Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Really angry  (Read 1879 times)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Really angry
« on: January 05, 2007, 03:31:17 am »
• No Acq. Date.  Rome, SestertiusMarcus Aurelius, issued under Antoninus PiusHead to r.  AVRELIVS CAE SAR AVG PII F COS. AD 140-144.  Rev. Iuventas stg. l. putting inscense on censor; only the N remains of IVVEN TAS and S C.  BMCRE 1398, pl. 33, 11.
Crudely damaged in cleaning leaving only general outlines; also 're-patinated'.

This is not routered and gouged to unrecognizability; rather, it has been abused and permanently damaged by coarse work and crude taste and haste--and then tarted up with some of that 'patination' stuff.  And it was a somewhat worn but very fine coin that only wanted to be cleaned of what could be removed without hurting it; also not a common coin.  Of course, in the reduced file the ugly digging and reducing are less apparent than in hand, but even in this image you may see what is so grievous.  What was fine has been made coarse, and every time I look at it I want to curse and...I don't know what else.  But I can only hate the person who did it.  If you get your hands on sestertii, please handle them with reverence!  Pat L.     

Offline Cleisthenes

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • "not unlike a clamberer on a steep cliff," Newman
    • Swimmin' Lessons
Re: Really angry
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 11:32:22 am »
Pat,

Like my Dad says, "There are some people who should just get the 'heck' beat out of them.  It probably won't do them any good, but it would make me feel a whole lot better!"

Jim
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Nullum Gratuitum Prandium!
"Flamma fumo est proxima!"--Plautus
 :Chi-Rho:

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 01:36:35 pm »
Is that smeary green the "Jax" that I have seen on sale recently?
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Carolus Magnus

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 08:19:03 pm »
I feel your anger Pat

I have 2 sestertii that have been tooled, and most likely repatinated. These were purchased for resale from a highly respected supplier of ancient coins that at one time frequented these boards. I recieved these in a larger lot of 40 large bronzes. I only wish that I knew then what I know now. From payment it took 4 months to recieve them. I guess I was lucky to recieve them at all.
     Every time I look at these 2, I get very angry Either of them would have been a nice coin without the damage. Anyone that would do this to a coin of this age, and history is a criminal. Someone that would take advantage of me by selling them to me as a legitimate coin is a thief!
     I bear the responsibility of buying something sight unseen, and being gullible at the time. I went by reputation alone, instead of personal knowledge. Today, I know better, and only deal with those I know I can trust. I think I will never get rid of them so they serve as a reminder of my foolishness.
                                                                                               Warmest regards

Chuck T

All coins are guaranteed for eternity