Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Question to a river-god  (Read 921 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Question to a river-god
« on: March 11, 2006, 08:50:31 pm »
Hi!

This is an AE27 from Nikopolis struck for Septimius Severus by the legate Aurelius Gallus.
Septimius Severus AD 193-211
AE 17, 12.21g
struck under the legate Aurelius Gallus
obv. AV.KL CEP - CEVHROS P
bust, laureate, r
rev. VPA AVR GALLOV NEIKOP / PROC IC
river god (Istros?), laureate, nude to hips, leaning l., head r., resting l. arm on
rocks (or urn) from which water flows, holding with r. hand tree with four
foliate twigs.
AMNG 1310; not in Moushmov
rare, VF, dark-green patina

No I wonder why the head of the river-god is turned backwards. Often such positions have symbolic meanings. I recall the famous 4-river-fountain on the Piazza Navona in Rome where the river Nilus has veiled his head as symbol for its unknown sources. Is it possible that this head too has a symbolic meaning?

Any opinion appreciated.

Best regards

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
Re: Question to a river-god
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 03:25:49 am »
I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your query Jochen, but I wanted to say that that really is a cracking reverse type, well preserved too.  Thinking of another recent thread on what the River god is holding that is obviously a young tree (or large vine) never mind just a bit of a branch   
The god appears to be bearded too.

Malcolm

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 04:13:40 am »
I'm glad you got that wonderful coin, Jochen.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 01:26:28 pm »
River gods are conventionally bearded, so we need to ask why in Danubian lands a few are young and beardless.  Since studying the Haimos and other topographic types, I, too, have wondered about what they hold.  The reeds and other marsh plants are obvious enough for a river, but the richly laden brances, as here, may have fruits that they specially rejoice in producing, just as the Haimos (the eastern part of the Balkan range) is shown to have bears (and deer on the Gallus one).  My specimen of the Septimius river (and being older, bearded, I think this is Ister, Danuvius itself) is less detailed than Jochen's, but even on the latter we cannot really identify the tree botanically.  To me it looks like a nut tree, but that is just what I like to think.  Similarly, I suspect that the young and beardless rivers (rivers when they have source-jars, otherwise topographic but not rivers) are tributaries: rivers near their sources in nymph-springs, but I can't prove that.  I ought to have read more Latin poetry!  Pat L.
P.S. A ship's prow included above the reclining river's knee indicates, of course, a navigable river.  As for non-river topographics, I can offer this one from a late-10th-century Psalter, a detail from a full-page image of David, like Orpheus, charming the animals; I didn't know there was a mountain at Bethlehem, but here he is, and, having known the Paris Psalter picture all my life, I thought of it immediately when I saw the topographic icons (those with no water and sitting more upright) in Moesia Inferior.  There are river gods in Carolingian Mss, too, but I don't have the pictures at hand.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 04:31:34 pm »
Thanks, Pat, for your contribution! Interesting as ever! Could it be that the youthful rivergod is a symbol of the upper part of the river more near to its source (the young river!) and the bearded rivergod a symbol of the lower part of the river (the older river!)?

Best regards

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 06:27:45 pm »
That is what I meant to say, yes, a rivulet growing in size and force to become a tributary and achieving its majority (double entendre) as a great river.  But I don't know if that is an ancient metaphor or whether their "nymphs of the fountains descend from the mountains" as the young rivers to which they give birth, since the verse that I quote is 20th century.
But, you know, when I was a student the professor said that OROS BETHLEEM was a variation of the familiar river god.  The coins show that Mountains as figures existed in their own right.  Notice, too, that the Nature-Boy mountain has his hand on his head, just like Pan at Pella and, of course, all the other figures we have discussed in those terms--including Haimos.
Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity