Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tyche on unknown provintial  (Read 1185 times)

a

Tyche on unknown provintial
« on: March 07, 2007, 04:57:44 pm »
Hi,

Please help me to identify this AE17, 4g provintial.

O: Tyche bust right, no legend.
R: Branch (Aphlaston???),  Grek Alpha to left, border of dots.

The type is similar to Arados coin with aphlaston, but in my case aphlaston turned left:
[BROKEN LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Thanks,
Explorer

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
Re: Tyche on unknown provintial
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 07:15:45 pm »
Well, it is safe to say that it is Phoenician.  Otherwise, the reverse is too crude to know for certain, but it seems that your guess as to it being an aphlaston is plausible.  Below is a coin that is very similar to yours.  Also, perhaps you could browse the archives at Wildwinds under the Phoenician section to search for a match.

Phoenicia AE14, Turreted bust of Tyche / Aplustre.
Lindgren 1341

Best, Noah

Offline Maritima

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 05:28:29 pm »
this coin is from the mint of Dora
64\3 B.C.

Offline Boris B

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 01:50:04 pm »
Hi,

Just stumbled across this ancient topic, but had to reply, just in case OP is still interested. The ID given here was wrong. The coin is actually from the mint of Demetrias by the Sea, possibly a predecessor of Caesarea Maritima. It was minted probably in 63/2 BC.

References:

Farhi & Bessarabov 2019 (INR 14) - The Bronze Coinage of Demetrias (by the Sea):
New Types and a Comprehensive Catalogue, no. 3
Barkay 2000-2 (INJ 14) - Rare and Unpublished Coins from the Bank of Israel Numismatic
Collection, no. 2
Kushnir-Stein 1995 - The Predecessor of Caesarea: On the Identification of Demetrias in
South Phoenicia, no. 6

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 07:07:11 pm »
Hi, Friends.  Nice catch!  Here is another example of the type, found at Caesarea Maritima in 1972 and recently noted in Boris B's INR paper from 2019 (cited above):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-151015

It is very similar in appearance to some coins of Dora.
Best regards, Jimi

a

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 03:52:22 pm »
Thank you, Boris, Jimi,

It is indeed very interesting to find correct identification after 14 years. This coin is indeed coming from Caesarea.
I think I have another coin from different type of Demetrias by the Sea. I thought previously that it is from Dora as well.

Regards,
explorer

Offline Alex K2

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 07:04:21 am »
Can you post the other coin? I also have 3, all mentioned (and one illustrated) in Boris's paper.
Best,
Alex

Offline Boris B

• Legionary
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 04:10:13 pm »
Here's mine, same type, likely same pair of dies as OP's coin, probably also same as Jimi's

a

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 05:09:05 pm »
I think that this one is from Demetrias as well - Tyche/Nike type.
The size is 20mm, weight 9.16g

Is my assumption correct?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity