Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: SNG  (Read 25888 times)

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
SNG
« on: January 26, 2007, 07:42:28 am »
I only have a couple of Greek references, Sear's "Greek Coins and Their Values" and the one this post is about.  

I have just bought Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum vol VIII, The Hart Collection, Blackburn Museum because I saw it on sale for 20 pounds.  It seems very clear and straightforward, and looks useful, though not necessarily more so than a few good auction catalogues would be.

Now, I often see "SNG Cop" referred to - the book of the Copenhagen museum collection.  This does not appear in the list of SNG volumes in the one I have.  The collections in this list are all British (and nearly all the volumes were out of print when this Vol VIII was published in 1989).

So, what's the numbering system for SNG?  Do different countries publish different volumes and number them differently?  Is this just a name for a catalogue of a collection, and everyone uses it?  How does this work?

ADMIN NOTE: In addition to reading and posting here, please read and update changes to the SNG list on NumisWiki's Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum page. Click the link below:

SYLLOGE NUMMORUM GRAECORUM

"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
Re: SNG
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 01:16:10 pm »
Someone must have got a batch job of these Vol. VIII's as they regularly appear at this price.  I bought one about a year ago but found it not particually helpful for my needs, though I still like it in my library collection and it does cover 1316 coins  :)

Malcolm

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 02:17:46 pm »
Yes, there's a lot in it, and it's a very broad collection.  For example, it includes one (1)  drachm of Khushru II, just about the commonest type of Sasanian coin, and not what most people would regard as Greek.  But even there it is interesting, because it gives the inscription and a translation, which are very rarely found on line.  As Joe says, it's good browsing material.  So are catalogues, but this is a bit more specific and detailed than even the good ones.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 03:48:06 pm »
I still have only the SNG Righetti and even though it's not one of the main ones it's a good way to practice looking up stuff.
Which is not as easy as I thougt it would be.
Andreas Reich

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 05:13:39 pm »
As is often the case, if you don't know the coin's origin, it's a question of finding a picture of a coin that is coin like the example in front of you.  On-line searches will often get you a match or a near miss.

I see that face matching software has started to become available on the web.  Now it seems to me that if software can match faces, it ought to be able to find a coin like mine.  I wonder  ...

Offline GAT

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 08:59:42 am »
A SNG volume of the Pushkin Museum's collection of coins from the Northern Black Sea littoral has now been published:
http://www.peeters-leuven.be/boekoverz.asp?nr=8554

Offline GAT

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 08:06:54 am »
Update for SNG Turkey:

Turkey

I.              The Muharrem Kayhan Collection. 2002 (1,076 coins)

II.            Anamur Museum
                Vol. 1: Roman provincial coins. 2007 (469 coins)

III.           Çanakkale Museum
                Vol. 1: Roman Provincial Coins of Mysia, Troas, etc. 2009 (667 coins)

IV.            The Selcuk Tanrikulu Collection. 2010 (541 coins from Mysia, Troad and Aeolis)

V.             Tire Museum (Izmir)
                Vol. 1: Roman Provincial Coins From Ionia, Lydia, Phrygia, etc. 2011 (? coins)

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 09:10:16 pm »
"Tire Museum (Izmir)
                Vol. 1: Roman Provincial Coins From Ionia, Lydia, Phrygia, etc. 2011 (? coins)"

This volume has 561 coins and is very useful as are the other SNG Turkey volumes . The text is in English and it has indexes of cities, reverse types and magistrates' names.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 11:00:46 pm »
In addition to posting here, please make updates to the NumisWiki Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum page.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline rennrad12020

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 03:56:40 am »
Came across this today.  I thought some may be interested.

A SNG volume of the Pushkin Museum's collection of coins from the Northern Black Sea littoral has now been published:
http://www.peeters-leuven.be/boekoverz.asp?nr=8554

Bryn Mawr Classical Review 2013.06.27
Sergei A. Kovalenko, Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum: State Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts. Coins of the Black Sea Region, Part I: Ancient Coins from the Northern Black Sea Littoral. Colloquia antiqua, 3.   Leuven; Paris; Walpole, MA:  Peeters, 2011.  Pp. xvi, 192.  ISBN 9789042921375.  €87.00.  

Reviewed by Edward Dandrow, University of Central Florida (Edward.Dandrow@ucf.edu)
I begin by apologizing to the author, the editors of BMCR and its readers for the lateness of this review. Kovalenko’s catalogue of the coinage of the northern littoral of the Black Sea in the State Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts is an excellent addition to the quickly growing corpus of the Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum and is its first publication in SNG format. The author selected this less well-known museum rather than the State Hermitage or Historical museums to make the collection known to western scholars. In his preface he writes, “If this sylloge can even partially remedy this situation, I will consider my task fulfilled.” I consider his task fulfilled.

Two short prefaces, one from the series editor and another from the author, begin the publication. Following these is an interesting introduction that addresses the history of the museum and its coin collection (ix-xiii). Its history is tied to Moscow University. The origins of the collection began in the eighteenth century, but in 1818 it was housed in a distinct Münzkabinett. The coin collection would eventually be housed in the museum, which was the brainchild of P.M. Leont’ev and was founded in 1851. Archaeological excavations in the 1850s and 60s added significantly to the collection. Beginning in 1889, I.V. Tsvetaev began organizing a new phase in the history of the museum—namely converting it into an independent public museum, the foundations of which were laid in 1898 and opened to the public in 1912. The coinage of the northern Black Sea littoral dramatically increased both with expanded archaeological projects in the 1920s and 30s and when A.G. Golikov bequeathed his collection to the museum in 1940/41. It wasn’t until 1945 that a Numismatics Department was created and the coinage in the museum was made available to the public.

Following the author’s introduction is a list of abbreviations, in which the author has translated Russian works into English. All the standard works on coinage in the Black Sea region are represented. The catalogue consists of 1,870 coins dating from the sixth century BC to the fourth century AD and presented on 90 plates. Poorly preserved specimens and those housed in the Department of the History and Culture of the Ancient World are excluded from the catalogue. The division of the coinage is based on city and rulers and consists of the following: Tyra (11 coins), Olbia (583), Cercinitis (7), Chersonesus (147), Theodosia (5), Nymphaeum (1), Panticapaeum (481), Panticapaeum as Caesarea (16), Phanagoria (59), Phanagoria as Agrippa (14), Gorgippia (6), the Sindi (2), and the Kingdom of the Bosporus consisting of Leucon (10), Paerisades (2), Mithradates Eupator (21), Asander (11), unknown kings from 17/16 BC to AD 13 (19), Aspurgus (25), Gepaepyris (13), Mithradates III (13), Cotys I (36), Rhescuporis II (17), Sauromates I (71), Cotys II (15), Rhoemetalces (24), Eupator (11), Sauromates II (29), Rhescuporis III (41), Cotys III (11), Sauromates III (2), Inthimeus (15), Rhescuporis V (28), Pharzanos (2), Sauromates IV (3), Teiranos (3), Thothorses (38), Rademsades (11) and Rhescuporis VI (67). Overall, the number of specimens is representative of the commonness or rarity of the coinage of certain cities and kings. The total numbers, however, obscure rare or unique issues in the collection, such as a bronze coin from Theodosia (no. 753), a Bosporan stater dating from 3/2 BC and found at Phanagoria (no. 1391), and the staters of Aspurgus from AD 32/33 (no. 1394) and King Pharzoios from the mid-late first century AD (no. 460). Concluding the catalogue is a series of excellent indexes that are divided into the following subjects: (1) Cites and Kingdoms; (2) Kings, Dynasts and Chieftains; (3) Obverse and Reverse types; (4) Names of Magistrates; (5) Additional Symbols; (6) Countermarks; and (7) Overstrikes.

The catalogue’s pictures are clear and the information is presented in the standard SNG format. Moreover, the paper and binding are excellent. There are a few minor criticisms that some will consider quibbling. The first is the SNG format itself, which records the weights and die orientations for the coins, but does not include their sizes. As usual, readers should have their rulers or calipers readily available. The second is the bibliographic citations in the Abbreviations section of the book. This reviewer certain welcomes the translation of Russian titles into English, but they should have also been presented in their original language for those scholars interested in full bibliographic citation. Finally, there is an editorial inconsistency to indicate whether this catalogue is part of a series—the title page includes “Part I”, but the cover lacks “Part I”. Despite these minor criticisms the catalogue is an excellent addition to the SNG series and a valuable resource for scholars interested in the northern littoral of the Black Sea. The reviewer looks forward to future publications of the ancient coin collection at the State Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts.

Offline Tomasz P

• Praetorian
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 01:42:20 pm »

Poland

I.                     Łodź. The Archaeological and Ethnographical Museum.

Part 4:  GalatiaZeugitana. 1998.

We have 2 new volumes:

II. Cracow. The National Museum in Cracow,
Part 4 - Sarmatia - Bosporus. 2006

III. Warsaw. The National Museum in Warsaw,
Part 1 - The Northern Black Sea Coast Chersonesus - Bosporus. 2015

Volumes from Łódź and Warsaw are available to buy.

Regards,
Tomek

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 02:07:39 pm »
Do you have link to where they can be purchased online?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Tomasz P

• Praetorian
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 02:34:36 pm »
Unfortunately, Institution which is distributor of those books, is a little old-fashioned, so You can only place an order by e-mail, and then, they'll send to You details including bank account no.

Price of 1 volume is 42 pln (something about 10 euro), but I don't have any informations about shipping charges...

Mail for order: wydawnictwo@pau.krakow.pl

Site of distributor (unfortunately only in Polish :( ): http://pau.krakow.pl/index.php/pl/wydawnictwo/informacje-dotyczace-sprzedazy

If You have any questions just send an private message to me - I'll help as much as i could :)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 07:16:47 pm »
I sent an email to see if I can get them for the Forum shop.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline zoser

• Caesar
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 12:13:13 pm »
Hi everyone, I am interested on buying sng cop, all the 7 books as it seems they are the most mentioned references on Greek ancient coin auctions, does anyone know were to find them? Or download them by paying any fees?

King regards to everyone and thanks

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 04:36:58 pm »
Hi Zoser,

To my knowledge, no SNGS are freely available. The sylloge nummorum graecorum website covers only a limited number of them in its database such as SNG Fitzwilliam.

SNG Copenhagen is very wide and covers a lot. But it does not contain every variant and sometimes may only have one example, when in fact there might be many variants.  To get precise references, you will still need the standard reference for that type of coinage, which is not always feasible. I should note that it does have additional limitations. First, it has some of the worst plates I have ever come across. In some cases, without the descriptions, the plates are frustratingly useless. The second limitation is that the descriptions can be lacking in sufficient detail (as is the case with many SNGs) and sometimes important differences which are noted as variants in other references, are simply not described.  Overall I find it a useful reference (given its wide coverage) and consult it regularly. That is my experience anyway.

I will send you a PM on where you can find it for sale. I do not see it in the FORVM shop unfortunately.

Peter

Offline zoser

• Caesar
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 06:02:14 pm »
Hi Peter, yes first at all I had a look at Forum's site but Joe doesn't have them.

By the way is there any other catalogue that you would recommend instead of these ones? I am mainly focused on Greek coins and would really love to have sources to look for them by myself as without I am really struggling.

Thanks so much for giving g a hand.
Zoser

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 06:20:17 pm »
I would probably go with ANS rather than Cop as I have found it more useful in my Greek collecting, but that's just my preference.

~ Peter

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 08:36:28 pm »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 02:04:03 am »
Hi Peter, yes first at all I had a look at Forum's site but Joe doesn't have them.

By the way is there any other catalogue that you would recommend instead of these ones? I am mainly focused on Greek coins and would really love to have sources to look for them by myself as without I am really struggling.

Thanks so much for giving g a hand.
Zoser

Hi Zoser,

1. I just had a look. Joe is offering a great deal on SNG Copenhagen if you intend to buy it.

2.  Hoover's Handbook of Greek Coinage is very extensive. Unlike Sear, it attempts to capture variants and consolidates them under each relevant catalogue entry, which is incredibly convenient. Whilst each volume is relatively inexpensive, there are 12 volumes (2 of which I believe are not yet published), so the cost adds up. One alternative approach would be to buy volumes that you need now, and others later, as you require them.

Peter

Online Anaximander

• Caesar
Re: SNG Copenhagen
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2019, 02:53:49 pm »
Along with Hoover's Handbook of Greek Coinage series and the SNG ANS series, SNG Copenhagen is a mainstay of my Greek numismatic reference material, but it has its faults.  The folio format is merely inconvenient. Since numismatic references are usually mint-driven, and not organized alphabetically, the biggest challenge can be the lack of a table of contents or index.  Perhaps the Supplement has one, but I've never seen it.  Taking matters into my own hands, I've crafted my own table of contents (or "TOC") for each of the eight volumes.  I hope it can serve others. 

I've left a link to the table of contents pdf at the Numiswiki page for SNG Copenhagen, and it's also available in the TOC folder in my gallery

As a new Forum member, there is quite a bit of novelty value in uploading, linking, posting...  please let me know of better ways of sharing.

Table of Contents

I welcome comments, questions, and above all, corrections. 

Anaximander
My Gallery

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2019, 09:05:49 am »
Excellent.  It will be helpful for me.  We could put the TOC right on the NumisWiki page, if that works for you?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Charles M

• Consul
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2019, 08:01:20 am »
Wow.  What an amount of work went into that!  That will make using SNG Cop so much easier.  Thank you for sharing.

Charles M.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2019, 03:23:53 am »
Why is the SNG Cop on the Numiswiki page described as "Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum, Deutschland, The Royal Collection of Coins and Medals, Danish National Museum"???
I don't think that the Danish like that  ;).

Regards

Altamura

Online Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2019, 06:15:20 am »
Well spotted, Altamura.  How did I not see that?  ::)  Deutschland has already appropriated Slesvig, they can't have Copenhagen, too!  Perhaps Joe Sermarini will be kind enough to do some repairs.

After posting my table of contents for SNG Cop., an effort that cobbled together smaller efforts over several years, I've added a couple more posts to my "TOC" gallery:
The Dewing Collection and the Norman Davis Collection, both in the ANS ACNAC series.  Neither compares to the SNG Cop. (which I have) or SNG Deutschland (which I do not). 
I am working on a table of contents for the SNG ANS series.  That's all of nine volumes, not including the Burton Y. Berry two-volume collection that came before.  I recently posted my table of contents to the SNG ANS Berry Coll. It'd be great if the ANS 'TOCs' somehow got onto their Numiswiki page, assuming there is one. (UPDATE: SNG ANS, with links added from Numiswiki, and other SNG added, links below.   

Here are links to SNG (and similar) posts to my TOC gallery. To be clear, these are just pdf of table of contents (almost an index) to numismatic references, not full text or jpg of coins. 
for TOC SNG Copenhagen
for TOC ANS SNG vol. 1-9.
for TOC ANS ACNAC Dewing Coll.
for TOC ANS ACNAC Davis Coll.
for TOC SNG ANS Berry Coll.
for TOC SNG Levante
for TOC SNG France vol. 1-3.
for TOC SNG Turkey vol. 1-4.

Cheers~
Anaximander

All coins are guaranteed for eternity