Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tyche Euposia  (Read 2607 times)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Tyche Euposia
« on: August 20, 2007, 01:16:36 am »
She used to be so rare.  Now, however, Bacchus and I both have exquisite ones for Diadumenian, I have a remarkably hyperactive one for Caracalla (period of Quintilian at Marcianopolis), and I just found that a coin that only a collector of these could love is for Diadumenian's father, Macrinus.  Not in great condition, not so fetching as the little boy's, both issued by Longinus at Nicopolis but each from its own die.  Matching but not same dies are actually more frequent I find than shared dies.  Were they minting so many that they needed a die apiece, or...?
Tyche Euposia is a personification rather like Eirene; for both the infant evidently embodies the fertile fortune that she brings.
I promise the whole web page in about a fortnight.  For the moment, here's the additional Euposia.  Not in Pcik.
Pat L.

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
Re: Tyche Euposia
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 03:33:04 am »
I seem to have picked up a couple of these and I know that Andreas has one as well - so the Diadumenian ones seem to be quite common.   But that does not make them less interesting of course.   Different reverse dies (with the Macrinus one) I note too.

Malcolm

leemjvd

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 06:08:53 am »
I hope you will all forgive my ignorance, but in what does Tyche differ from Tyche Euposia ? This opens a brand new hunt for me .... :-)

Thanks & Best Regards
Hope yr summer is better than ours in NL !
Michael van der Lee

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 07:13:25 am »
hi Michael,

check out this thread

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=34098.0

and - I highly doubt it but it always rains here so it is really no difference  :)

Malcolm

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 05:57:49 pm »
Hi!

To complete the numbers of types depicting Tyche Euposia I want to show a coin of Elagabal from Nikopolis which is new for this thread:

Moesia inferior, Nikopolis ad Istrum, Elagabal, AD 218-222
AE 27, 11.07g
struck under legate Nobius Rufus
obv. AVT KM AVRH - [...]
Head, laureate, r.
rev. VP NOBIOV ROVFOV NI - KOPOLITON PROC IC[T]
       in l. and r. field RO - N
       Tyche, wearing double chiton and mural-crown, stg. facing, head l., holding rudder in r.
       hand and cornucopiae in l. arm, on whose lower part std. a small child l.
This type is not listed in AMNG. AMNG 1972 has a different legend break on the rev. , OV - NIKO instead of NI - KOP, different letters in the field, R - N instead of RO - N,  and a different bust!
Varbanov (engl.) 4090 looks similar. But the small child isn't mentioned in both sources.

The other two coins are the well known Diadumenian types AMNG I/1, 1868 but with different legend breaks. Whereas the better coin has N - IKO, the green one has NI - KO. But I think Plutos could clearly be seen on the green one!

Best regards

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 03:10:42 am »
Thank you!  The link will go right into the web page.  Pat L.
Also the position of the right arm of Tyche is different.  That they are both used with the same obv. die is valuable data, even if only a grain of sand.  The green one seems to be the s.d.a. for Macrinus, at top of thread; unfortunately these two specimens are very hard to decipher.  P.S. No, pulling up a separate image of the Macrinus shows that the right arms, again, and the tilt of the shoulders are different.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity