Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Hanukkah Sameach! Tell them you want a coin from FORVM for Hanukkah!!!! Internet challenged? We are happy to take your order over the phone 252-646-1958. Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas!!! Tell them you want a coin from FORVM for Christmas!!!! Internet challenged? We are happy to take your order over the phone 252-646-1958.

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage  |  Topic: Can someone explain crystalization in silver coin? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can someone explain crystalization in silver coin?  (Read 1184 times)
Scotvs Capitis
Conservator Princeps
Caesar

This space intentionally left blank

« on: January 25, 2007, 12:39:51 pm »

I've had my eye on a couple of imperial denarii for a long time, the dealer notes that they have crystalization, and is up front about it. They have a slight frostiness but overall look attractive, and for what my budget allows, could fill an important slot in my collection. I am wary though, crystallization can't possibly be good. I have dealt with bronze coins in my uncleaned coin exploits that sometimes seem to have degraded to a granular matrix and become brittle. I discovered this when I dropped a superbly cleaned and nearly perfect Aurelian Antoninianus on the floor once and it shattered into several pieces, breaking my heart in the process. Is silver crystalization a similar phenomenon?

I searched the forum and read what little there was on crystalization, but I'm wondering if there is a better answer, or if I should avoid a crystalized coin altogether.

SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery
moonmoth
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 02:48:58 pm »

Scott - My page might be helpful.  If it isn't, please let me know in what way I can improve it!

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/moonmoth/crystal_coins.html

I haven't seen crystallisation in bronzes, though I have seen a coin with so much leached away that just a light matrix is left.  If you are prepared to relinquish ownership of the pieces of your shattered Aurelian, I would be interested in making an offer.

In a denarius, crystallisation might not be much of a problem.  It will affect the surface appearance, particularly in close-up, but the coin might be fine otherwise.  On the other hand, it might also make the coin very weak and brittle.  I suspect the only way to find this out is a destructive one!

"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."
Scotvs Capitis
Conservator Princeps
Caesar

This space intentionally left blank

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 03:18:29 pm »

Thanks! Excellent link, thanks for the investigation. Very thorough. I also enjoyed the Haristyles of the Rich and Famous page and some others. Linked you up to my blogroll as well.

I may go ahead and get one of the two coins I have my eye on, if only to see how severe the crystalization is.

SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery
moonmoth
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 04:00:04 pm »

Thanks.  I have to update my own links page.  There are a lot of sites worth adding.

If you find out anything interesting about the coins, please post it! 

One other thing I can add.  The weakest crystallised coin I have come across was the Sasanian drachm shown on my page.  It broke like a thin biscuit.  That had quite a matt surface effect, more so than other crystallised coins, and seemed slightly off-white.  Perhaps that goes with the weakening.  Or perhaps not .. more data needed ...

"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage  |  Topic: Can someone explain crystalization in silver coin? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop