Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Stupid Coin Storage Question  (Read 2654 times)

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
Stupid Coin Storage Question
« on: September 24, 2007, 12:32:50 pm »
I just got a new cigar humidor.  Was thinking of using the old humidor as an attractive box for coin storage.  I can replace the humidifying sponge with a dessicant that would keep the box nice and dry.

Here's my goofy question though.  I've used the box for cigar storage for some time now and it really has a wonderful, yet strong cigar smell  (not cigar smoke smell) when I open the lid.

Any reason to think that those fumes will damage the coins in amy way?

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: Stupid Coin Storage Question
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 11:56:31 pm »
Air it out for a month and see if it still smells.  I really don't know if the vapors left by the cigar will hurt the coins.  I do know that some woods can hard coins because they are slightly acidic.

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 09:21:44 am »
I don't know about "raw" cigar vapours either, but I do know that cigar smoke is substantially more acidic than cigarette smoke, so I'm guessing that the unlit tobacco, and it's associated vapours may also be  ???

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 10:28:58 am »
Hi mwilson603!

I'm a cigar aficionado since many years. And if I'm not wrong the smoke of cigars is not acid but alkaline! That is the reason why inhalation of cigar smoke hurts but smoke from cigarettes does not. The bronchial epithelial system is acid and therefore the reaction with the alkaline cigar smoke - if you inhale it - leads to neutralisation, destroys the epithelion and causes pain. 

Best regards

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 03:00:11 pm »
Jochen, I always bring as many Romeo Y Julieta back with me as I can from Cuba whenever I go, and thoroughly enjoy them when I play my weekly poker match.  In fact I went a little too far this time and brought back about 150 Cedros No 1 and 2s, which my humidor is too small for  :(  As they are tubeless I guess I will just have to enjoy them a little quicker than I expected  ;D  They are Cedar wrapped though so I'm not panicking yet.

With regards to your point, there is a little debate over actual ph levels in cigars but one of the bigger clinical tests done recently, of which an abstract is available here http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a718863875~db=all , states that

"The smoke pH values of the smallest cigars was generally acidic, changed little across puffs, and more closely resembled the profiles previously reported for typical cigarettes. Interestingly, the smoke pH of smaller cigars and cigarillos became acidic after the first third of the cigar was consumed and then remained acidic thereafter, whereas larger cigars became acidic during the first third, then became quite alkaline during the last third."

So I guess we are both right smoke-wise   :) Although I don't tend to smoke the whole of the last third of my cigars.

But interestingly "The aqueous pH of the tobacco from the cigars also varied widely with values ranging from 5.7 to 7.8"  That indicates to me that the average non-smoked tobacco appears to be more often acidic than not.  As a humidor should be kept at a humidity level of between 60 and 80%, there would be enough water vapour to absorb the acidity and transfer that to whatever wood the humidor is made from.  (Usually cedar, but obviously can vary) 

So to summarise again, I would not risk acidic vapours having seeped out of the tobacco and into my humidor, but that is just my opinion.  :)

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 05:49:10 pm »
I prefer Churchills from Romeo Y Julieta and because I live near to Switzerland I buy them in Schaffhausen or Basel. There they cost nearly half as much as in Germany!

Best regards

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 06:21:10 pm »
I prefer Churchills from Romeo Y Julieta and because I live near to Switzerland I buy them in Schaffhausen or Basel. There they cost nearly half as much as in Germany!

Hmmm, might be worth me getting them from Switzerland too.  It's got to be quicker and cheaper than going to Cuba   :)  Althought the sun, rum and amazing people do balance out the time and cost somewhat  ;)

I was going to bring back some Churchills, but believe it or not the actual Romeo Y Julieta factory shop in Havana had none in stock.  I cut a deal on the No 1s instead, and got them for about 4 Euros each, so I wasn't too disappointed  ;D

regards

Mark

Metrodorus

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 11:26:02 am »
I asked the same question earlier in january. I bought one at a flea market in Manhattan for $5. I felt it would be a nice coin cabinet-once I fixed it up. Of course I only got around to sanding off the old varnish-it was scratched and everything. Now I just use it to store stamps, as I have earlier bought my very own coin case in May of this year.

Metrodorus

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 11:29:05 am »
Of course there's always a chance where I could use the box and finnish converting it into a cabinet.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 12:37:12 pm »
I bought 3 very nice cigar boxes (H. Upmann, so even a good brand) for €3 (less than $5) each.
I would have paid a lot more and I think the seller noticed afterwards.
One is now for coins I'm selling another I'm using for drills, one more for unused flips.
I love that smell of cedarwood.
Andreas Reich

Douglas

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 10:52:42 pm »
More than the cigar smell, you want to see if the Spanish Cedar, which is likely what yours is lined with, is bad for coins. I'd imagine not, but it's worth looking into. Many cigar smokers don't realize what part Spanish Cedar plays in the flavor they savor.

Offline Bill S

• Praetorian
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 09:43:14 am »
Why not set up a pH meter in the humidor and see if it registers anything?  And if there does appear to be some acidity, would placing a jar of ammonia in the humidor for a couple days neutralize it?  If the humidor is made of cedar, then it will have aromatic oils that could potentially affect coins.  But perhaps the wood inner surfaces of the humidor could be sealed with a polyurethane varnish?  Sealing absorbant surfaces might resolve some of the other concerns as well.

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 11:08:19 am »
Why not set up a pH meter in the humidor and see if it registers anything?  And if there does appear to be some acidity, would placing a jar of ammonia in the humidor for a couple days neutralize it?  If the humidor is made of cedar, then it will have aromatic oils that could potentially affect coins.  But perhaps the wood inner surfaces of the humidor could be sealed with a polyurethane varnish?  Sealing absorbant surfaces might resolve some of the other concerns as well.
I like the idea of testing it, makes really good sense.  But if a pH meter did register anything, and it was my humidor, I would be loathe to paint it with anything.  Humidors are not usually cheap and that would virtually prevent re-use ever as a humidor.  It would surely be more prudent to buy a cheap box :)

More than the cigar smell, you want to see if the Spanish Cedar, which is likely what yours is lined with, is bad for coins. I'd imagine not, but it's worth looking into.
Good idea as well Doug.  There are probably many woods, aromatic and otherwise that may well have a detrimental effect on old metal if left in close contact.  I've got a little sandalwood box that I sometimes put cleaned coins into before attributing and flipping, and I had never thought about it.  I'm getting very paranoid about it now though!  :(

All coins are guaranteed for eternity