Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: PACIS GLORIA on a new Constantinian fraction  (Read 13956 times)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
PACIS GLORIA on a new Constantinian fraction
« on: June 08, 2006, 02:46:19 am »
A correspondent in Belgrade has asked me to post this apparently unpublished coin for comments.  His description:

"The coin weighs 1.2g and is approx. 16mm wide. I read the obverse tentatively as CONSTAN-TINVSAVG and the reverse as PACI-S-GLORIA. In exergue I read SIS, in front of which possibly is the officina mark which I cannot decipher. I guess the coin could be a fractional denomination struck sometime around or after 313."
Curtis Clay

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
Re: PACIS GLORIA on a new Constantinian fraction
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 10:44:40 am »
The coin looks genuine and official and of course is unlisted in RIC. It' s possible that was minted around year 318. At that time half-folles of the same weight appeared in Siscia (from the quite rare commemorative issue: RIC VII SISCIA 41-46) and also short Constantinian obverse legend: CONSTANTINVS AVG (RIC VII SISCIA 51).
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 12:11:20 pm »
An entirely new type is, of course, always a very happy discovery. Pacis Gloria would, of course, very well suit the year 313, after the victory over Maxentius. What do you think Constantine is holding in his right hand: is it just a slightly strangely shaped branch, or a double cross?

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 05:53:44 am »
Pacis Gloria would, of course, very well suit the year 313, after the victory over Maxentius.

Such hypothesis could not be excluded, but I believe that it is a "commemorative coin" for the end of the first Civil War between Constantine and Licinius. As Bruun claims, Siscia was the first mint "in Licinius' realm to pass into the hands of Constantine" (RIC VII, p. 411). It happened in year 316 and in June 317 (few months after the peace was signed) Constatntine visited Siscia. Probably at this time the "new" Constantine's mint could prepare such issue. And am I right that half-folles minted around 313 are much heavier, circa 2-2.5 g? For example RIC VI ROME 355-358 with PACI PERPET reverse.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

marandnumiz

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 03:48:53 pm »
There is still a number of interesting questions around this small bronze, so I invite more learned members here to try to answer them:

1.  What would be the exact translation/meaning of reverse inscription?
2. What would be the symbolism of this particular reverse type - emperor standing in military attire with olive-branch in one hand and globe in another - there are numerous examples of emperors holding globe, occasionally of emperor holding olive-branch, but none, to my knowlegde, with this exact combinations of attributes.
3. Could the answers to these two questions be of some guidance in dating the coin, i.e. linking it to a particular event / cut-off date? It seems that two most probable events are: first, the establishment of post-Milvian bridge tetrarchic order by Constantine and Licinius in 313 and second, the new territorial arrangement after Constantine's victory over Licinius at Cibalae in October 316.  If 313, the coin is more likely quarter follis and was minted by Licinius who controlled Siscia; if 316 or later, the coin is more likely half-follis.

Best regards, Marandnumiz

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 05:01:06 pm »
!. PACIS GLORIA = The Glory of the Peace
2. Well, symbolism is quite clear and quite Constantinian. Constantine is a powerful ruler (military dress) and the one who can bring the peace (olive branch) to the world (globe).
3. I still believe that the coin is a half-follis, minted 316-317 after first Civil War. Short obverse legend (CONSTANTINVS AVG - scarce before 317) also confirms such hypothesis.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 04:18:09 am »
I do not see olive branch.  The object is kept strictly horizontally. In my imagination it is more long  and resembles legionary eagle ...

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 06:40:29 am »
I am sure it is an olive branch - a more appropriate symbol for peace I think than a legionary eagle. It is also the fairly standard shape for an olive-branch as rendered on the coinage, i.e. a long central stem with two branches on each side. The position that the olive-branch is held in seems to be purely arbitrary and probably just depends on the whim of the individual die engraver.

Alex.

Offline rick fox

• Caesar
  • Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 04:29:12 pm »
This exact coin is listed on a website dedicated to constatinethegreat's coins.

It is listed as an unlisted fractional probably minted around 313 is Siscia - w/ Constantine holding a globe and branch.

Is there more than 1 type of branch (Olive) on any Reverse?  What I am asking (for my education) is, did the Romans use different branches to mean different things?
Or do we simply see Olive BRanches being used?
Iacta alea est  - 'The die has been cast' (Julius Caesar Jan 10, 49 BC Rubicon River, Italy)

vic9128

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 04:47:31 pm »
Is there more than 1 type of branch (Olive) on any Reverse

You may see laurel, palm and olive branches on Constantine coins

I also believe that this coin depicts an olive branch, but only described it as a "branch" on my site (maybe I should change it)

Offline rick fox

• Caesar
  • Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 10:59:32 am »
I also believe that this coin depicts an olive branch, but only described it as a "branch" on my site (maybe I should change it)

I did not know that was your site.... Nice
Iacta alea est  - 'The die has been cast' (Julius Caesar Jan 10, 49 BC Rubicon River, Italy)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 12:11:39 pm »
Is there more than 1 type of branch (Olive) on any Reverse?  What I am asking (for my education) is, did the Romans use different branches to mean different things?

As Victor says, you can see a variety of braches used on roman coins (palm, olive, laurel), and they do each have their own meaning. A palm branch/frond signifies victory and is usually seen held by Victory, an olive branch signifies peace and is often seen held by Pax, and a laurel branch may signify either victory or cleansing and is seen in a variety of contexts.

While palm branches are easily recognized, laurel vs olive really needs to be determined by context - you'll see a whole variety of renderings on the same type, and there's certainly overlap between how the two are depicted. On the coin above, given the Pacis (peace) legend, it's safe to assume it's an olive branch, but it's not always so obvious.

Ben

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 12:23:12 pm »
Could you provide an example where the branch is held strictly horizontally?

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 01:22:19 pm »
For me, the position of the branch on the coin looks menacing rather than peaceful.

marandnumiz

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 09:03:33 am »
I would say that Constantine definitely holds a branch. Perhaps it is clearer at the photo taken at natural light:

marandnumiz

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2007, 10:39:31 am »
Taking a second look, I would say that the emperor's gesture with his slightly bent-in-wrist right hand could even be the gesture of blessing, almost as if he is sprinkling the holy water with the basil branch, which is still a part of religious ceremonies in the Orthodox church.

Coincidentally, it is Constantine's mother Helena who allegedly found the cross on which Jesus was crucified under a basil bush. Her two most common bronze reverse types have a standing figure holding a branch. Rendering of the branch on the smaller, AE4 Pax Publica type is often similar to that seen on the Pacis Gloria example. Also, they appear to be of similar size and weight. Could this be more than just coincidental? Can we therefore hypothesize same later dating for the Pacis Gloria coin, e.g. late 320s?

Best, Marandnumiz

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007, 12:37:50 pm »
Hi Marandnumiz,

The Pax Pvblica type dates to after Constantine's death (337-340), and so isn't a candidate for a contemporaneous issue. This dating seems pretty secure on a number of grounds.

I favor 313 (commemorating the Edict of Milan) as a date for the PACIS GLORIA type.

The supporting argument for this date/occasion is:

Reverse legend/type/occasion

The PACIS GLORIA legend and rare type point to a special occasion, and the sentiment and legend match that of other fractions issued to commemorate this occasion (Edit of Milan) by Constantine:

FVNDAT PACIS
GLORIA PERPET

These fractions were also issued by Constantine for Licinius, as was the unlisted nummus LIBERATOR ORBIS that also appears to celebrate the same occasion. Some reciprocity might be expected (at least is not surprising), and Cohen does also note LIBERATOR ORBIS issued from Alexandria (i.e. by Licinius), although I'm not sure it's ever been confirmed.

Bust & reverse style

Bust compares well with the late RIC VI bust style in use at Siscia at that time. Compare with Constantine Iovi Conservatori from 311 (RIC VI 222c). Reverse style/pose of figure is also quite consistent.

Weight

Consistent with a 1/4 nummus at the prevailing weight standard of ~5g (in process of reduction) at that time.

The other candidate date/occasion would seems to be 317 post civil war reconciliation, and the size/weight would also fit this date (cf Req. Opt. Mem. fractions issued from Siscia and other mints at this date), but the bust style seems quite a bit off for this date when the later bug-eye Siscia style is expected (see Soli Invicto from this date).

Ben

P.S. I assume this is your coin? Very nice! Could you also post a better photo of the obverse?

marandnumiz

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2007, 02:14:38 pm »
Ben,

313 was also my first guess, but the 'smoking gun' in favor of this date is still missing. We probably will never know for sure, unless a non-numismatic contemporary source (written document, datable art object) helps.

Just to add one more argument in favor of 313 or another early date -the posture of the emperor's figure on the reverse is practically the same as of the Genius of the Roman people reverse, especially of the Siscia quarter folles series of 305-6 - as much as if they were cut by the same personnel (position of legs, chlamys detail, position of left hand).

Attached is a hopefully better obverse photo.

Best, Marandnumiz   

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 12:58:40 pm »

I have a "branches" page on my site which attempts toanswer this question.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/moonmoth/reverse_branches.html
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

All coins are guaranteed for eternity