Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Emperor look-a-likes among modern folk today?  (Read 750 times)

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
Emperor look-a-likes among modern folk today?
« on: August 24, 2006, 11:12:54 pm »
So this is a little off topic, but bear with me and I think it might not be.

I was browsing all the galleries tonight and looking at the portraits of Roman Emperors and their ladies. Each time I saw a particularly well rendered portrait I could think of people I know that sort of look like these emperors. I'm beginning to recognize some of the less obvious portraits now just by sight.

I was thinking, is there a particular person (celebrity, political figure, someone you know, etc.) that to you looks like the perfect image of a particular emperor? In other words, if you were going to cast a movie, or paint a modern portrait, is there someone you know of that would make the perfect modern stand-in?

For me, I don't have a picture, but the bully in my junior high school was John G., and he looked exactly like what I think Nero looks like after seeing hundreds of his coins. I mean the resemblence is striking. Wish I had a pic to see if you all agrred.

So, how about you?
SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
Re: Emperor look-a-likes among modern folk today?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 02:44:59 am »
I have always thought that the actor Ron Perlman (he was Salvatore in 'the name of the rose' and Johner in 'alien resurrection'  would be superb as Maximinus
MAlcolm

All coins are guaranteed for eternity