Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: PVC used in 2x2's?  (Read 3058 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
PVC used in 2x2's?
« on: December 06, 2006, 02:05:17 pm »
Does anyone know if PVC was ever used in the plastic windows of the cardboard 2x2's?

All the references to the 2x2's I have come across say that mylar is used and that PVC is a problem with the soft flips.

bruce61813

Re: PVC used in 2x2's?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 05:00:27 pm »
I believe tha the windows are mylar, and contain no PVC. So they are safe.

Bruce

Gladiateur

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 04:51:33 pm »
The plastic windows are normally made of Mylar or PVC-free polypropylene, which has the advantage of being far less fragile and much more flexible than Mylar.  If in doubt, the Beilstein test (http://rarenotes.net/beilstein.html) will provide you with a clear answer.  I have tried it and it works.

Regards,

Pascal

Offline Tantalus

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 02:45:47 pm »
There is rest and healing in the contemplation of antiquities. - Mark Twain

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 03:00:58 am »
I recently found out that none of the cardboard 2x2s contain PVC and the early ones actually were made of cellophane. Thats a relief. lol

The only danger is the carboard 'dust' that could be present on the windows, a quick dusting fixes that however.

Someday I want to switch to the Mylar flips...but the idea of the coins rolling around in the flips bothers me. At least the cardboard ones hold them in place.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 08:23:40 am »
Actually, you might be suprised just how well the mylar flips hold on to the coins.  I've had no trouble with my pieces moving around- including the very small ones (a tetartemorion even!). 

However, I just switched to coin drawers so that the coins are more exposed and I can grab them.  I love to hold them for some reason...just love it.  Only bad part is the attributions are not with the coins- which means I have to memorize a whole heck of a lot to impress any viewers!

Molinari

All coins are guaranteed for eternity