Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Photography with numeric reflex  (Read 1687 times)

Offline frederic W

• Consul
  • A belgian in France
    • Monnaies de l'antiquite
Photography with numeric reflex
« on: September 04, 2007, 05:35:45 am »
I use :

Numeric reflex camera : Nikon D70
Flash without connection : Nikon SB-800 (the Camera's integrated flash command the other flash that i hold in my hand)
Lens : Nikkor micro 105mm f2.8 (macrophotography)
Tripod

With the external  flash, I shoot the eye of the portrait, I hold the flash in the same distance from the coin than the lens. Usually, if you consider the coin like a clock, and for a portrait right, I place the flash at about 1 o'clock (between 1 and 2). For portrait left about 11 o' clock. Important : Do not use special macrophotography flashes, because you will not have any shadow and we need a little bit of.

Camera setting :
aperture priority : f 16 (you can try 11 to 32 too, but 16 is good !)
external flash
white balance : automatic

I take the picture in RAW (not yet processed) and after with the computer I correct the white balance and then i convert in Jpeg :

Left : White balance automatic, Right : manually corrected white balance with "Nikon Capture"

The RAW files are much better for all the post-settings and allow to set the white balance after doing the picture. That allow to do a great exposure compensation too, much better than with jpeg files and with nearly any lost of quality. To do the white balance you use a special software, and you have just to show to the software where is the white or grey to use as reference on the picture (I use a white page as background so I select the backgroud for the white balance).

Here is the final result :

With the 105 micro lens you can zoom until this point :

Douglas

Re: Photography with numeric reflex
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 04:19:34 pm »
I've done something similar with my D80 and SB600 flash, but not with your results. I don't have a dedicated macro lens, and perhaps that will be in my future. I just bought the 18-200mm lens, so the camera budget is broken for now. Fortunately as Nikon has provided the ability to wirelessly fire the flash for free. Quite a nice feature.

Something you might consider, and what I use for night photography, and most times I use the tripod, is the wireless remote. It is very cheap (under 20 USD), and it keeps your hand off of the camera avoiding any shake at all.

Very nice photos, and I think I'll be experimenting with RAW mode in the future. I already own Nikon Capture NX, so software won't be a problem.

Offline frederic W

• Consul
  • A belgian in France
    • Monnaies de l'antiquite
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 04:39:33 pm »
Thanks, I'm happy if I can help you. I have the remote controler but it's not very useful in that case because of the 1/60e and tripod.

Be sure that RAW is very useful, try it is never leave it. I take all my pictures in raw now even if that's not coins pictures !

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 04:55:16 pm »
I use the wireless remote almost always when using the tripod. 1/60th is not really super fast, and by using the remote you easily eliminate any potential for camera shake when pressing the shutter release. Cheap and easy insurance I say. The more I keep my hands off the camera the better. Plus it gives you more flexibility by allowing you to shoot with a more open lens.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity