Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Hanukkah Sameach! Tell them you want a coin from FORVM for Hanukkah!!!! Internet challenged? We are happy to take your order over the phone 252-646-1958. Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas!!! Tell them you want a coin from FORVM for Christmas!!!! Internet challenged? We are happy to take your order over the phone 252-646-1958.

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Webmasters (Moderator: Sorin Teodor)  |  Topic: French? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: French?  (Read 4366 times)
Molinari
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Herakles cheated!

« on: May 21, 2007, 04:54:30 pm »

Greetings!

Just curious if FORVM has thought of adding a French board for the collectors in the French speaking world. 

Molinari

Potator II
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Error communis facit jus

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 08:47:02 am »

Hi,

Although I'm french, I'm not sure we are so many that we would need a specific board, as for spanish or italian. And maybe it wouldn't live very much. And we would probably miss the opinions of the majority of our english speaking members.

Just my two cents (eurocents of course  Wink )

Regards
Potator

Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 11:51:25 am »

I would be happy to add one, all I need is a volunteer moderator to keep off all that wild french sexy stuff.  Smiley

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Molinari
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Herakles cheated!

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 05:36:52 am »

Hi Joe,

I would love to serve as a moderator, but if someone speaks French better than I do I suppose they would be the better choice.

I've taken two courses at the advanced level (one Grammar and one Film Seminar).  I've also fulfilled my M.A. language requirement in French.

Molinari

Raymond
Consul

I want to be a coinnoisseur

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 08:40:51 am »

quelles sont les responsabilités d'un modérateur?
Raymond

Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)
curtislclay
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 09:12:27 am »

We have a German board, but nobody uses it.  Won't the proposed French board suffer the same fate?

The fact is that almost all of the German and French participants can read and write English, but only a small number of the American participants can handle German or French.  So if the German and French members communicate in their native tongues, they exclude most American members from the discussion!

Curtis Clay
Molinari
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Herakles cheated!

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 09:18:29 am »

Well, you never know.... the Italian board seems to be a success.  In reality, I would use it because I don't want to forget all that I've learned!

Molinari

curtislclay
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 09:36:27 am »

Isn't there any French numismatic discussion group based in France or Belgium, equivalent to the German Numismatikforum?  I agree that participation in such a group should solidify and improve your numismatic French!

Curtis Clay
Molinari
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Herakles cheated!

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 09:46:40 am »

I'll have to look into that...it's really an idea that just popped into my head so I figured I would ask.

Potator II
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Error communis facit jus

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 11:16:51 am »

In reality, I would use it because I don't want to forget all that I've learned!

Molinari

It's the exact reason why, while being french, I communicate in english on Forum. And it's a great improvement... (so I feel)

Regards
Potator

Molinari
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Herakles cheated!

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 12:41:26 pm »

Potator, 

Do you know of a numismatic (Classical, preferably) discussion board in French?  If so, would you give me the web address?  My reading of Lacan hasn't been enough to help me with technical numismatic terms!

Thanks,

Molinari

leetoone
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Yorkshire, England

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 01:11:01 pm »

I know of this one.

http://www.numis-media.fr/index.php

Lee

Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 03:57:24 pm »

For me a French discussion board does not have to be extremely active to be a success.  If we help a few new collectors or have a bit of conversation now and then, I will be satisfied. 

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
slokind
Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Art is an experimental science

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 09:13:26 pm »

I was thinking of persons I've met who do not in fact know English; many French do, but not so many as Germas or Swiss or Dutch.  And many of us (myself for instance), who must blush for their French, can read it perfectly easily.  Perhaps some French monolinguals would like to participate in the same Forvm as friends of theirs.  Pat L.
Potator II
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Error communis facit jus

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 12:30:06 am »

Potator, 
Do you know of a numismatic (Classical, preferably) discussion board in French?  If so, would you give me the web address?  My reading of Lacan hasn't been enough to help me with technical numismatic terms!
Thanks,
Molinari

Hi Molinari,
The only interesting one I know, is the same as leetone mentioned at
http://www.numis-media.fr/index.php

Regards
Potator

Molinari
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Herakles cheated!

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 05:51:32 am »

Thanks for the link guys!

Molinari

Potator II
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Error communis facit jus

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 06:50:18 am »

Hi again Molinari

You're very welcome.

Potator, 
My reading of Lacan hasn't been enough to help me with technical numismatic terms!

Thanks,
Molinari

Same for me I'm afraid, and not only with numismatics  Grin

BTW, Molinari, and others, if you would like some translation of french words you're stumped with, don't hesitate to PM me, I would be glad to help, if I can....

Regards
Potator

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Webmasters (Moderator: Sorin Teodor)  |  Topic: French? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop