Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Attribution d'Alexandre III... Références en ligne???  (Read 2518 times)

Offline Minos

• Caesar
Attribution d'Alexandre III... Références en ligne???
« on: June 14, 2007, 02:54:26 am »
Quelqu'un connait d'autres sites que ceux habituellement cités (Wildwinds, CoinArchives, rg.ancients) pouvant aider à l'attribution de pièces d'Alexandre III (drachmes et tetradrachmes).

Je pensais peut-être me procurer les livres de D. Sear (Greek coins and their values) pour avoir une référence générale couvrant l'antiquité grecque, est-ce qu'Alexandre y occupe une bonne place?

Merci!

Pierre

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
  • The meek shall inherit the earth..so buy a meek
Re: Attribution d'Alexandre III... Références en ligne???
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 03:13:45 am »
Bonjour

I may have this wrong but....you need the reference books of MJ Price available as per other threads on this site, directly via the SNS. Cost about USD275 or is it Euros, can't recall.

Admit I have opened myself up here for torment if I have misunderstood.

Cheers

Alex
'Never has so much been owed, to so many, by so few' - Mervyn King, Governor, Bank of England, 20th Oct 2009

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 01:54:32 pm »
Bonjour Alex,

I know Price work but I unfortunately don't have enough Alexander III coins to justify buying it for now, that's why I asked if Sear, as a general work (wich I could need and afford), gives a good coverage on the subject. Of the few alexandrian I have, there's only 3 that I haven't been able to attribute using the online references. I think something is missing on the web that could help doing so, a mintmark database or else.

Pierre

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
  • The meek shall inherit the earth..so buy a meek
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 10:40:34 pm »
Hi

Sear not much good for Alexander at mint mark/attribution level. I have Price as do a number of people on site, post your 3 coin photos under Greeks or Attribution part and we'll have a look. Other than that, Wildwinds isn't bad but you know about that. Coinarchives too.

Brgds

Alex

nb. Apologies for lack of Francais!
'Never has so much been owed, to so many, by so few' - Mervyn King, Governor, Bank of England, 20th Oct 2009

Offline Potator II

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 02:05:17 pm »
@ AlexB and Minos,

Please, Try in french...I'm pretty sure it will be OK, and I can help you to translate if you need

Cordialement
potator

All coins are guaranteed for eternity