Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: CONSERVATOR AFRICAE SVAE  (Read 3103 times)

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
CONSERVATOR AFRICAE SVAE
« on: April 29, 2006, 12:51:14 pm »
Maximianus AE follis, Carthage mint,306-308 AD.

Obverse: IMP MAXIMIANVS SEN AVG,  laureate head right.
Reverse: CONSERVATO-R AFRICAE SVAE, Africa standing facing, head left, wearing elephant-skin
headdress and holding standard and tusk; at her feet, to left, lion with captured bull, SE-F; in exergue, A.
RIC 56; Cohen 65.

I think that knowledgeable people could comment this coin of a clear historical interest. Please!

virtvsprobi

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: CONSERVATOR AFRICAE SVAE
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 04:14:27 pm »
I wonder  why this article interprete the animal as crocodile.
I have another  coin, of Galerius, where the animal is a lion without any doubts.

virtvsprobi

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 10:03:55 pm »
As we know from another thread, interpretation is all in the eye of the beholder.

I say "tomato", you say "red potato"... ;D ;D

The article describes two types, one with a crocodile and one with lion/bull. Besides, the author raises the question himself if it is really a croc or not.

G/<

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 01:26:42 am »
     Banduri, in 1718, had described the animal as a crocodile.  The point of Eckhel's comment, translated by Stevenson, is to REFUTE Banduri's description, and suggest that the animal cannot be a crocodile.
Curtis Clay

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 03:57:07 pm »
Agree, and I suggest that it may be a tiger, as with the Africa holding an elephant tusk on the approximately (or exactly, depending on whom you agree with) contemporary mosaic from the Hunting Villa at Piazza Armerina.  How WOULD you try to suggest stripes on a die?  Never mind that Africa is not the prime place for tigers.  I've posted the picture twice: I'll see if I can find the link.  Pat L.

virtvsprobi

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 01:36:44 pm »
Pat, don't you think these stripes could be representing the lion's mane?

Cheers,

G/<

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 06:22:16 pm »
Visually, clue for clue, it could be almost any big cat, but I was thinking again of that somewhat anomalous choice of a tiger (looking Bengal!) on the Piazza Armerina mosaic, because (a) the Africa holds a tusk, (b) the coin explicitly alludes to North Africa, (c) the mosaic is nearly contemporary, and (d) the hunt mosaics in Sicily are thought to be from the same workshops, probably North African, as the Tunisian and Algerian mosaics.  I have spent hours hunting for my post of the Piazza Armerina Africa, not to burden the server with a new posting, but here is it for reference in this context.  I could always add a link and delete the picture here if desired.  Pat L.

Offline Windchild

• Consul
  • Invicta Roma Felix Karthago
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 06:37:28 pm »
The original coin have been minted by Maximian comming in Africa to fight the rebellious quiquegentiani (a moorish rebel tribe).
It is generaly accepted that the lion represent Maximian, holding a captured bull (the rebel) in it's claw.
Invicta Roma Felix Karthago

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 03:38:34 am »
If you look at the elefant, it might be that the creator of the mosaic had never seen these animals with his own eyes. Maybe he saw a tiger at the circus and mistook it with a lion?

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 07:38:29 am »
I agree with virtusprobi, the lion's head appears to be looking up, viewed from behind and the stripes are it's mane.

Alex.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity