting head in hand is typical of Securitas, so that is probably what was meant on my coin too.
Curtis Clay

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 11:23:56 am »
According to Cohen's index of rev. legends, the legend SECVRITAS alone occurs only one other time on Roman coins, namely on the bronze medallion of Diva Faustina I, Cohen 277. 

Otherwise, SECVRITAS in coin legends is always further modified, by AVG, IMPERI, or P R as I said, or also by IMP GERMAN (=Vitellius), ORBIS, PERPETVA, PVBLICA, REIPVBLICAE, ROMAE, or TEMPORVM.

So Mattingly was right to feel that SECVRITAS alone on this sestertius was unusual.  But that feeling didn't justify his proposed correction of the legend reported by the meticulous Strack, and Durmius' new specimen shows, as Jochen notes, that Strack's reading was in fact correct!
Curtis Clay

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 01:15:11 pm »
Curtis, your point about Securitas's hand is interesting (to me, anyway!).  On your specimen, the wrist is flexed in a way that would not allow the head to rest on the hand.  I am sure you are right to infer from the type that the engraver should have shown the head resting on the hand, with the arm resting on the top of the chair - supposedly a relaxed pose, though often made to look a bit uncomfortable - but I don't think he did.  He made a mistake.

Bill Welch
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

melkart

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 12:09:26 pm »

All coins are guaranteed for eternity