Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What do you do with your coins?  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
What do you do with your coins?
« on: February 01, 2006, 05:21:59 am »
I use the Lindner trays, and like G/< store the location of each coin in my cataloguing software.  Mine has a custom interface over the top of the database, so I do go as far as storing positions, as I can see a visual representaion of the layout with a couple of mouse clicks.  I don't take photos of the trays though, (never thought of it) - but I don't think it would be of much use to me.

The downside of using the trays is that they are not very suited to travelling.  And if you've ever been at a show when a dealer has had an open tray sent flying you'll know of another drawback!

Steve

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 05:58:30 am »
Hi all

I use Abafil cases. They are great : five trays of genuine dark red velvet (not plastic stuff) framed with wood. I take trays for 20 coins, so they are all the same, but other kind exist. And also other kind of cases exist (one tray, two trays...)
They are a bit expensive (150 euros, approx. 180 USD at the moment), so I only use them for "showcase coins" : I don't want the case to cost more than the coins in it, of course.  ;D

Regards
Potator

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 11:24:10 am »
Darn, I was looking for a place to show off my collection of GLORIA EXERCITVS'  ;D

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 08:57:37 pm »
May I again mention that the non-acid sturdy archival long boxes made for storing 2 X 2 inch mounts for 35mm photo slides take Safety Flips exactly as they do slides.  And they fit into bank boxes.  And they are easy to carry.  And if you want them get some before slides become so antique that the boxes have to be custom made and so expensive.  I think I got mine from Adorama.  Six of the 30-inch-long boxes fit in an outer box, too.  And they don't spill.  Pat L.

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 08:05:12 pm »
Hi,

My third century collection is in four cabinets; the rest are in separate trays above apart from the Greeks, Islamic, Chinese and Mediaeval which are in the Victorian drop fron cabinet to the right.

When I'm adding coins to the trays I put a blank white card disc above the felt insert to demonstrate that there isn't a record card in my paper file or computer logging system.

There are coin trays that get looked at more often than others but seldom a day goes by without having one coin or another in my hands.

Regards,

Mauseus

virtvsprobi

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 01:30:23 am »
Niiiiiiiiiiiiice. Now if you only could keep them somewhere other than the closet. ;D

OK, I'm jealous. I'm having one traditional cabinet made to my special specifications, but it is negotiated between the maker and me
that it is not a high priority job... so it's taking a while. Custom furniture makers are always in high demand and he would not have
any time at all if he chose to accept all jobs.

BTW, while I much prefer cabinets to binders* and such, I find the movement of coins in trays to be a problem. These damn irregular antique flans!  Heh heh!
I've been using quarter sized inserts for antoniniani, but now methinks I'll get something with holes for coins somewhat smaller than the US/CDN quarter.

G/<

* - I'd rather keep coins in the archival slide boxes as Pat suggests. In fact I have done so at the beginning.

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 02:56:24 am »
Hi,

A temporary solution as there was a lot of coins to move on with the coins that I decided to kepp from the Suffolk hoard I bought (I kept about 110 out of >1,000). The closet was the only place I could keep the stack of cabinets without too much grief from SWMBO, even then she wasn't too pleased when it was her clothes that got moved out!

Regards,

Mauseus

Metrodorus

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 01:05:51 am »
Right now I'm storing my coins in 2x2 flips and holders (though I have a few in airtites) ;D. They're in a cardboard box that used to house my mom's new cell phone untill I got hold of it :angel:;). This is only temporary storage until I can find a nice, affordable coin storage/carrying case which is to my liking, and costs about $50.00 or less. However, I have a few ancients lying around my desk, and dresser drawer; right now I have a Trajan Decius antoninianus in a box on my bed. Such coins of course, are the ones that have to have corrosion removed from their fabric, or are at least being worked on right now :police:.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity