Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Advice on storing coins in a coin storage case  (Read 2935 times)

Metrodorus

Advice on storing coins in a coin storage case
« on: November 01, 2006, 06:49:11 pm »
Hello Everyone! 8)
Aamil here. I'm posting because I need some advice. I'm about to purchase a coin carrying case from the internet (safe publications I believe), and I would like to know if anyone had any advice for me on storing coins in such a container once I get it. My main concern is the chance humidity may seep into the case and cause a horrible case of corrosion of my silver and bronze coins *gasp* ??? >:( >:( >:(  >:( >:(, and I don't want that to happen at all. So please, if anyone has the time to post here, please offer me your advice.
Thank you very much,
Aamil. :afro:

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
  • The meek shall inherit the earth..so buy a meek
Re: Advice on storing coins in a coin storage case
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 02:48:13 am »
Hi Aamil

Welcome to the boards!

If the case is not air tight there is always a chance of corrsion. Generally, good quality silver (and gold) coins do not corrode though a patina can form over the years. If bad quality (ie. an alloy), a fouree or plated then of course something bad could occur.

Bronze will corrode though many coins have a protective patina already formed which will help.

A case will be great to protect the coins from physical damage though if the coins move around inside whilst you travel it may not protect them from rub wear.

Hope this help - actually other articles already in this section on this if you look through.

Brgds

AlexB
'Never has so much been owed, to so many, by so few' - Mervyn King, Governor, Bank of England, 20th Oct 2009

bruce61813

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 11:35:31 am »
I like the "Air Tite" capsules. They come in 4 basic sizes and you can get safe foam spacer riings that firmly hold the coins inside so that they won't bang around. They are small enough so that you don't have to worry about moisture, but unlike slabs, thay are easy to open if you need to get the coin out. the capsiules are made of a polycarbonate plastic, so thay are very scratch resistant.

Bruce

Metrodorus

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 11:01:44 pm »
Hi AlexB,
How can I tell if I have an ancient coin of good quality silver? Are there any periods in Roman Imperial history when the AR denarius was debased considerably?
Sincerely,
Aamil.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 07:36:01 am »
During the 3rd Century. By the time Valerian was captured, billon was effectively becoming AE.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
  • The meek shall inherit the earth..so buy a meek
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 05:18:46 am »
Hi AlexB,
How can I tell if I have an ancient coin of good quality silver? Are there any periods in Roman Imperial history when the AR denarius was debased considerably?
Sincerely,
Aamil.

Hi

Greek silver is generally good quality until end of Hellenistic-era. Unless a fouree, fake or similar.

Brgds

Alex
'Never has so much been owed, to so many, by so few' - Mervyn King, Governor, Bank of England, 20th Oct 2009

All coins are guaranteed for eternity