Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: * and VXXI  (Read 3518 times)

spqrantiquities.com

* and VXXI
« on: May 20, 2006, 06:35:47 am »
Hello Guys,

What do the * and the VXXI on the right side and below Pax mean, is this a reference to the officina and were can I find more info about this, RIC only mentiones the inscription, not the meaning of this.

Thx
Arno

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: * and VXXI
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 07:13:30 am »
The * is just an issue mark.

I think if you look a little harder you will see RIC does explain the T: it is part of a coded series, where the extra letters taken in the order of officina number spell "EQVITI".   See p10.

Steve

Offline Varangian

• Caesar
  • Det er ikke å unngå fare det vi har komme!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 07:14:02 am »
If the obverse is of Probus, your coin is from the third EQVITI series of Ticinium.  The V in the left field is the letter in that series, the star indicates the third issue of the series.

If you're interested in parting with it, I am interested.

spqrantiquities.com

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 07:28:28 am »
Hello varangian and Steve,

No unfortunately....., just purchased it for my own collection, it is a Probus and I know the T stands for minted at Ticinum, you say the star is just an issue mark without further meaning.
I cannot find anything about VXXI, but a correction on my earlier post I was not looking in RIC but in Roman Coins and their Values (Sear). Do I understand it correct that the V stands for EQVITI and what is the meaning of this and what do XXI mean.

Thx

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 07:36:29 am »
In this case, the V stands for officina 5, and the T is the T in EQVITI.  The mint is not explicitly identified.

FORVM hosts this article on the AEQVITI/AEQVIT/EQVITI series:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/forvm/Articles/Probus_AEQVITI/AEQVITI_coins_of_probvs.htm

Steve

spqrantiquities.com

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 07:43:42 am »
Ah fantastic link thx!!!!

Offline cscoppa

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • It's off to the races!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 08:30:28 am »
Great coin and even greater explanations of the code.

There are many places to read about the code and a lot are sited at the end of my article that was sited above. Gert goes into some discussion about the meaning of the code word in another article on this site too.
Chip

PECVNIAE IMPERARE OPORTET NON SERVIRE
Money should be mastered, not served.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=12

virtvsprobi

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 01:27:22 pm »
Gert Boersema's article: http://www.oudgeld.com/webbib/translation_codewords.htm

Doug Smith's article: http://dougsmith.ancients.info/equiti.html

Chart of all the coded Probus emissions, illustrated as far as possible:

[BROKEN LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

G/<

virtvsprobi

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 01:38:50 pm »
If the obverse is of Probus, your coin is from the third EQVITI series of Ticinum.

Not a combination otherwise possible. So not "if", next time you can look at a reverse like this and say "I bet ya a 100 bucks it's Probus!".  ;D

Varangian, I think you should repost your more complete EQVITI, now that you got "reinforcements" from Martin. When you have a chance.

G/<

All coins are guaranteed for eternity