Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Advice needed: where to put labels on trays.  (Read 5506 times)

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
Advice needed: where to put labels on trays.
« on: June 14, 2007, 04:35:07 am »
Hello,

I'm sure this has been discussed already, but I'm about to change my coin storage system and need some advice... I currently keep my coins in flips inserted in album pages (2-ring binders), but I've been thinking about buying trays, as I like to have easy access to the coins, and also, I think they look prettier on velvet. ;D

The problem is, if I buy trays with dividers (I'm looking at a tray with 80 squares of 24mm, for my denarii), where do I put the labels with the ID information? It bothers me to keep the coins and the labels separated... Also, I like to keep original labels from reputed dealers (like FORVM), as I think this adds value to my collection. Where would I keep those if I use trays??

Any suggestions and advice will be much, much appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Advice needed: where to put labels on trays.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 10:49:47 am »
You could always write up classic style round tickets with just the basic id information to place in the tray openings, and xref them to the corresponding other tickets, labels, etc.  This would give the entire display a more consistent look.  And while the older flips should always be retained, including them all in the trays sometimes tends to give the overall display a "sloppy" look since every dealer's label may be different, or may actually distract from the actual coin in the space.

Just a thought.....

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 06:05:47 am »
Thanks. Yes, it's probably what I will do, but it still bothers me a little bit to keep coins and labels separate... I guess I'll put a small reference code under each coin on the tray and keep the labels in flips in the 2-ring folders. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a mess!

Regards,
Ignasi

jamesicus

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 11:30:31 am »
Thanks. Yes, it's probably what I will do, but it still bothers me a little bit to keep coins and labels separate... I guess I'll put a small reference code under each coin on the tray and keep the labels in flips in the 2-ring folders. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a mess!

Regards,
Ignasi
Yes, I am familiar with the problem. I too like to transport my coins in clear plastic flip/binder pages, yet display them in elegant velvet lined tray cases. I use ABAFIL twenty compartment tray cases and keep the identifying flips/cards in the corresponding three-ring plastic pages -- using them as identification keys as shown in the attached picture. I don't use reference tags under the coins themselves as I find them intrusive and awkward.

James

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 03:40:07 pm »
Thanks for the photo, James. Yes, I've decided to follow a similar path, with coins on trays and cards in folders, although probably not as neatly as you have them... I will, though, keep my reference codes on the coins, as I have bought stackable trays and will have to keep the ID cards separately.

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline ROMA

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 11:16:32 pm »
Im somewhat new here so forgive me if this questions been asked before. I'd like to display some of my coins. I found one webiste that had a display case like shown above but the cost was over 300 dollars. Im not looking to spend that kind of money on a display case right now. Maybe a classy looking binder of some sort, or a less expensive display case? The coins i have sit in a drawer and it'd be nice to have them more accesable for show. If anyone can provide links to websites that sell storage and display material (hopefully at good prices) :) or have any info to add itd be greatly appreciated!
Adversus solem ne loquitor

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 03:01:13 am »
I always wanted such a mahogany case but i'll never have the money to spare.
What I'm using, practical but not very impressive, are these flips:

in these 3-Ring Plastic Binder Pages:

My problem is we don't use 3-ring binders here and mine is pretty full.
It's probably also good in case of a break-in just label it with the most
boring thing you can think of an put it on the shelf.  ;)

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 08:52:25 am »
I keep my flips in a three ring binder but with the flap that holds the description of the coin out of the pocket;  looks messy with all these flaps sticking out but if I'm looking for a coin, I can easily see both front and back; it's also then very easy to pull the flipcumcoin out of the pocket.   
I agree with Andreas about the possibility of a break-in: like the Purloined Letter, store the coins in an obvious location!
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Metrodorus

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 01:22:56 am »
 At the moment I'm about to write up each individual coin in my collection in a permanent catalog. It's o.k. since I have less than 100 coins in my collection. I do save the tags, (as well as the sales reciepts) to the coins I buy if there are any tags and/or recipts, and plan on attatching them to the reference catalog via stamp hinges.

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 11:07:16 am »
"stamp hinges"! That dates you! :laugh:  Stamp and coin stores now carry binder pages with plastic pockets of various sizes: more reliable and more elegant.
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 01:50:13 pm »
I think cabinets are pretty good for storage - though you still have the same problem with the labeling (though roundles suffice).  I can probably remember where most of my coins came from but don't really bother recording it or how much it cost - unless it is a £100+ coin (and there sure arn't too many of them!).  I can certainly remember all the details on each one but having everything on an electronic record means it is very easy to look it up anyway.

This is one of my cabinets - not an ancients one as they are not stored in easy access ;) -- just some 19th-20th century proofs and crowns etc. (nearly all silver)  -- well actually quite a lot of them  :D, though I don't actively persue them anymore.

Malcolm

Offline Gustavo Mazzarollo

• Legionary
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 07:51:35 am »
Althogh very atractive any of these trays just show only one side of the coin, so you lost the reverses. Do someone know a manner to display the two sides of a coin ? Maybe a kind of glass cabinet to put plastic binders inside. Do someone hear a thing of that ?

Offline ROMA

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 03:47:36 pm »
If you have the money you can have virtually anything constructed. One way you can do this is to have your coins "stand" upright in a coinrack with a mirror backing. There's a few sites that sell display cases like this. Here's one for military medals, which shows you the general idea. Heres the link...
http://allamericangifts.com/Products/other_cases/80_coincase.htm

You can use a drawer and have your coins placed in some sort of glass tray but youd have to remove the drawer to see the reverse of the coin. And then you'd probably have to hold the drawer above your head unless your coins were airtight in the holder. Without the use of a mirror I can't think of a way to display both sides of the coin simultaniously. I think a display case that allows you to easily remove a coin to examine it is a nice compromise if you dont like the glass idea.

Offline ROMA

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 04:41:52 pm »
Also, I've seen these chinese coins for sale in display cases on ebay lately. I have no interest in the coins, but this display case is really sharp. I'd like to have something like this made to display my denarii.
http://tinyurl.com/yq2rfn

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 09:24:00 pm »
Quote from: ROMA on September 16, 2007, 03:47:36 pm
If you have the money you can have virtually anything constructed. One way you can do this is to have your coins "stand" upright in a coinrack with a mirror backing. There's a few sites that sell display cases like this. Here's one for military medals, which shows you the general idea. Heres the link...
http://allamericangifts.com/Products/other_cases/80_coincase.htm

You can use a drawer and have your coins placed in some sort of glass tray but youd have to remove the drawer to see the reverse of the coin. And then you'd probably have to hold the drawer above your head unless your coins were airtight in the holder. Without the use of a mirror I can't think of a way to display both sides of the coin simultaniously. I think a display case that allows you to easily remove a coin to examine it is a nice compromise if you dont like the glass idea.
At the British Museum there is one similar to this but there are two mirrors at about 90 degrees, and the coin above so you can easily see the reverse at the same time.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity