Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ?Tiberius and Livia  (Read 3150 times)

Offline Marjan E

• Praetorian
?Tiberius and Livia
« on: July 11, 2007, 02:19:46 am »
Hello all :)

I recently won this coin at auction.  The seller said it was Tiberius and Livia (it has an interesting countermark), but I have not been able to find a similar coin on wildwinds or coin archives.  On most of the coins where the two appear together, the head of Tiberius is facing the other way.  There is not much inscription to go on.  The seller gave this additional information: . Minted in Augusta, Cilicia.  The coin lists as a variant of S.322.  (I'm not familiar with this mint)

I would appreciate any help you can give me with this.  Many thanks.

Marjan

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: ?Tiberius and Livia
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 10:39:28 am »
There's a left-facing Tiberius / right-facing Livia from Mitylene in Lesbos, but your coin's actually this one from Mopsus, Cilicia (RPC 1.4049, Augustus -- inconspicuously radiate -- and Livia, description from Isegrim):

PRO: CILICIA PEDIAS
PO : MOPSUS
PZ : Between 14 and 37 
 Obverse
VSG: T'EOS SEB.. MOP''EATWN ..
VT : PORTRAIT MAN L / AUGUSTUS
VA : RADIATE
 Reverse
RSG: T'EA SEBASTH MOP''EATWN
RT : PORTRAIT WOMAN R / LIVIA
RA : BUN / CLOTHES
 Technical details
M  : AE
GR : 26(1)
GEW: 11.84(1)
 Bibliographical references
ZIT: RPC I 4049(1) / AULOCK AA 1963 20(1) / COLL ANS(1)
 Additional remarks
FR : VS: T'EOS SEB.. MOP''EATWN RS: T'EA SEBASTH MO<P''EATWN> 
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline Marjan E

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 01:07:09 pm »
Many thanks Archivum! :)

I appreciate this information.  I'm really bad at reading inscriptions and this one had very little to go on.

Marjan

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Weeding Entries With Isegrim (Re: ?Tiberius and Livia)
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 02:31:25 pm »
-- The inscriptions on this coin certainly aren't that legible, though what's left on the flip-side (THEA CEBAC ...) helps clinch the ID with the RPC specimen I noted.   For your interest, here's how I wound up there:

Isegrim search #1: vt: Tiberius rt: Livia  -- This turned up the Mytilene coin, bun-haired Livia and all, but a quick check in Lindgren excluded it.  So I thought I would search what is mainly unusual about your coin, i. e. a left-facing male portrait along with a right-facing female portraitSearch #1 showed how Isegrim wants those described, and so on to

Isegrim search #2: vt: portrait man l rt: portrait woman r -- This turned up just nine coins, eight of which could be promptly eliminated.

So for all its quirks, Isegrim is close to unbeatable for all Asia Minor ID's; here's a hasty how-to in case it's of assistance:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=44094.msg276771#msg276771
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline Marjan E

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 04:39:52 pm »
Muchas gracias! :D

I'm going to try it.  I really like some provincial coins.  They have such interesting variety.

Thanks again Archivum

Marjan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity