Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What is wrong with my Honorious  (Read 2237 times)

mikepellerin

What is wrong with my Honorious
« on: July 19, 2006, 04:51:30 pm »
This coin was bought many years ago, and had been harshly cleaned. It has been developing the green streaks as you can see. I don't really know what BD looks like first hand, but this doesn't look like any BD I've seen posted around here.

It's not fuzzy, and after soaking in Distilled water, then scrubbing, nothing more happened than some old dirt came off.

If anyone can help, thanks.

:<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=wreath' target='_blank'>wreath</a>3dot: Mike  :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=wreath' target='_blank'>wreath</a>3dot:

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Re: What is wrong with my Honorious
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 05:05:39 pm »
Hi -

How have you been storing it?  I once had some bronze coins in PVC that developed green crusts, not BD, probably verdigris.   Since then I store everything in archival flips.

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

mikepellerin

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 07:56:45 pm »
Hi -

How have you been storing it?  I once had some bronze coins in PVC that developed green crusts, not BD, probably verdigris.   Since then I store everything in archival flips.

Bill

I had it in what I thought was a Safe Flip, but I guess it wasn't. I'm moving everything to them now (gotta buy a new batch from FORVM). It's been in that old flip for nearly 8 years. At first I thought it was retoning after it had been cleaned, but it's lookin' ugly.

Anybody have any ideas as to what I can do?

Thanks again...

:<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=wreath' target='_blank'>wreath</a>3dot: Mike  :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=wreath' target='_blank'>wreath</a>3dot:

Aamil Qureshi

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 11:13:24 am »
If it's verdigris, does anyone know what to do about it? I have a Gallienus Antoninianus that has similar green encrustations as the Honorius coin.
Aamil. ???

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 04:23:27 pm »
You can sometimes get rid of them by boiling in washing soda and brushing. I've had more siccess with silver than bronze; I don't like using chemicals on bronze because it damages the patina. But I don't mind silver as overcleaned coins will acquire a decent toning in quite a short time.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 04:54:11 pm »
In fact I did almost exactly the same - but I simmered the coins in a mixture of sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate.  Just in case there was some BD involved somewhere .. It got rid of the verdigris, but also changed the colour of the patina.  I sealed the coins with renaissance wax after that, though I doubt if that was strictly necessary and I don't usually do it.

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Aamil Qureshi

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 12:41:16 am »
Thanks guys! I'll let you know how it all turns out!
Aamil :)

Metrodorus

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 12:58:48 am »
So far, everything's fine with my Gallienus. I'm surprised that the blackish patina remained though. However, some silvering has shown up but I don't want it ruined. Should I just leave it be and give it one day's soaking in distilled water?
Aamil.

Metrodorus

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 12:59:58 am »
Wicked cool Honorius, BTW.
-Aamil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity