Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A new sestertius obv. die of Elagabalus with "horn"  (Read 13755 times)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
A new sestertius obv. die of Elagabalus with "horn"
« on: June 23, 2007, 02:10:00 pm »
My plaster cast collection of Elagabalus sestertii is far from complete, but does cover several major collections: Vienna, the BM, Oxford, Cambridge, the ANS, plus any coins seen in trade or in private collections over the past thirty-five years or so.  Missing are Paris, Berlin, Rome, Naples, Bologna, Glasgow and many other public collections, nor am I here taking account of the many published images of Elagabalus sestertii in museum or auction catalogues, other printed sources, and the internet.

Previously I had casts of 28 sestertii of E. with the "horn" attached to the laurel wreath of the portrait, all coming from five obv. dies represented by the following numbers of specimens: 6, 4, 8, 6, 4. 

That was beginning to look like a complete coverage of all sestertius obv. dies of this variety, but a recent acquisition of mine, shown below, brings a new, sixth, obv. die of the type, with rev. cos iii p p' target='_blank'>P M TR P IIII COS III P P S - C, Emperor in Syrian priestly dress holding patera over lighted and garlanded altar, "club" in l. hand, no slain bull by altar, no star in field, 25.47 gr., 11h.

The rev. of my coin is slightly doublestruck across the middle, shortening the intended height of both the emperor and the altar and partially eliminating the M of P M, the first P of P P, and the S of S - C.  The second coin below, recently sold by Richard Beale, is a clean strike from the same rev. die, though on an undersize flan with legend loss at left and above.
Curtis Clay

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: A new sestertius obv. die of Elagabalus with "horn"
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 04:44:57 pm »
Richard's coin, since its obv. die omits the "horn", seems to be a mule struck in 222 AD (TR P V COS IIII) from an old rev. die surviving from 221 (TR P IIII COS III).

On denarii, it is clear that the "horn" was introduced in 221 at the same time as the four rev. types showing the emperor in Syrian priestly dress sacrificing to his sun-god Elagabalus, and that it was the standard obv. type until sometime early in the next year, TR P V=222, when it was eliminated until the end of the reign a month or two later, in March 222. 

Elke Krengel, in an article on the "horn" of Elagabalus published in 1997, plausibly suggested that this elimination of the offensive "horn", clearly a cult decoration connected with the Syrian cult of the god Elagabalus, was one of the moderations forced upon Elagabalus in order to save his own skin, when he was detected by the Praetorians in a plot to assassinate his cousin Severus Alexander, whom he had made Caesar!  Dio Cassius says that when Elagabalus, whom he calls "Sardanapalus", tried to destroy Alexander for the first time, "he not only accomplished nothing, but came near being killed himself," since the Praetorians "raised a terrible tumult, and did not stop rioting until Sardanapalus, accompanied by Alexander, came to the camp, poured out his supplications, and under compulsion surrendered such of his companions in lewdness as the soldiers demanded."  It was Elagabalus' second attempt to slay Alexander, a month or two later, which led to his own assassination by the Praetorians in March 222.

Virtually all TR P IIII denarii with the sacrifice type show the "horn" on obv., as do a considerable number of denarii with TR  P V, whereas others with TR P V, apparently the latest coins of the reign, omit the "horn".  There are, indeed, a few TR P IIII sacrifice denarii without the "horn", but these coins are so rare and come from so few rev. dies that they are easily explained as mules struck after the elimination of the "horn" in early 222 from a few old rev. dies of 221 that had inadvertantly remained in use.

On sestertii, I have casts of 26 bearded coins without the "horn", Richard's coin being a 27th, coming from five obv. dies, and coupled with the following rev. dies:

TR P IIII Sacrifice, five rev. dies, three of which, including the die of Richard's coin, I also know combined with "horned" obv. dies.

TR P V Sacrifice, two rev. dies, one also known to me in combination with a "horned" obv. die.

INVICTVS SACERDOS AVG Sacrifice, one rev. die, also known to me in combination with "horned" obv. dies.

SACERD DEI SOLIS ELAGAB Sacrifice l., the only rev. die of this type, also known to me in combination with "horned" obv. dies.  On denarii this was a scarce initial type variant, certainly confined to a couple of weeks in c. summer 221, soon superseded by a Sacrificing right type with the same legend.

LIBERTAS AVG, Libertas standing holding cap and cornucopia, two rev. dies.  On sestertii as on denarii, this type only occurs with "hornless" obverses, so was evidently one of the very latest types of the reign.

At first sight, it might appear that on sestertii "hornless" obverses were introduced alongside "horned" obverses in 221, explaining their use with five TR P IIII Sacrifice rev. dies and the early SACERD DEI SOLIS ELAGAB type, but that they then outlasted the "horned" obverses in 222, explaining their exclusive combination with the LIBERTAS AVG type.

More likely, however, is that as on denarii, so on sestertii too the "horn" was only omitted from the obv. dies early in 222.  Those five TR P IIII Sacrifice rev. dies had merely survived from 221, and were erroneously coupled with the new "hornless" obverses in 222; ditto the early SACERD DEI SOLIS ELAGAB rev. die, whose reuse in 222 need not however be termed "incorrect".  We have seen that on denarii too a couple of TR P IIII Sacrifice dies apparently survived into 222 when they were coupled with "unhorned" obverses.  An As of Elagabalus in Klosterneuberg Monastery provides a certain case of a rev. die of 221 erroneously remaining in use in 222: its rev. was struck twice with two rev. dies that were apparently in rapid alternate use with the same obv. die; one of these rev. dies was dated TR P IIII, but the other TR P V, and the TR P IIII die was struck OVER the TR P V die!

Curtis Clay

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 06:57:14 pm »
P.S.  Here is the "before" state of my sestertius, which again took hours and hours of laborious cleaning with the scalpel under my binocular microscope!
Curtis Clay

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
    • Coins of the Severan Dynasty at Stobi
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 07:14:44 pm »
Wow, I think Curtis ought to enter the Never-Ending-Uncleaned Coin contest!
If you watch long enough, even a treefrog is interesting.  Umberto Eco
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10349

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 07:54:01 pm »
This is the kind of stuff I love to read about!

A historical event that might explain a variation in a coin series. This makes me want to reread my Historia Augusta.

Thanks for sharing an excellent coin as well.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 11:52:38 am »
Here is another muled specimen, without "horn" which should mean 222, but coupled with an old rev. die of 221, from the collection of Heather Howard, shown on her website Aeqvitas.

This is a new rev. die in this issue among my casts, but again one that I know combined with two "HORNED" obv. dies.  So in the issue of sestertii without "horn", I now know of the careless reuse no fewer than six old rev. dies of the preceding year (TR P IIII), four of which are in fact also known to me coupled with proper "horned" obv. dies.

Generally we expect the dates on Roman imperial coins to be accurate, and there is evidence to support this expectation, in particular quite a few cases where the dates in a die were advanced by recutting, obviously to bring them up to date.

The reuse of Elagabalus' TR P IIII sestertius dies in TR P V shows that sometimes practicality apparently won out over accuracy: coins were needed, the old dies were still available, it was a bother and awkward to re-engrave their dates (IIII into V creates an eyesore!), and would anyone really mind if coins struck in 222 were still dated 221?

I much prefer this hypothesis, the reuse of rev. dies dated 221 in 222, to the other possibility, that the dates are correct and that "hornless" portraits were therefore introduced several months earlier on sestertii than on denarii.

I believe similar cases are known from the early history of the U.S. mint, when for example coins were struck in 1804 using old dies dated 1803, though in other cases old dies were made current by repunching the dates (overdates), again as at the Roman mint.

Curtis Clay

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 04:21:52 pm »
Heather H. even has a second specimen of the same mule, from a different obv. die and a variant rev. with bull by altar (doublestruck) and star in r. field, formerly in my collection, from the same dies as BMC 443.

Judging from the denarii, star behind the emperor was an early engraver's error, of mid-221, since the star represents the sun-god Elagabalus so belongs BEFORE the emperor, above the altar, in such a sacrifice type!  On many denarius dies a star wrongly placed behind the emperor was eradicated in the die and re-engraved before him.  I do not yet know this rev. die combined with a "horned" obverse.
Curtis Clay

Scipio Helveticus

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 04:41:30 pm »
Curtis, I am curious to know what the horn represented. Was it meant to be a symbol of power or divinity, and did its subsequent omission represent a rejection of that divine status, perhaps as a gesture of humillity to calm popular discontent?

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 02:07:44 am »
Since the "horn" appears only for Elagabalus, and was introduced in 221 precisely with the four reverse types showing the emperor in Syrian priestly dress sacrificing to his god, obviously it was connected with that cult, and Elagabalus' wearing it characterized him as the high priest of the cult, SACERD DEI SOLIS ELAGAB as one of the rev. types states, "Priest of the Sun-God Elagabalus."

Characterizing the emperor as high priest of a foreign cult in his obv. portrait must have offended many traditional Romans, so eliminating the horn in 222 is understandable as a concession to popular opinion after the failed first attempt to assassinate Sev. Alex.

We don't know exactly what the "horn" was or what it symbolized.  E. Krengel proposed it was a bull's sexual organ, but I'm not convinced!
Curtis Clay

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 06:22:22 pm »
Two interesting facts from the "history of the question":

1. NO NUMISMATIST seems to have noticed the "horn'' or attempted to explain it before Cohen in vol. 3 of the first edition of his famous catalogue of Roman Imperial coins, Paris 1860, p. 519 note and p. 512 (= 2nd ed., vol. 4, p. 329 note and p. 321).  Cohen described the rare variant of the INVICTVS SACERDOS AVG type on denarii showing what appears to be a Phrygian cap on the ground behind the sacrificing emperor.  He identified, surely wrongly, this cap with the "horn" frequently added to the obv. portraits of Elagabalus, and thought they both represented a horn, a symbol of power, like the horn of Jupiter Ammon which was also added to portraits of Alexander the Great, Demetrius Poliorcetes, and Lysimachus I.  Checking Eckhel and a number of other older numismatic works in my library, I found that Cohen was apparently correct to say that the "horn" on E's portrait had been passed over in silence by all earlier numismatists.  So we owe Cohen the first observation of this curious appendage to E's portrait, and also its incorrect identification as a "horn", the term usually used to refer to it even today!

2. That the appendage cannot be a horn, and is different from the cap-like object in the rare INVICTVS SACERDOS AVG type, was pointed out by Dressel in his excellent book on the Roman medallions in Berlin, written before his death in 1920 but not published until 1973, p. 186, note 1.  Dressel cautiously noted that the appendage might have a connection to the cult of Elagabalus, since it is almost always coupled with reverses showing the emperor sacrificing to his god; perhaps, he said, it represents one of the amulets or jewels that, according to Herodian and the vita, Elagabalus wore in connection with the cult.  As far as I am aware no real progress has been made in the correct identification of the "horn" since Dressel's comments: we can be a bit more positive that it must have had a connection to the cult of Elagabalus, but we don't know exactly what it was.
Curtis Clay

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • All Elagabalus provincials to me, please! :)
    • Aeqvitas.com
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 08:56:06 am »
On the other thread, I posted the pictures supporting the theory that the 'horn' was a bull's 'appendage' - I'm not convinced either, but the pictures are amusing nonetheless. :)

Ahh, here they are..

http://aeqvitas.com/elagart1.jpg

http://aeqvitas.com/elagart2.jpg

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 04:30:14 pm »
Dear members!

The suggestion that the 'horn' belongs to a bull's abdomen is obviously very fascinating. Here is the source: "Elke Krengel: Das sogenannte "Horn" des Elagabal - eine Umdeutung als Ergebnis fachübergreifender Forschung, Jahrbuch für Numismatik und Geldgeschichte (JNG) Nr.47 (1997), S.53-72'.

Possibly more interesting can be the fact that there should be a sufficient refutation of Krengel's hypothesis by Wolfram Weiser in "Elagabal mit Stierpenis-Hütchen - Animalphallokrat oder Weichteil-Wolpertinger?, Geldgeschichtliche Nachrichten (GN) Nr.196 (2000), S. 53-56".

Sorry, I don't have these articles, but hope to get them soon.

An article which deals with Krengel's hypothesis in a more mocking way you can find here http://www.archaeologie-sachbuch.de/Fleischer/index1.htm?/Fleischer/Texte/Schumacher1.htm

Best regards

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 04:45:04 pm »
Let us follow the German authors in showing the bull some respect, by calling his membrum virile by a name no more euphemistic than the Latin generic term.  After all, the only word we can't use here is the nickname for Richard (whether the Lion-Hearted or Nixon).  The poor creature is not to blame for having one!  Pat L.

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 06:11:39 am »
Hi!

Sometimes coins of Elagabal with sacrificing rev. show the emperor on the rev. with a 'horn' too. Here f.e. RIC 146 SVMMVS SACERDOS AVG. The difference to the obv. 'horn' is the position: steep upwards whereas the obv. 'horn' is bend forwards.

Are these two 'horns' the same object? The obv. 'horn' bend forwards perhaps by reasons of the die shape? Or is the rev. 'horn' only an accidental variety? RIC146 doesn't show always this 'horn' but mostly not as I have seen by browsing the usual websites!

Any opinion highly welcomed!

Best regards 

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 11:40:32 am »
E. Krengel made the same suggestion, that the Emperor-sacrificing reverses sometimes also show the "horn" attached to his laurel wreath.

We would certainly EXPECT to find the horn depicted on the rev. too, for if it is associated with the Syrian cult, then the emperor ought to have worn it while rendering sacrifice to his god!

However, I am unaware of any INDISPUTABLE depiction of the "horn" on a reverse die.  All supposed "horns" on rev. dies could just be exaggerated top leaves of the emperor's laurel wreath.  On the reverse, even on the larger and more carefully rendered aureus, middle-bronze, and sestertius dies, there is never a clear distinction between the laurel wreath and the "horn", whereas the obverse dies ALWAYS make this distinction!  Rev. dies never show a "horn" attached at an angle to the top laurel leaf and extending horizontally above the emperor's head as on the obverses, and while this COULD just be an inaccurate depiction forced upon the obverse dies by constraints of space, as Jochen suggests, nevertheless the failure to employ the same convention on reverse dies prevents us from clearly recognizing the horn there!
Curtis Clay

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 11:36:37 am »
Taking the argument a step further, it seems clear that the three TR P IIII sestertius rev. dies illustrated above, those of R. Beale's former specimen and the two coins belonging to Heather Howard, do NOT depict the sacrificing emperor wearing the "horn", but just a laurel wreath.  On all three dies there is clearly no extension, either vertically or horizontally, of the uppermost leaf of the wreath.

The conclusion must be that the sacrificing emperor was NOT meant to be depicted wearing the "horn", so it is just an exaggerated laurel wreath that extends upwards from his head on some denarius rev. dies.  If the "horn" was intended, it would have been rendered clearly on ALL dies, especially on the larger and more carefully engraved dies for bronze coins and aurei.
Curtis Clay

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 05:27:54 pm »
In which case, one might postulate that the horn was used in some distinctive way, that did not involve sacrifice?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 05:35:54 pm »
I just had another, perhaps more plausible idea. A lot of these sestertii identify Ela on the reverse as Pontifex Maximus, and thus show him in his role as a Roman priest. The obverses show him as high priest of Elagabal, thus combining both roles in one coin.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 06:04:00 pm »
No: as pointed out by Dressel, the sacrificing emperor is wearing Syrian priestly dress, characterized by tight sleeves and a large circular clasp fastening the drapery around his waist (see Heather's light-green beauty above!).

The curious "club" he often holds is also clearly not part of Roman ritual, ditto the "Phrygian cap" sometimes shown in the INVICTVS SACERDOS AVG type.  And to eliminate any lingering doubt, read the descriptive legends of the same type, struck simultaneously with the dated legend:  "Priest of the Sun-God Elagabalus", "The Emperor, Unconquered Priest", "The Emperor, Highest Priest."  Not Pontifex Maximus, but Summus or Invictus Sacerdos!

Wearing a wreath while sacrificing is also not the Graeco-Roman rite, I think: sacrifices should be performed bare-headed and with a fold of the toga pulled over the head and neck.  So Elagabalus being wreathed while sacrificing may also belong to the Syrian ritual of his god. 

The "horn", however, was apparently NOT worn while sacrificing to this sun god, as you correctly deduce from its absence on the sestertius rev. dies.
Curtis Clay

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 05:47:45 pm »
Hi!

Now I got the article from Wolfram Weiser against Elke Kringel's hypothesis that Elagabal's 'horn' should be a bull's phallus, and I want to add an overview here.

This should not and can't be a decision in the discussion about the meaning of Elagabal's horn. I'm in no way a specialist for that. But the arguments which we find in Weiser's article are from general value and therefore worth to be discussed!

As many of us know Elke Kringel in cooperation with veterinarians has interpreted the 'horn' of Elagabal as a bull's phallus. Many numismatists have adopted her hypothesis and sometimes insulted opponents in a foul manner. Therefore here is a short overview of Weiser's article.

The center of his argumentation is the following sentence:
"The magnification of frouzily engraved dies from mass emissions sets unexpected traps for the unprofessionell viewer." I want to change the sentence to 'for the uncritical viewer'. That doesn't change the meaning but doesn't sound so hard.

Here are his, I think convincing, objections:
1. Objects of ancient mass production are not utilizable as hypercorrect and today arbitrarily magnifyable image source. There were no microscopes in ancient times, but only the more or less normal-sighted  viewer. Deviations occur often. The normal viewer nevertheless understood the depictions. Now to take out details and to magnify them is not acceptable. Weiser calls them 'neglectable runaways'.

2. The context trap. It is not allowed to consider phenomena isolated and unhistorically. An interpretation which doesn't match the valid  historical context is lost.

3. The weighting trap. Important new propositions were expressed on coins always clear and appropiate. This is valid for Nero who put the radiate crown on his head, for Commodus with the club of Hercules and the lion's skin, and for Constantine and the christogramm. Never an innovation has been introduced as a detail which could barely seen by a normal-sighted. 

4. The positivity trap. No emperor would have dare to attach a negativum which should be considered as positive only by do so. Just the Roman coinage was extreme conservative. Even themes from the eastern coinage, f.e. Attis, were taboo and unappetizing things had no place on it.

Furthermore there is no parallelism for the phallus. If the strength of the bull should be shown the horns has been taken but never the intimate things. Then it should be imagined how the phallus of a bull had to be obtained! After sacrificing the bull it had to be extracted and dried for 1-2 weeks before it could be used as 'decoration'. Experiments have shown that by drying it shrinks to 5-12cm. The most impressive picture in Krengels work is only a computer simulation. In fact there is no one plastic of Elagabal with a phallus or with insertions for it! 

Also there is not a single hint in literature even though the ancient authors excoriated Elagabal and never had neglected the pallus. Weiser asks: Is it thinkable that a Roman emperor has tied a dried phallus to his head?, and answers: Naturally not!

And: Krengel lacks the sense for the timeless disgustfullness of her idea. What eventually is possible today at the love parade in Berlin was not possible in ancient times!

Sources:
Wolfram Weiser, Elagabal mit Stierpenis-Hütchen" - Animalphallokrat oder Weichteil-Wolpertinger?, in: GN 196 (2000), p. 53-56.

Elke Krengel: Das sogenannte "Horn" des Elagabal - eine Umdeutung als Ergebnis fachübergreifender Forschung, JNG 47 (1997), p.53-72

Leonhard Schumacher, Think bigger! - Interkulturelle Kontakte zwischen Südäthiopien, Syrien und Rom in 'Macellum - Culinaria Archaeologica'
http://www.archaeologie-sachbuch.de/Fleischer/index1.htm?/Fleischer/Texte/Schumacher1.htm

Best regards

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 07:47:46 pm »
I basically agree with Weiser's arguments, though I find them a bit discursive and theoretical.  Do we really need to hear about all those different kinds of logical trap that poor Elke Kringel has fallen into?

I would hesitate to accept, however, that Kringel's idea is just too disgusting and outlandish to have been depicted on Roman coins.  Who would ever have believed that a Roman emperor would call himself a woman on the coins, unless forced to by the survival of the famous aurei of Gallienus with legend GALLIENAE AVGVSTAE?

What is a Wolpertinger?  I don't understand that word in the title of Weiser's article.
Curtis Clay

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 08:10:53 pm »
The 'Wolpertinger' is a kind of a funny chimaira of the Bavarian  folk mythology. Please take a look at Wikipedia  http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolpertinger

Best regards

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2007, 10:09:50 am »
Ah, thanks!  The European version of our jackelope, I think!

A further proof of the Syrian character of the priesthood represented on the TR P IIII Emperor sacrificing coins: two standards of odd character are sometimes shown behind the sacrificing emperor, or one behind him and one in front.

On this denarius you can also clearly see the sleeves of his costume, and the large ring by his belly through which the drapery is drawn and falls from there to the ground.
Curtis Clay

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2007, 05:41:31 am »
This Markianopolis provincial also shows something like a "horn" on Elagabalus´ head (but maybe it´s only a die defect as Pick already noticed surface irregularities on this die ("Vs. hinter AVP vielleicht ein Buchstabe oder zwei abgesprungen") ).

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2007, 08:19:41 am »
Hi Arminius!

I don't think it is an equvalent of the 'horn' because its place behind the wreath doesn't match the usual place (coming out of the wreath!).

Best regards

All coins are guaranteed for eternity