Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Canon G7 Coin Pictures and Setup  (Read 1531 times)

millimoo

Canon G7 Coin Pictures and Setup
« on: August 02, 2007, 09:52:46 am »
My Canon A80 took it's last pictures a few weeks ago, and departed for camera heaven after giving many years of loyal service.   :(

Oh well - time for a new camera!   ;)

After a little searching, I opted for the Canon G7, it cost a little more than I wanted to pay, but had some features that I thought would be very useful, specifically:
* 10 Megapixal
* Macro to 1cm
* 2 custom modes, where you can set the camera up and save the settings

I set the C1 (custom 1) button up and saved as follows:
* Flash off
* Self time 2 seconds - the delay stops any camera as my hands are away from the camera
* Centre point focus
* Auto White balance
* Auto bracketing +/- 1/2 a stop

The camera is mounted on a small copy stand, the coin stands on a small metal block, stood on a small light box.  I set the camera to C2, put the coin carefully on the block and 1 click, generating 3 pictures.

I tend to use natural light when I can, but have a daylight bulb in a small bendy lamp for really dull days.

I think the results are ok - I've seen a lot better, but for quick pictures, I think the camera is great!

Dave  :)

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
Re: Canon G7 Coin Pictures and Setup
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 11:07:10 am »
I would say it is doing fine! The center photo is great, I would try to balance the light on the lower half of the coin so it is more light the top half. If you don't you risk "burning out" the top while getting good contrast on the lower portion. A small reflector to bounce the light back towards the bottom half would do.

Bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

millimoo

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 08:34:57 am »
Thanks Bruce,
I'll have a go at making a reflector from something - may be a white lamp shade, or the inside of a bottle! ;)
Dave

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 12:07:42 pm »
A sheet of white paper makes a fine reflector - you can try out various sizes and positions very cheaply, and then make one from white card (which will stand in place) once you are happy.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 08:53:07 pm »
Also, my only suggestion, is that the pinkness you have, evident to anyone not having red-green color blindness, is unreal and needs you to make a white balance setting for your own set-up.  Since you like to use natural light, but someitmes do add some artiificial light (say, during a stormy day), you probably should re-set your white balance within your Set 1 or Set 2 (whichever one you use for coins with that nice Gepe copy stand--which I so cheaply only imitate with my white glass baking dish and glass), for each occasion of coin photography.  The Auto White Balance can suffice for times of day and changes no more extreme that that.
Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity