Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My Judaean Collection Gallery  (Read 34843 times)

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: New Collection Gallery
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 10:10:12 pm »
It's been a long time since I posted to this thread, although I have added one or two coins to my gallery in the interim. 

But I just finished shooting and uploading eight new images of coins I've picked up over the past few months.

The images added are of Hendin varieties:  488, 490a, 498, 499, 501, 638, 649/50v, and 653v

Enjoy !!!

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 01:20:34 pm »
I was just perusing through your gallery of wonderful and beautiful coins. I aspire to create a collection of Judean coins like the one you possess. Slowly but surely, I'll get there. My only problem is I get distracted by all the beautiful Greek and Roman coins out there that are begging me to buy them. You've got a great collection! Keep up the good work!

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2009, 09:16:04 pm »
Thank you for the kind words, GOLDENANCIENTS.

WOW.....I just noticed that this thread has 5000 views.  I hope it's been useful to someone.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2009, 11:17:34 pm »
Just got around to shooting and uploading my most current additions, purchased at the recent Bay State Coin Show in Boston a few weeks ago.

Added, are additional examples of Hendin varieties:  489, 490, 490a, 500, 506, and 507

All of these are "duplicates" of pieces of which I already own examples, but I've decided to do so because I am seriously considering entering a display at the 2010 ANA Midyear Convention to be held in nearby Forth Worth.  By adding duplicates, I can do an "obverse / reverse" display.

Enjoy.....

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2009, 05:46:03 pm »
Nice pecies!
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 06:21:01 pm »
Well....it certainly has been a LONG time since I posted to this thread.....I almost forgot it even existed.

I've posted lots of additional coins since late 2009.....the last two (H518 and 537) just a short while ago....pieces I just won this morning from CNG's most current e-auction.

I also have a Herodian piece on the way from an overseas dealer.  I'll shoot and upload that one after it arives.

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2012, 07:57:04 pm »
Wow, I am once again impressed.  You truly have a wonderful collection of quality coins!
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline SkySoldier

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2012, 11:00:27 am »

I've posted lots of additional coins since late 2009.....the last two (H518 and 537) just a short while ago....pieces I just won this morning from CNG's most current e-auction.

Darn!  ;)

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Judaean Collection Gallery
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2012, 10:55:19 pm »
I finally got around to shooting and uploading a few recent purchases (and one or two not so recent!) to my Judaean and Roman Emperor galleries.

For the Judaean pieces:
•   Hendin 502 (just arrived today from Israel)
•   Hendin 487 (purchased back in March 2009)
•   Hendin 496

For the Roman Emperors:
•   reshot my Otho AE29
•   reshot my Vitellius As
•   new Galba As (purchased in 2010 and just freed from its slab)
•   new Trajan As

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Judaean Collection Gallery
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2012, 04:42:08 pm »
I'm using some time off around the Christmas holiday to finally shoot some purchases I made at the Whitman Coin Show in Baltimore this past November.  I've added a few to my gallery already and hope to get the rest up within the next day or two. 

Images to be uploaded include additional examples of the following Hendin varieties:  639, 640, 642, 646, 648, and 476

In addition, I'm probably also going to create a new gallery with coins representing the Seven Churches of Revelation.  I was able to pick up examples of Philadelphia and Laodikea while at the Baltimore show.  I've had a few others lying around for a while that I need to pull out and shoot.

The link to my galleries in in my "signature", below.  Enjoy.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: My Judaean Collection Gallery
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2014, 12:11:14 am »
For some reason, I tend to go long stretches without updating my gallery with my new purchases.  I recently went through my box and found about a dozen or so coins I purchased within the last year but never uploaded.

So over the next week or so I'll be uploading a bunch of images, including Herodian and Procutorial pieces, some Mattathias Antigonas and other Hasmonaean pieces, and there are even two tiny Yehud silver pieces I'll be adding.

I hope you enjoy them.

Craig

PS...I just uploaded these three a few minutes ago......

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2014, 03:06:02 pm »
I have long admired your Herodian and Procurators gallery.  Absolutely amazing quality and variety.  I'm glad you continue to add your new coins!

Nemo

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2014, 02:46:15 pm »
I was finally able to add a "1/8th denomination" specimen of Antipas to my collection.  These little buggers are difficult to find half-way decent.

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2014, 06:26:40 pm »
I was finally able to add a "1/8th denomination" specimen of Antipas to my collection.  These little buggers are difficult to find half-way decent.

Excellent addition, I had my eye on this one as well. Glad it made it into your collection.

Nemo

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2014, 11:32:59 pm »
Thanks Nemo.....I saw that you were one of the bidders for the piece, but I just had to have it......sorry about that.     :angel:

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2014, 06:44:48 pm »
I might have tried harder if it were someone other than you going for it.  :P

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2014, 03:48:24 pm »
Gee thanks....now I feel guilty.   :evil:

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2014, 04:29:40 pm »
I finally got around to shooting and posting a few more pieces I found in my boxes.  There are four pieces from Mattathias Antigonus and a little lepton of Hyrcanus I.

....only about 10 or so pieces left to do....at least for now, until I find more.

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2014, 07:58:02 pm »
Great additions, I especially like the 8 prutot, very nice examples.  Your motivating me to start photographing more of my Judaean coins.

Nemo

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2018, 06:30:57 pm »
WOW....I had completely forgotten about this thread until I was paging though all the posts a few days ago and came across it.  And I was shocked  :o to see that is has over 12,000 views.  Hopefully at least some of you have found it useful.

In the 3-1/2 years since I last posted, I've uploaded dozens of new images, including three just within the last few days (H-522, 524, and 530).  I still have a small handful to shoot yet and then upload.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2018, 07:11:27 pm »
I went through my Judaean collection piece by piece and found a total of seven coins that had not been photographed and uploaded to my gallery.  All seven have now been photographed and uploaded.

Now it's on to my Byzantine anonymous folles to do the same.

And then I have several new galleries I want to start for various other series.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2018, 12:55:10 am »
I finally added a piece of "hacksilber" to my Judaean Collection.

While they are offered with some regularity most of the pieces offered are European (e.g., Iberian) in nature.  I wanted a piece that was found if not specifically in Israel, then at minimum in the Levant.

Fortunately Joe had one for sale a few weeks ago which met those criteria, and I was able to purchase it.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2020, 01:03:36 pm »
After a ”hiatus” of almost two full years from working on my Judean collection to concentrate on other areas I collect, I finally dipped my toes back into the water and added this somewhat scarcer piece of Herod IV Philip.

I had half-heartedly bid on a few coins during that time, but wasn’t overly concerned about whether or not I won them.

I’ve also used the last couple of months of “house arrest” to go through my various collections and take a long hard look at everything to see if they still held my interest, and if not to make the decision to sell them and use those funds to build up those areas I do want to continue collecting.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2020, 01:37:08 pm »
Nice addition

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2020, 01:22:14 pm »
My most recent addition is a "half denomination" of Agrippa II, struck during the reign of Nero, whose image appears on the obverse.  It was struck between 61 and 68 AD at the mint in Caesarea Panias (aka, Neronias).   The coin weighs 6.43 grams and is 17.5 millimetres in diameter.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity